Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Apr 13, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #2,911 of 14,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LordofDoom nice Bulova you have there, for some reason I do not know they are not very popular and yet they make nice watches.


Thank you!

I had actually bought a Citizen Eco-Drive and after about a week I returned it under duress of a friend, who chipped in the difference, after proclaiming that he could not be my friend anymore if I wore a Citizen watch.

He was somewhat frustrated when we found out that Bulova is actually now owned by Citizen.

biggrin.gif


PS: Those Android watches look really cool, I'm going to go take a look on Amazon, brb.
 
Apr 13, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #2,912 of 14,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found one high street stockist of the Twingear so I'll have a look-see in person but I'm not sure its that big. My Malvern Automatic is 38mm and you can definitely get bigger diameter dress watches but then its not small,...
But on my wrist any bigger would look out of place. I'm on the first notch on the strap so that might say something
tongue.gif


Its all the running I do to blame
biggrin.gif



What's "high street stockist"?
Anyhow, there seem to be ****load of replica's on ebay
frown.gif
...
 
Apr 13, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #2,913 of 14,305
Just H Samuel, UK chain. Usual category of

"Useful for physical examination and closer look at x, then buy online later"

Not that I would actually buy. I'm going into Oxford St. for other things and its just along the way

I am aware fashion watches generally have a premium attached and you are paying for the name
 
Apr 13, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #2,914 of 14,305
Aye, there's premium allright. I wouldn't mind as long as it does the job and looks good while at it. What bothers me is the glass. Anyone knows how scratchy is Mineral Crystal?
If it's POS, then what's considered a durable glass material? ..while keeping it reasonably priced
ph34r.gif


EDIT: Merde! never mind I think I found the answer. After mineral crystal goes saphire crystal, right? What's the cheapest watch that's made of saphire crystal? :p
 
Apr 13, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #2,916 of 14,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Merde! never mind I think I found the answer. After mineral crystal goes saphire crystal, right? What's the cheapest watch that's made of saphire crystal? :p


Just to point out that sapphire is difficult, not impossible to scratch

Accordingly its described as scratch resistant, not scratch proof
 
Apr 13, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #2,918 of 14,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did you think?


I thought they were quite stylish at a really reasonable price. I've linked my brother to the Amazon page, he's in the market for a watch ^_^
 
Apr 14, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #2,919 of 14,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell me more about this one..


Ok:

It starts out as a plain Seiko 'military' style watch like this:

Seiko Automatic Nylon Strap Military Watch SNK809 SNK809K2

It's a basic Seiko military style watch, with the very popular, accurate, and bullet-proof 7S26 automatic movement. The case is stainless steel with a bead-blasted finish and screw-on display back. Comes on the nylon strap pictured and is very comfortable.

A fellow named Harold Ng (goes by the screen name of 'yobokies' at the WatchUseek forums) modifies the watch with a Sinn-style dial and hands. A similar looking Sinn sells for nearly $1000, while the Seiko sells for $118.

Now, I am in NO WAY comparing my Seiko to Sinn, but it is a similar look for a lot less money.

IIRC, the total cost of the watch, including EMS shipping from China to Michigan was $132. The watch arrived in an astounding three days.

If you are interested, visit watchuseek.com and search for posts started by user 'yobokies'. He sells a wide variety of modified Seiko watches at reasonable prices.

I will also PM you with the address to his photobucket page and yahoo email address. Check out his photobucket pictures and send him an email. He is very good to work with, and will try to put together any combination of dial and hands you like, on the watch of your choice.
 
Apr 14, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #2,920 of 14,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok:

It starts out as a plain Seiko 'military' style watch like this:

Seiko Automatic Nylon Strap Military Watch SNK809 SNK809K2

It's a basic Seiko military style watch, with the very popular, accurate, and bullet-proof 7S26 automatic movement. The case is stainless steel with a bead-blasted finish and screw-on display back. Comes on the nylon strap pictured and is very comfortable.

A fellow named Harold Ng (goes by the screen name of 'yobokies' at the WatchUseek forums) modifies the watch with a Sinn-style dial and hands. A similar looking Sinn sells for nearly $1000, while the Seiko sells for $118.

Now, I am in NO WAY comparing my Seiko to Sinn, but it is a similar look for a lot less money.

IIRC, the total cost of the watch, including EMS shipping from China to Michigan was $132. The watch arrived in an astounding three days.

If you are interested, visit watchuseek.com and search for posts started by user 'yobokies'. He sells a wide variety of modified Seiko watches at reasonable prices.

I will also PM you with the address to his photobucket page and yahoo email address. Check out his photobucket pictures and send him an email. He is very good to work with, and will try to put together any combination of dial and hands you like, on the watch of your choice.



You see his stuff on the WUS sales corner, too, fairly often. Very nifty...give it a look.
 
Apr 14, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #2,921 of 14,305
Thanks for the information, guys! My old boss is a big watch collector, and I fell in love with the Sinn 656 he brought back from Germany last year, which is probably why I was instantly attracted to the modded Seiko posted above.

After scratching the crystal of my 4 month old Citizen Nighthawk last week, I've been looking around for something I won't worry so much about abusing. I'll contact Yobokies this week and see what he's got.
 
Apr 14, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #2,923 of 14,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wankerfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try saving up a little more and get a TSAR - that's my next watch for sure.

These things are REALLY tough. Also, avoid the JSAR at all costs, unless you're only going to use it for diving (That thing is MASSIVE, and would look ridiculous on a bare wrist).



That would depend on how large your wrist is...
ksc75smile.gif
I just got the JSAR (and it is amazing). On me it looks fine as the watch still sits well within the width of my wrist. I bought several of the Maratac ZULU watch bands as well. I wear it on the very last hole on the band...

I also have a GSAR (Automatic) on the SS Bracelet and a TSAR that also uses the Maratac ZULU bands as well. The TSAR is going to be sold in the near future...

I also just bought a Nixon 51-30 All Black with SS Bracelet. I will post comments once I have had a chance to wear it a bit....
 
Apr 14, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #2,924 of 14,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifter59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would depend on how large your wrist is...
ksc75smile.gif
I just got the JSAR (and it is amazing). On me it looks fine as the watch still sits well within the width of my wrist. I bought several of the Maratac ZULU watch bands as well. I wear it on the very last hole on the band...

I also have a GSAR (Automatic) on the SS Bracelet and a TSAR that also uses the Maratac ZULU bands as well. The TSAR is going to be sold in the near future...

I also just bought a Nixon 51-30 All Black with SS Bracelet. I will post comments once I have had a chance to wear it a bit....



I agree, I don't think the JSAR is too big unless you have a small wrist. If you wear your Zulus on the last hole, you have me beat...2nd (Maratac Heavy) or 3rd (Maratac S or Bond) hole here. And I thought I had a big wrist.

That Nixon is a monster...your wrist will get a daily workout from that sucker.
 
Apr 14, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #2,925 of 14,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, I don't think the JSAR is too big unless you have a small wrist. If you wear your Zulus on the last hole, you have me beat...2nd (Maratac Heavy) or 3rd (Maratac S or Bond) hole here. And I thought I had a big wrist.

That Nixon is a monster...your wrist will get a daily workout from that sucker.



Here are a few pics of the JSAR and the Nixon....

IMG_0042.jpg


IMG_0012.jpg


IMG_0031.jpg


IMG_0030.jpg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top