WAV Sounds The Best (To Me)
May 12, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #91 of 305

Could you be more specific? Did you download 24-bit files, convert them to 16-bit (via a program like dBpoweramp or foobar2000), and then compare? If you just compared, say, a 24-bit download to a 16-bit CD rip of the same album, you may just be comparing two different masters of the recording.

Or a bad rip.

May 12, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #98 of 305
  Not sure why I would bother converting 24-bit to 16-bit. I would degrade the SQ, lose a ton of information.

You'd convert from 24 to 16 bit to test if the difference is audible or not. I suspect you'll find that the SQ isn't audibly degraded at all (nobody yet has shown 16 bit quantization to be audible on any reasonable recording), and you're really only losing about 3-5 bits of low-level information anyways (no DAC or ADC in audio has a true 24 bits of resolution, and no recording has a low enough noise floor anyways).

May 12, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #99 of 305
  Not sure why I would bother converting 24-bit to 16-bit. I would degrade the SQ, lose a ton of information.

If you are trying to compare, then your statement sounds a more than a bit off. IMO you're trying too hard to prove what isn't going to happen.

May 12, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #100 of 305
I stand by my statement. On my full 2 ch floor system, most 24-bit files I listen to sound better than my 16-bit files.

(hmm maybe I should stop upgrading....)

cheers,

May 12, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #101 of 305
  I stand by my statement. On my full 2 ch floor system, most 24-bit files I listen to sound better than my 16-bit files.

(hmm maybe I should stop upgrading....)

cheers,

And we are saying that the reason the 24-bit files sound better is because they came from a different master, not because they are 24-bit. If you converted the 24-bit files to 16-bit, you could hear for yourself that they sound exactly the same. You haven't compared resolutions yet; all you have compared are different masters of the recording.

May 12, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #102 of 305
If you do a good ABX test you'll find that you can't hear a difference. That's true.

But after reading a bunch of threads here and elsewhere, both written by people pro hi-rez and anti hi-rez, I can't help but feel as though ABX testing is just not foolproof. It's a test that doesn't properly emulate usual listening conditions. It's revealing, yes, but not the entire picture.

My theory, which I wouldn't know how to test, is that any differences are incredibly subtle and may be noticed only under a perfect storm of conditions. If you have a really well-mastered piece of music, which you have listened to countless times on a revealing system and know like the back of your hand, then I wonder if you'd notice a degradation in quality if someone swapped out your 24/192 recording with a downsampled AAC.

From my perspective, an ABX test only proves that differences are not immediately audible to 99+% of the population. There may very well be people out there who can tell the difference between formats and/or resolutions under certain circumstances.

May 12, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #103 of 305
  But after reading a bunch of threads here and elsewhere, both written by people pro hi-rez and anti hi-rez, I can't help but feel as though ABX testing is just not foolproof. It's a test that doesn't properly emulate usual listening conditions. It's revealing, yes, but not the entire picture.

If you do controlled listening with all your concentration focused on discerning differences in direct comparison, and you can't hear a difference; you will NEVER hear any difference listening casually while you sit on the couch and thumb through the liner notes on your CD.

May 12, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #104 of 305
Anyone is free to prove whatever they want.  Is it in my head that WAV is the most pleasing to me?  Yes.  So what.  Just put on the cans, turn on the tunes and enjoy!

That's fine. I believe people should go with whatever gives them the most pleasure, regardless of the reasons behind it.

Just that that doesn't belong in the Sound Science forum is all.

se

May 12, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #105 of 305

If you're just talking bits, you just lose dynamic range. But you're not losing anything meaningful. The instantaneous dynamic range of our hearing is only about 30-40 dB. At 96 dB for 16 bit, that's more than enough.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back