watch in theater or wait for DVD?
Dec 19, 2003 at 12:49 AM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
not to derail the thread, but does anybody else disagree with the taboo of going to a movie theatre by oneself? i go often by myself and always enjoy it. i don't see the big deal really. i have no problem with sitting at home and watching a dvd by myself, so why can't i sit in a movie theatre and enjoy a movie by myself? it's a movie anyway. i go for the film, not for the social event surrounding it (though i also enjoy going with groups of friends).

Ditto, I go to the movies by myself often. Although most of the times I go to the movies with friends, there are times when others are too busy or are pre-occupied with some other engagements to go see a movie with me or the movie I want to see has already been seen by my friends and they don't want to see it again. I am not at all uncomfortable about going to the movies by myself, I can't be waiting around for someone to be ready to go and watch a movie with me.

Dec 19, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #17 of 45
i love going to the movies. and i tried going to see a movie by myself once. didn't really like it. come to think of it i don't really like watching movies by myself at home either. i guess i just like having people around in general.

Dec 19, 2003 at 1:21 AM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by warubozu
I go to the theaters to watch the movies because I can't wait that long for a good movie to be released on dvd. After watching the movie in the theaters and if I feel that it was an outstanding movie, then I'll go out and purchase a copy when it comes out on dvd. The waiting period for a movie to be released on dvd is something I can't wait that long for.

ditto

Dec 19, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

not to derail the thread, but does anybody else disagree with the taboo of going to a movie theatre by oneself? i go often by myself and always enjoy it. i don't see the big deal really. i have no problem with sitting at home and watching a dvd by myself, so why can't i sit in a movie theatre and enjoy a movie by myself? it's a movie anyway. i go for the film, not for the social event surrounding it (though i also enjoy going with groups of friends).

ditto also

Dec 19, 2003 at 2:12 AM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by tortie
I really like the experience of big movies like LOTR & Starwars in theaters.

Get a nice LCD projector and a sorround sound system. Worked for me. While the screen is only about 6' across, it is still visually quite similar to a theater experience. Now all I need to do is make some shelving for the sourround speakers and I'm all set for the ful surround experience here at home.

Dec 19, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
I'm wondering how do you guys watch your movies. Frankly, my stereo sounds better and my screen is large enough (about 65"), I like my own food, and can press pause to go to bathroom. I don't really mind waiting for the DVD to come out.

I hear you. The last time I went to a movie theater was just before I got married......16 years ago.

Dec 19, 2003 at 3:51 AM Post #22 of 45
dildo... I mean ditto! Saw ROTK last night with some friends & loved it...

Quote:

Dec 19, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

but does anybody else disagree with the taboo of going to a movie theatre by oneself?

I think it's just fine to go alone. Since most of my friends are 9-5, I can easily catch matinee shows for cheaper and less crowds IF i even go.

Dec 19, 2003 at 5:49 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
I think it's just fine to go alone. Since most of my friends are 9-5, I can easily catch matinee shows for cheaper and less crowds IF i even go.

I've found out that all the theaters around here will give you matinee prices for regular evening shows if you show them a college ID. Great way to save a few bucks.

I only go to see movies in theaters if I'm excited and they are just released. If you go to see it after the first couple of days the film has already been scratched up by the projector and looks horrid. After that I'll either rent or mooch the DVD of of somebody to see if I like it. If so I could buy it.

Dec 19, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

that never seems to stop people around here. everytime i go to a pixar flick, i end up wanting to kill off the suv-driving jersey yuppie parents along with their 3.5 screaming, whining kids. i commend you for sacrificing your own enjoyment for the good of the theatre's though.

Actually, there are probably a lot more parents than you might think who are like my wife and I - We don't feel like it's right to impose our kids on the general movie going public when they can't sit still for 15 minutes at a time.

The problem is those who don't care whether their kids are disrupting the enjoyment of others. I'm of the opinion that it's the WORST offenders that end up in the theatre. My kids, IMHO, are actually pretty well behaved as compared to what I often see going on at the theatre. The parents, however, don't seem too bothered by this...my guess is that they've rationalized that it's normal, and everybody else just needs to put up with it.

What's the old saying? The apple doesn't fall far from the tree?

The movie house in my home town (it was an OLD turn of the century opera house) actually had a couple of private boxes that people could rent out for larger parties. It was a neat thing for families, as they could bring their younger kids (and some of their friends) without making the experience hellish for the rest of the movie-going public. I wonder why we can't have a couple of these in movie theatres today...it would solve a lot of these problems IMHO. If nothing else, it could serve as sort of a movie-house equivalent of the church crying room, where parents could take their unruly kids without disrupting things for everyone else.

Wow...that turned into a rant!!
redface.gif

Dec 19, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
I've found out that all the theaters around here will give you matinee prices for regular evening shows if you show them a college ID. Great way to save a few bucks.

Trying to pass by with my college ID will only get harder and harder with time.
tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2003 at 10:47 PM Post #28 of 45
I hit the afternoon theater shows soon after the movie comes out, by myself. Tickets are $5.75 here during the day and there's pratically no people.

Yeah I used to believe in that whole "waiting for someone else to free up some time to go" thing, and ended up missing some movies I wanted to see and experience in a theater. Boy am I glad I stopped doing that.

Dec 19, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #29 of 45
There is nothing quite like a very, very large screen and THX or DSS. I don't think that the battle scene of LOTR:TTT can be done justice on a home theatre screen.

When I leave the theatre, I always ask myself if I would buy the DVD when it comes out.

After renting Bad Boys II, I am sorry that I didn't see it in the theatre.

I always try to rent and view before buying. My supermarket has $1 rentals of all releases on Mondays. They have to be in before 9 PM the next day. (Albertson's).

I always go alone to the movies. sob. it's tough taking out a girlfriend when you ain't got a job. and a movie usually costs about $17 after popcorn and a soda. At least the large soda gets a free refill. Just make sure that you do not go to see LOTR and drink the whole soda.
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2003 at 2:23 AM Post #30 of 45
Usually I wait for the DVD. I too made an exception for LOTR. I also am a sucker for old movies reshown on the big screen. I saw The Shining in a small theater since it is one of my favorite movies. I feel that I don’t get my moneys worth at a movie theater. That is why when I do go, I like to go to a matinee and sneak from movie to movie all day long.
280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back