Watts Up...?
Jun 17, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #2,491 of 4,673
….I have never liked surround sound - things just sound blurry, flat and out of focus. You lose the impression of real instruments playing music. I would for sure go for a good impression of depth rather than hearing flat things sounding behind me any day.
I think surround sound would greatly improve if wta/pulse-array DACs was used. In stereo everything is much better in focus. Probably because of the much less time dependent reconstruction errors thus probably making placement in 3d surround space much better.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #2,492 of 4,673
@ Rob Watts, I know back in 2018 you mentioned that you find Hugo 2 to drive the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed perfectly well. A few years down the line now, with the Hugo2 TT released, would you still recommend the Hugo 2 as the perfect match for it, or would you say the Hugo2 TT is now the recommended pairing of choice?

Thanks,

Pete

Jul 18, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #2,493 of 4,673
TT2 is quite a bit warmer (in a good way) in tonal balance than Hugo 2; so when I travel, I take a TT2 with me for hotel use, as the SQ difference is worth the hassle. But it's no where near not a big enough difference to use a TT2 on aircraft (unlike the M scaler for example). So Hugo 2 is still the perfect match for portable/transportable use, which of course is it's raison d'etre!

Jul 18, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #2,494 of 4,673
TT2 is quite a bit warmer (in a good way) in tonal balance than Hugo 2; so when I travel, I take a TT2 with me for hotel use, as the SQ difference is worth the hassle. But it's no where near not a big enough difference to use a TT2 on aircraft (unlike the M scaler for example). So Hugo 2 is still the perfect match for portable/transportable use, which of course is it's raison d'etre!
Thanks for that. I have a Mojo for travel purposes that I'm quite happy with, and am looking for a desktop solution, so TT2 it is 👍

And then M Scaler :)

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #2,495 of 4,673
Dear @Rob Watts thank you for your point of view. For traveling I'm using Mojo but I'd upgrade to Hugo 2 if only:

• I have never listen to TT2 and just love it sound signature most from all Chord dacs, so H2 is not just a step back but also comparing to Mojo and TT2 more fatiguing, less relaxed and less musicial.
  • Both Poly and 2go would really work the way they should out-of-the-box. Adding problematic 2go with H2 and adding up costs of both devices together (plus the different sound signature) makes stay away from H2 and stick with Mojo (its size is also a great advantage when traveling comparing to larger H2). At this price point one would except perfectly working setup. I would love switch from Xduoo X10 TII to Poly but reading all of the horror stories of other users I'm not so sure, especially when Chord revealed new products will be presented this year.
So the perfect solution for me would be much smaller TT2 with build in transport (at least sd card) that I could carry around easily when traveling :wink:

Jul 19, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #2,498 of 4,673
@Rob Watts

Hi Rob!
It's been almost four months since you said that a new product was signed for production. Chord did not make any announcements during this time. Plans have changed? Or is it a longer process than I imagined?
I wonder this also, John Franks indicated that they would release a number of products in the first half of this year, but chord have also said they have problems getting components (fpga:s ?).

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #2,502 of 4,673
@Rob Watts

Hi Rob!
It's been almost four months since you said that a new product was signed for production. Chord did not make any announcements during this time. Plans have changed? Or is it a longer process than I imagined?
I can't really comment on Chord's launch plans, but Covid is making things very tough for any manufacturer with long and complex supply chains - let alone the uncertainty of being able to do events and shows for new products. Fortunately, Chord have a policy of maintaining large stocks for current production, so existing products are less of a problem.

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #2,503 of 4,673
Rob, would you be so kind to share any thoughts about a potential DAVE's successor? Is it still in the "haven't even started to develop" stage or already in "can't comment" stage? 😇 Or there will be no direct successor and we need to wait for "digital amps" line up?

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #2,504 of 4,673
Officially it's "can't comment" but unofficially it's "haven't started to develop"!

Covid is delaying everything; but the upside is that I have spent a lot of time on fundamental research, which has revealed some very interesting things. Also, the next ADC prototype PCB design is now complete, so a lot of progress has been made there.

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #2,505 of 4,673
Officially it's "can't comment" but unofficially it's "haven't started to develop"!

Covid is delaying everything; but the upside is that I have spent a lot of time on fundamental research, which has revealed some very interesting things. Also, the next ADC prototype PCB design is now complete, so a lot of progress has been made there.
Looking forward to your ADC development. Keeping my fingers crossed. It is great that you actually share a lot about your research with community. Appreciate it a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back