Watts Up...?
Mar 31, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #4,547 of 4,673
do we have to get the scaler what if we want just quartet?

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #4,549 of 4,673
Oh, I get it. I thought a new dac involved, my bad

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #4,552 of 4,673
I think 15k USD is pretty likely. I doubt it's less than 12k. there's a lot going into this product, specially with two chassis as well, its not gonna be cheap to make.
And that’s before cables. You have to spend another 40% - £1400 - on top of the M Scaler to get the same cables that the designer uses. And since by all accounts the new upscaler has a separate power supply there will likely be incredibly expensive cables for that too. So, pro rata, if $15k is the price for the Quartet we can expect at least $6400 for cables plus thousands more for power supply cabling. But you’ll only find this out after you’ve bought it. Of course you may decide once bitten, twice shy.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #4,554 of 4,673
Of course you may decide once bitten, twice shy.
That's where my thinking is headed. I was planning to upgrade my M/TT2 to an M/Dave combo but decided to look around. There are a number of DACs which sound decidedly better for a similar investment. I zeroed in on dCS Apex and Weiss and eventually decided on the latter. I've shared some experiences on the Weiss and Bartok threads if anyone is interested. The Weiss 501 is already markedly better than the Dave, surprisingly, for aspects we think of as Chord strengths: timing, placement in the sound stage, revealing instrumental timbre. I would encourage anyone to have a look around before continuing along the same road.

It's so nice to have one box once more, without extra cables and all the tweaks. Just ethernet in and beautiful music out.

Mar 31, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #4,557 of 4,673
That's where my thinking is headed. I was planning to upgrade my M/TT2 to an M/Dave combo but decided to look around. There are a number of DACs which sound decidedly better for a similar investment. I zeroed in on dCS Apex and Weiss and eventually decided on the latter. I've shared some experiences on the Weiss and Bartok threads if anyone is interested. The Weiss 501 is already markedly better than the Dave, surprisingly, for aspects we think of as Chord strengths: timing, placement in the sound stage, revealing instrumental timbre. I would encourage anyone to have a look around before continuing along the same road.

It's so nice to have one box once more, without extra cables and all the tweaks. Just ethernet in and beautiful music out.
An ESS based dac better than Dave? Yeah right😄👍

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #4,558 of 4,673
An ESS based dac better than Dave? Yeah right😄👍
I think some would argue that the sound of a DAC is determined not only by the quality of the digital stage but also by the quality of the power supply and analog stage. ESS would be inferior to the digital stage in DAVE, but if the Weiss 501 had a superior analog stage and power supply it could certainly be better overall. I would want to hear from those who actually compared them.

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #4,560 of 4,673
I think some would argue that the sound of a DAC is determined not only by the quality of the digital stage but also by the quality of the power supply and analog stage. ESS would be inferior to the digital stage in DAVE, but if the Weiss 501 had a superior analog stage and power supply it could certainly be better overall. I would want to hear from those who actually compared them.
By better I mean more transparent: bad recordings sound bad, good recordings sound good.
A lot of times people mean by better: my favorite song sounds nice.
ESS based designs are fundamentally flawed in their technical ability. There is no fixing (creating new transparency) of the initial signal that comes out of the chip. But you can make a lot of flavors that people find attractive because now their beloved Rock song does not sound so harsh anymore or the classical recording sounds so clear and “transparent”. Real transparency does not care if you like the result, it shows what is there. If you want everything to taste like Whisky-Cola go ahead.
I much prefer a change in taste with every song, like no Whisky tastes the same (if you don’t put Cola in it 😉)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back