1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

WAV Sounds The Best (To Me)

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by jfaaz, Apr 1, 2015.
First

Back
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Next

Last
  1. StanD
    I wasn't singling you out so don't feel insulted. This thread is full of all sorts of weird speculation.

2. Music Alchemist

Yes, the ability to perceive differences will inevitably improve as one listens for differences, regardless of whether one expects to (or is expected to) hear them or not.

3. Steve Eddy

C'mon, Stan. We really need to clean this place up. No more spit wads shot from the sidelines.

se

4. bfreedma

Thanks, and agree that there's been some weirdness lately. I probably should have posted the question in another thread so it wouldn't get lost in the ultrasonic Tesla pyramid of doom....

5. Steve Eddy

No, it improves when the listeners are trained in what exactly to listen for. Simply "listening for differences," any differences, is where expectation bias gets its foot in the door. Listener training is critical.

se

6. anetode

Yes, by itself it is only priming. If the priming results in increased (objective) performance (versus an unprimed or discouraged control group), only then would there be any evidence of a Pygmalion effect. And yes, in the context of audiophiles there would be a parallel effect whereby priming would also encourage false positives, i.e. increased incidence of subjective impressions which do not correlate to any actual changes in the program material.

What I mentioned was certainly a counterintuitive proposal for testing, but it is one way to confirm mine & bfreedma's suspicion of the possible effects of encouragement. The background of the Pygmalion effect was precisely in trying to produce results which contradicted past assumptions about performance metrics, so I feel that this is well within the spirit.

I once saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

7. bfreedma

Steve,

I'm familiar with the Harman training program. Any others you can suggest?

8. StanD
    I found a theme song for the way this thread has been rolling along.

9. Steve Eddy

You're not helping, Stan.

se

10. Steve Eddy

Nothing specific. That's why I really wish jj was a participant here. He could bring a trove of knowledge to the subject of blind testing.

se

11. StanD
    There's no helping.

12. knucklehead

Not exactly.

"Listening for differences" will reasonably make you more likely to notice differences -- Controlled blind testing will sort out the "imagined" from the real differences.

Saying that people can only notice real differences that they have been trained to listen for implies that the limits of perception are already clearly defined, and there is nothing left to learn. Check out the question and answer at 1:32:00 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IGmLP3_whI (the whole presentation is excellent!).

13. Steve Eddy

If by itself it is only priming existing expectation bias, then I don't see it as being at all akin to the Pygmalion effect as it's commonly understood.

And it's interesting to note that many audiophiles argue, and have for years, that it is the pressure to perform while being tested that diminishes their ability to hear the differences they claim to be hearing. And if there's any truth to that, then your Pygmalion effect theory pretty much crumbles, because the Pygmalion effect would ultimately place them under more stress.

That's fine, but until someone actually puts the theory to the test, it's kind of pointless.

That's been the problem lo these past 30+ years. We're up to our eyeballs in theories, but none of them have ever been put to the test. Because of course it's easy to just sit around spinning theories. Anybody can do that, and have. But from the looks of things, it's just going to be another 30 years of wheel spinning and not getting any further down the road than we were 30 years ago. I'm telling you, I've got some serious theory fatigue.

Oh, you noticed. Thank you. :p

se

14. ToddTheMetalGod
    Why don't one of you rip a WAV file from a CD, then convert the WAV to FLAC and compare the waveforms of both files in an audio editing tool. That's the best evidence we can get. Math already dictates that they should be identical, so compare the waveforms and prove it. This simple argument has gone on too long.

15. Steve Eddy

Or better yet, run them through Bill Waslo's Audio DiffMaker software. If the residual isn't audible, then there's no audible difference between the two.

http://www.libinst.com/Audio%20DiffMaker.htm

I don't know where he has the files now, but at one time he had a challenge. He created two files. One was an orchestral piece I believe. The other file was the same piece, only had added a Sousa band piece playing at something like -70 dB. The challenge was to pick which track had the Sousa band under blind conditions. I'm not aware of anyone who successfully met the challenge, but when you ran the two files through Audio DiffMaker and listened to the residual, you could hear the Sousa band plain as day. It was dramatically reduced in level, but there was no mistaking it.

se

First

Back
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Next

Last