WAV change in codec?
Mar 2, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 8
It is difficult to say anything as you give us so little information.

Shows up where? Start by telling us what gear/software you use and how.

Mar 2, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 8
windows machine running windows 10, click on .wav file and select properties then the details tab and scroll down to item type.. i'm pretty sure that this used to say just wav but now says wav/wave64.

ripping tracks using eac to wav.

weirdly flac rips seem unaffected by the "scratchy" sound.

Mar 2, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks, this info might help someone wiser than me to answer. I am not a windows user myself.

Mar 2, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 8
i recently noticed that .wav now shows up as wav/wave64 in the properties field.

it could be me but i swear that my rips to wav now sound a bit "scratchy".

Did you try googling "What is WAV 64?"

They aren't scratchy. It just requires editing software that is compatible.

Mar 2, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 8
windows machine running windows 10, click on .wav file and select properties then the details tab and scroll down to item type.. i'm pretty sure that this used to say just wav but now says wav/wave64.

ripping tracks using eac to wav.

weirdly flac rips seem unaffected by the "scratchy" sound.

Have you tried to compare the flac and wav files using null test?
You can use freeware like DeltaWave:
https://deltaw.org/

If there is any difference it will show in the report.

Mar 2, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 8
Seems pretty obvious that the files themselves are still the same. Beside some virus, no app would just go changes audio files one by one. And what virus would care to corrupt files enough to change the sound without causing playback errors? You'd need one real sick mind to go code something like that for fun.

I see 2 more likely solutions:
1/ some app(audio or video) you installed, or some windows update caused all wav files to change which app they were associated with, and they got a new icon as a result(from the pack of icons that came with the new app). That shook OP and made him feel and perhaps hear that something was abnormal when the change is visual only.

2/ same as first one basically, but this time it somehow results in those files being played differently(a specific codec)? I find that unlikely as it would be much more typical to have windows settings for all audio being changed/reset. Plus it's not like there is much to do wrong when playing a wav file.
But who knows, sometimes weird stuff do happen.

Mar 3, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 8
I googled... WAV 64 is a Sonic Foundry format. It is exactly the same as a WAV file, but it can contain a longer running time. That is the only difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back