Wavaya ciem's
Apr 25, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #16 of 38
Got my Quadra yesterday. Very early days, but the fit is excellent (went for the BaX T2 cable, and it feels like it's not even there), comfort also top notch. Sound is good - musical but not lacking in detail. Case is beautiful, too - the other half commented the leather made it look like a proper "gentleman's IEM". :wink:

Will be doing a full review of these over the next few weeks, but will drop in with some more brief impressions once I've had a chance to properly give them a listen. Initial impressions very promising!

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #17 of 38
@narco dacunzolo - how are your Penta sounding now you've had them a little while?

Apr 26, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #18 of 38
Soon will post a full review for Penta. This model follow a reference approach. As Pasquale( CEO of Wavaya) told me, they focused mostly on dynamic and to achieve the most linear freq graph possible. Penta sounds very neutral, with great treble extension and details. It is very easy to drive, with my iphone 6s sounds quite good, but it sounds more natural and with a better soundstage/layering with my Opus 2 in balanced connection.

Overall, i would suggest to pair this model with a neutral or warm player.

Now, i don’t have much experience with electrostatic ba drivers( it’s not easy to try jomo trinity or new Visionear models in Italy), but compared to Noble Khan( that uses piezoelectric driver), Penta has a more reference and serious approach, with same detail retrieval and better treble extension, and most important sounds less fatiguing on treble area.
Khan has a more fun approach, with a stronger and overall better bass response.

Penta shares many things with Pears Sh3, with better treble extension and sounds less splashy, with better bass impact. Sh3 has more organic and fuller vocals due to a mid-bass elevation. Vocals on Penta sounds more linear and less organic.

It’s a great iem if you are looking for a reference type of sound and works great with string instruments and with jazz or classic music. Not bad with pop, but i think( from the freq graph), Quadra could do a better job with pop music.

Apr 26, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #19 of 38
More photos of Penta

F833C490-8C8B-4972-AD82-536F75643810.jpeg
32561B5C-02EF-4201-9FF3-EE7D29360BC1.jpeg
30568C32-013D-4DC5-BEE0-C009C875AF71.jpeg
4DB4DF40-8CA5-46A9-95CF-B414189FAFDF.jpeg

Apr 26, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #20 of 38
Nice!

The Quadra is well suited to pop and rock music - it has an engaging tonality and a nice weight to the sound. Sounds like the Penta and Octa models are their attempt at a more neutral sort of tuning.

If the Penta can match Khan for detail, that's pretty impressive. I'm quite surprised at the level of clarity In getting from the Quadra, to be fair - is not an analytical monitor, but it does dig out some good nuances in my favourite tracks.

More fun listening to come!

Apr 26, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #22 of 38
@Jackpot77 how is your experience with porcelain, compared to other plastic custom iems?

Early to make a definite statement, but initial impression is it does feel more comfortable. The porcelain matches the temperature of the skin really quickly, and feels smooth in the ear. Apart from the fact the ear is closed, it feels a lot less noticeable to me when I'm wearing the Wavaya.

Now, my previous CIEMs weren't done on the best initial ear moulds, so while they fit fine, the recent set of impressions feels a lot more snug. I have an acrylic CIEM arriving in about two weeks from the same set of ear impressions, so will be able to compare wearing comfort a lot better then.

How are you finding them?

Apr 26, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #25 of 38
How fragile do they feel? I'm just worried if you drop them once that'll be end of them.

They actually feel quite sturdy. Sure they will need to be treated with care, but the best analogy I can make is that they feel like a coffee mug - solid in the hand and robust enough to be used everyday without worrying about cracking/chipping/breaking. Also like some coffee mugs, if you drop them from great height onto a flagstone floor you would probably not expect them to come off well, but that is true for a lot of acrylic IEMs as well, especially the thinner shelled ones.

I usually baby my gear anyway, so I'm not concerned the will need to be treated any differently to gear like my CA Solaris or EE Zeus in daily use.

Hope that helps?

May 6, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #27 of 38
I never dropped them, so don’t know.
In the hands they feel quite sturdy and solid. They are a bit heavier than my other acrylic c-iems.
Just read your review, nicely written and well detailed! Just out of curiosity, did you ever try the Shure KSEs and, if so, how do they compare? I'm setting my sights on a pair of electrostatic iems, but still very undecided, the offerings are increasing day by day...

May 8, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #29 of 38
In the process of writing up my Quadra review. Been very impressed with these IEMs - plenty of detail and a nicely musical tuning without any significant weaknesses and a nice sense of balance.

The clarity is excellent for a 4BA setup - imagine the electrostatic drivers will take it up to the next level.

May 24, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #30 of 38

Users who are viewing this thread

Back