Watch Recommendation
Aug 20, 2007 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

meat01

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for a new watch and here are my requirements.
  1. White face
  2. Round face
  3. Leather band
  4. Under $200
  5. Preferably Automatic
  6. Preferably Blue hands
  7. Simple face (not busy or cluttered)

I really like the look of the IWC Portofino, but that is way out of my budget. The closest thing I have seen is the Seiko Spirit.

Anyone have some good suggestions?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 15
That's a lot of precise wants for $200, especially if you like IWCs...

Bands can be replaced - don't make that a need.

Watches are very personal items. I hunted for the "perfect" watch for over two years. I've come to the conclusion that I'll need many watches, and I don't have inexpensive tastes either.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck in your hunt. Have you checked out Invicta? They make some good looking automatic watches for a great price. Many of them look like Rolex watches, and some don't. Most of them are in your price range too. Their website isn't so hot, but you can find other sites selling them.

GAD

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Have you checked out Invicta?

Yes, I have the black diver watch (8926) and I love it. I was hoping there was another watch that was a good bang for the buck in the style I want.

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 15
Check out some of the Stowa watches...
http://www.stowa.com/
Unfortunately, they are more than double your $200 price range.
icon10.gif

IMO, inexpensive mechanical watches are not worth the money. They tend to be off by 15 secs or more per day because their movements typically are not that high quality. You would be better off with quartz in the less than $200 price range.

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

IMO, inexpensive mechanical watches are not worth the money. They tend to be off by 15 secs or more per day because their movements typically are not that high quality. You would be better off with quartz in the less than $200 price range.

I do like those Stowas. Thanks. I will check out the other recommendations as well.

I have a Seiko that loses almost 5 minutes a day and my Invicta is very accurate for $85, so it is hit and miss.

Does anyone have a quartz recommendation?

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for a new watch and here are my requirements.
  1. White face
  2. Round face
  3. Leather band
  4. Under $200
  5. Preferably Automatic
  6. Preferably Blue hands
  7. Simple face (not busy or cluttered)

I really like the look of the IWC Portofino, but that is way out of my budget. The closest thing I have seen is the Seiko Spirit.

Anyone have some good suggestions?
smily_headphones1.gif

I was going to recommend the Seiko Spirit...but it seems like you already found it
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 15
How about this Junkers watch? It's $100 over your price but you will find it very hard to meet all your requirements for $200. I have a special "Moto Guzzi" watch built on black faced version of this watch. It's well built and has nice quality, fit and finish.

It doesn't have blue hands but a little paint could fix that!
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 15
i second the swiss army recommendation.
swiss engineering and affordable. my watch almost matches your description [black hands], and came in under $200.

that...or a nice "roleks"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back