Watery ears + IEMs?
Mar 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Megamorter

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I've been having this dilemma and I was hoping you guys had some insight

I have custom iems and I clean my ears before I wear them. I wear them when my ears are completely clean and (not desert dry) pretty dry.

Within 15-20 minutes, my ears get really watery and it feels like the area between the end of the IEM canal and my eardrum is filled with water and it's drowning my iems and my ears.

It's not all in my head tho, actual water does get produced, not a lot but enough to wear its unbearble to wear my iems.

Anyone know why or how to deal with this?

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
Hey guys I've been having this dilemma and I was hoping you guys had some insight
I have custom iems and I clean my ears before I wear them. I wear them when my ears are completely clean and (not desert dry) pretty dry.
Within 15-20 minutes, my ears get really watery and it feels like the area between the end of the IEM canal and my eardrum is filled with water and it's drowning my iems and my ears.
It's not all in my head tho, actual water does get produced, not a lot but enough to wear its unbearble to wear my iems.
Anyone know why or how to deal with this?

How do you clean your ears?

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 9
Buy some universal IEMs which stay in outer ears like UETF10Pro, Sennheiser IE80/ IE8, JVC FX700, Sony EX1000.

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 9
Why must you clean your ear canals each time before you use your IEM? Imo cleaning your ear canals once every week or two is more than enough. How do you clean your ears?

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 9
you must live in  pretty humid area. or sweat alot... But most people dotn sweat enough for this to happen. How do u clean your ears?

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 9
I'd recommend getting some kind of hearing aid dehumidifier too.

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 9
I think you may be cleaning your ears a bit too much! Don't want to scare you and i might be wrong but you might be trapping water in your ears when washing and then putting you ciem's in stops it running out naturally and could start an infection over time

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I just rinse my ears with water and let it dry for 1-2 hours. I clean my ears before use just to keep my iems clean. Going to look into the dehumidifier tho

Not the best example to follow, but after I rinse my ears in the shower I usually take a thin cloth or tissue and wipe the insides until they're dry. Otherwise I'd get that uncomfortable water-in-ear feeling when I put on my IEMs.

P.S. My skin is also notoriously oily so I often have to wipe my ears with tissue twice a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back