Water damage question?
Jul 26, 2011 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Randall DZM

100+ Head-Fier
So I couple of days ago, one of the earbuds (left side) on my RE0s got dropped into a bowl of water, I quickly pulled them out but didn't have rice to store it in to pull out the water where I was at. I used them immediately after drying them off.  It sounds slightly softer on the left then the right side now. Is there any lasting damage if the IEMs are now completely dry? Should I be worried that the left side sounds softer?

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 6
By drying them off, do you mean you just wiped the outside? The worst thing to do with wet electronics is to use them before they're fully dry. There could've been water inside the drivers and using them could've possibly damaged something inside.

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
By drying them off, do you mean you just wiped the outside? The worst thing to do with wet electronics is to use them before they're fully dry. There could've been water inside the drivers and using them could've possibly damaged something inside.

Yeah...  And to add to this, I have some more recommendations on how to dry your headphones (or any electronics for that reason).  This is only for next time since once water damage is done, it's permanent.  My trick is to put the headphones in a bowl of dry rice.  If you don't have dry rice, silica gel is a great alternative, but rice is cheaper, and edible :p  This trick works with iPods, phones, any electronic devices in general. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 6
hmmm i took off the tips and dried as much as I could but I basically only dried the outside. The left just sounds slightly softer and a little more recessed through the left earpiece when i don't put both sides in my ear. 

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 6
Dry it for a couple of weeks. Don't expect to return to its previous state. Get some rice, and dry it as much as possible. Many of my electronics seem to work again after a while when their dried, but I've never done it with earphones...

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 6
I've had headphones go through the washer and dryer.  The drier dried all the water out of it, so it ran like new :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back