Watercooler Tour Thread - (New eligible participants welcome PM me for details.) - See second post for active tours.
Dec 23, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #961 of 1,215
Hi, it's been a over a year since I've done the tours - I'd like to be added to the Elysian and Oriolus tours! If it's not too late, then maybe the FatFreq tour as well. :)
Merci Beaucoup!

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #962 of 1,215
Hey @Rockwell75! I am curious about joining these tours, my name is James from Mississauga, ON.

I was little unsure if I should ask given my minimal history of posting activity on Headfi though I am very active lurker and on various discord servers as @smue and in CannuckAudioMart. I have no issues giving any extensive ID info to you to apply.

Please let me know!

I was mostly excited about the FIR and possibly upcoming Loki & VEX tours!

Also Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #963 of 1,215
FatFreq tour shipped out to @main character.

The mini was a wild ride. Shocking amount of bass out of such a small IEM. With the right (read: bass first) music it had me grinning ear to ear. It was a total mess with complex, multi instrumental genres but with rap and EDM it was a hoot!

I liked MSE tonality more than I had thought I would. I could see it working as a solid all arounder for most folks. Large but mostly controlled bass shelf that digs as deep as ever and a surprisingly airy and extended treble. Mids were a bit flat and lifeless but not offensive. A really nice V leaning U shaped tuning IMO. Unfortunately the fit was a nonstarter for me. I tried literally every tip in my arsenal and I could not get them to stay in my ears. I resorted to physically holding them in to keep a consistent seal. The long nozzle at a straight on angle from the main shell body just didn’t work for my ears. Also, build quality is very lackluster for a set costing nearly $1800. I’ve seen nicer $50 ChiFi sets.

If FF can up their build quality / finish (substantially) and work on the ergos I could see them being more on my radar. In any event, glad to have finally had a chance to hear some of their IEMs!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #964 of 1,215
Elysian Annihilator, Diva 2023, and EA Fusion 1 tour kit on it's way to @Ike1985.

It is a dangerous tour kit! On first listen, I was set to buy the Diva based on price and what I was hearing combined with the fusion 1 cable. As I started to tip and cable roll with the annihilator, I started to understand the love for this iem. After switching it from n30le ap -> 320max ti, I was absolutely sold and couldn't resist buying it new just to have it now.

I initially found the bass on the annihilator to too boomy, but swapping the cable to the centurion smoothed out the bass and it sounded more balance since the treble sounded like it was brought forward more on the n30le ap. On the 320max ti, it was a match made in heaven! Party time!

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #965 of 1,215
Fat Freq Maestro and Mini set received!! It will be sent to @emdeevee after demoing. Thanks!
IMG_5256.jpeg

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #967 of 1,215
repost from main cooler:

Ok, did some more experimenting. The tour kit came with 2 cables. The stock one that was on it makes vocals unlistenable, I mean it's awful. The vocals are so recessed and distant. Swapped to this thicker one shown here, problem solved, voices/mids much more forward and balanced now. What a terrible pairing. This is a testament to the difference cables can make, TBH it's a change on par with something like Orpheus swapping out these cables. I thought I could write the Anni off as a hyped garbage set but alas it isn't, now it sounds tremendous, night and day difference. Literally thought something was broken, was that bad. Worse than the Jewel cable debacle IMO, it's certainly a better looking cable than the Jewel cable but it totally ruins Anni.

This looks to the be the effect audio fusion 1 cable, would advise all Anni owners to swap out their stock to this or something better. I am not trying to sound hyperbolic but the difference is significant. Cable swaps are normally 10-15% difference in my book aside from Orpheus and a few others that made a significant difference. I would include fusion 1 in that big difference category at least with Anni.

https://www.effectaudio.com/fusion-1

Elysian shot themselves in the foot with the stock cable, just like Aroma with jewel.

Attachments

• signal-2024-01-05-202953.jpeg
    signal-2024-01-05-202953.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 0
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #968 of 1,215
repost from main cooler:

Ok, did some more experimenting. The tour kit came with 2 cables. The stock one that was on it makes vocals unlistenable, I mean it's awful. The vocals are so recessed and distant. Swapped to this thicker one shown here, problem solved, voices/mids much more forward and balanced now. What a terrible pairing. This is a testament to the difference cables can make, TBH it's a change on par with something like Orpheus swapping out these cables. I thought I could write the Anni off as a hyped garbage set but alas it isn't, now it sounds tremendous, night and day difference. Literally thought something was broken, was that bad. Worse than the Jewel cable debacle IMO, it's certainly a better looking cable than the Jewel cable but it totally ruins Anni.

This looks to the be the effect audio fusion 1 cable, would advise all Anni owners to swap out their stock to this or something better. I am not trying to sound hyperbolic but the difference is significant. Cable swaps are normally 10-15% difference in my book aside from Orpheus and a few others that made a significant difference. I would include fusion 1 in that big difference category at least with Anni.

Elysian shot themselves in the foot with the stock cable, just like Aroma with jewel.

Lol! Your first impressions were exactly mine! I almost bought the fusion 1 cable after I heard how well it sounded with both the diva and annihilator. It wasn't until I got home and tried it with the centurion that I opt not to purchase the fusion 1 with annihilator.

The one thing I will note is that I enjoyed the liquid link (stock) on the dx320max ti, but didnt' get much time to compare before I sent the tour kit to you. I just got my own annihilator 2023 and will do some more testing between the two cables.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #969 of 1,215
repost from main cooler:

Ha, that's like one of my favorite cables ever on Turii. Liquid Links Martini. I gotta blame the user on this one. (just playing)

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #970 of 1,215
Ha, that's like one of my favorite cables ever on Turii. Liquid Links Martini. I gotta blame the user on this one. (just playing)
lol, crazy thing is the voiceovers in the song I was using literally were difficult to even hear with the LLM. I could see it perhaps working with an IEM with very forward mids that you want to push back a bit but not with Anni.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #971 of 1,215
lol, crazy thing is the voiceovers in the song I was using literally were difficult to even hear with the LLM. I could see it perhaps working with an IEM with very forward mids that you want to push back a bit but not with Anni.
Yep, exactly right. Lots of upper mids on the OG Turii that, for my preference, can use a little restraint. 😜

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #972 of 1,215
I really enjoyed the LL Martini stock cable with Anni. I also demoed the Fusion 1 with Anni, but felt this was one of those situations where they got it right with the stock cable. Not saying Fusion 1 was bad, it was not, but here the stock was a good match imho.

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #973 of 1,215
I really enjoyed the LL Martini stock cable with Anni. I also demoed the Fusion 1 with Anni, but felt this was one of those situations where they got it right with the stock cable. Not saying Fusion 1 was bad, it was not, but here the stock was a good match imho.
I agree its preference but with LLM it's literally losing information in the midrange. If there ever was an objective loss of information and downgrade this must be it. I'm using a Hugo2, probably the most resolving portable dac, here's the track, see for yourself:

Section wherein voices become almost inaudible with stock cable is 30s.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #974 of 1,215
The Monochaee is set to be delivered to @stacey later today!

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #975 of 1,215
@Tybot bonny
@wazzupi ff

FatFreq and Bonneville kits received. @Tybot, Bonneville will be headed to you next. @wazzupi, my bro, FatFreq is headed to you next!

Must say, the FatFreq unboxing gave me a chuckle 🤣 thanks to @main character!

20240111_170615.jpg

20240111_170645.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back