Watts Up...?
May 29, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #1,816 of 4,668
Thanks for the explanation Rob.

It could be argued that getting a bass boost when close-miking is more true to real world than the alternative.

I would expect the ribbon is great for capturing the complexities of voice. I do not own a ribbon mic but I have heard them and I am jealous. haha

May 29, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #1,817 of 4,668
The beauty of the AEA ribbon mic is it is passive - no added electronics, just a transformer. And it's a figure of 8 polar response, so at 90 degrees it has zero output - so we are encoding amplitude only with the Blumlein technique. The benefit of the AEA R88mk2 is that it's a stereo mic, so the ribbons are close together but at 90 degrees to one another, and they are matched pairs. I also have a general bias in favour of ribbons, so decided to give these a try first. The only downside is that they are not flat in frequency response, and you get a bass boost when close-miking; but you can tune the amount of ambience by positioning.

The downside seems to be that it doesn't encode phase – or barely so. Also, looking at the height of the device, the ribbon has a certain length, which means an inhomogeneous vertical polar pattern. Don't you expect some tonal deficits from that?

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #1,819 of 4,668
Saving £1300 and getting a better sound is not a negligible improvement in my opinion.

Well there’s also the big hassle of having to keep recharging a battery while at home versus just not having to worry about that.

May 29, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #1,821 of 4,668
How is pulling a lead out and putting it back once a day, and getting a better sound, and saving £1300, a big hassle? £1300 a lot of money, especially in these times.

Think about it - you're listening then the battery dies while doing so. Then what? No music. Wait 8 hours or whatever for it to charge up again before listening again? Or just plug it in normally? If going through all that, you may as well just forgo the battery.

The equipment should work for you, not the other way around.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #1,822 of 4,668
Just on the subject of batteries, I have been listening to battery versus various power supplies for the HMS and the battery did not come top of my list for sound quality. I did wonder if the switching circuits in the battery might be responsible for that?

May 29, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #1,823 of 4,668
Hi Rob,

We, audiophiles, paid great attentions to AC polarity to the convention power supply of the equipment.

However, when comes to switched type power supply, does the importancy of correct AC polarity to equipment still apply?

TIA

May 30, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #1,824 of 4,668
Think about it - you're listening then the battery dies while doing so. Then what? No music. Wait 8 hours or whatever for it to charge up again before listening again? Or just plug it in normally? If going through all that, you may as well just forgo the battery.

The equipment should work for you, not the other way around.
You think about it! The battery gives you six hours of better sound quality and saves you £1300 compared to the cables. Should you have the time to listen longer, just pop the charging lead in. Still sounds pretty good. Can’t understand why anyone with a TT2 or less would spend that amount of money on wires when they could put the money towards a DAVE. And meantime have a battery pack and better sound anyway.

May 30, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #1,825 of 4,668
What’s the recommendations for a battery pack? I’ve scrolled back quite a few pages but see any solid suggestions.

I just put out a lot of money for a Danacable for my Utopia’s, so not willing to spend around same amount for bnc cables. If battery pack relatively cheap, I might give it a go.

Also my cable is currently lost in transit so not even sure I made a wise decision yet.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #1,826 of 4,668
What’s the recommendations for a battery pack? I’ve scrolled back quite a few pages but see any solid suggestions.

I just put out a lot of money for a Danacable for my Utopia’s, so not willing to spend around same amount for bnc cables. If battery pack relatively cheap, I might give it a go.

Also my cable is currently lost in transit so not even sure I made a wise decision yet.
https://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-Pilot-Pro-Smartphones-Chromebook/dp/B00DN0KBXU

only use 12 volts. usage invalidates your warranty.

May 30, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #1,827 of 4,668
May 30, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #1,828 of 4,668
May 30, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,829 of 4,668
May 30, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #1,830 of 4,668
The newer Poweradd5 model has a capacity that cannot be taken on flights, so that is something to be aware of if you plan on traveling with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back