Watts Up...?
Mar 1, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #4,486 of 4,673
@GuiltyRocker he answered that further up the page
Hey thanks I completely missed that, this is awesome and will be very exciting to hear. I'm sure Rob is right, the Tweakos will use "Linear" Power supplies and degrade the performance, perhaps Rob should a proprietary umbilical chord port, ah that probably wouldn't work as the Tweakos would just open the box and wire in a regular port to connect the LPS 😂 😂 😂

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #4,487 of 4,673
Id guess too, for quartet scaler 15-17k eur plus power supply 7-8k beeing in total 25k.

But thats normal, since in addition with Dave its rival to DCS rossini/ apex more of…
I've heard a bunch of the top end DACs that are in that price range and much more, and in no case were they anywhere near worth an upgrade from M-Dave.

And I suspect I'll feel the same even about Chord gear: even though I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford whatever, at that price it better represent a "night and day" improvement that even the deaf, broke cultists in ASR/Sound Science could hear.

However, If Rob pulls that off (and I seriously hope he does), he's unquestionably the very top of digital audio designers/engineers.

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #4,488 of 4,673
I've heard a bunch of the top end DACs that are in that price range and much more, and in no case were they anywhere near worth an upgrade from M-Dave.

And I suspect I'll feel the same even about Chord gear: even though I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford whatever, at that price it better represent a "night and day" improvement that even the deaf, broke cultists in ASR/Sound Science could hear.

However, If Rob pulls that off (and I seriously hope he does), he's unquestionably the very top of digital audio designers/engineers.
Love it, same for me.

Mar 1, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #4,489 of 4,673
the Tweakos will use "Linear" Power supplies and degrade the performance
The “Tweakos” use their own ears to decide what improves sound quality. Most of these folks “trust but verify” the claims made by manufacturers. They aren’t wired to be lemmings who just unquestionably accept what an expert tells them. Many have an impressive track record as those who have followed their lead have confirmed their observations.

I expect that the Quartet Scaler’s power supply will be the best power supply that Rob has yet designed. Whether it beats power supplies designed by those who design power supplies for a living remains to be seen. The “Tweakos” will be the ones who answer that.

The Quartet Scaler is going to be way out of my price but I am still really excited to see how the market responds to it. I suspect that it’s going to blow minds by offering a substantial leap over the M Scaler.

Mar 1, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #4,490 of 4,673
The “Tweakos” use their own ears to decide what improves sound quality. Most of these folks “trust but verify” the claims made by manufacturers. They aren’t wired to be lemmings who just unquestionably accept what an expert tells them. Many have an impressive track record as those who have followed their lead have confirmed their observations.

I expect that the Quartet Scaler’s power supply will be the best power supply that Rob has yet designed. Whether it beats power supplies designed by those who design power supplies for a living remains to be seen. The “Tweakos” will be the ones who answer that.

The Quartet Scaler is going to be way out of my price but I am still really excited to see how the market responds to it. I suspect that it’s going to blow minds by offering a substantial leap over the M Scaler.
Hahahahaha, hey I'm a Tweako myself! 😂 😂 😂 I'm just having fun here. I've tweaking since I was in the crib! 😂 😂 😂

Mar 1, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #4,491 of 4,673
Hahahahaha, hey I'm a Tweako myself! 😂 😂 😂 I'm just having fun here. I've tweaking since I was in the crib! 😂 😂 😂
Your username should have been CribTweaker. :relaxed: :smile:

Mar 1, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #4,493 of 4,673

The "Tweakos" will change something, create some distortion, and because they hear something different and like the result, will declare it "better". Then someone will create a product from it and charge huge amounts of money. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #4,494 of 4,673
The "Tweakos" will change something, create some distortion, and because they hear something different and like the result, will declare it "better". Then someone will create a product from it and charge huge amounts of money. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

To be fair though it would be better if its different in a way that they like.

Mar 1, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #4,495 of 4,673
The "Tweakos" will change something, create some distortion, and because they hear something different and like the result, will declare it "better"
I’m not sure that this is limited to the “tweakos”. In fact, I’d suspect it‘s more common amongst non-audiophiles to want to color the sound to make It more to their pleasing. I find that respectable as the aim should be our enjoyment. What I find it tough though to have much respect for are those who only hear what their chosen expert tells them they should hear.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #4,499 of 4,673
I noticed that @Rob Watts used a plural: “the PSUs are my own design.” I assume this means the collection of PSU units manufactured for the Quartet? Not that there‘s a new PSU coming for DAVE as well? An alternative to the DC6 would be interesting…

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #4,500 of 4,673

Users who are viewing this thread

Back