Watch guys
Apr 26, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 4
If you want to think of it as a benefit, a quartz will keep way better time than an automatic. That doesn't make it better. A mechanical watch is a thing of engineering beauty whose historical significance is perhaps unparalleled. I would never spend more than a couple hundred bucks on a electronic based design.

Apr 26, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 4
You don't have to change the batteries in a mechanical watch, but you do have to get them serviced and make sure that they're moved periodically so that they wind themselves. Mechanical are more prestigious but they cost a lot more, don't keep time as well and are more prone to problems.

Apr 26, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 4
I have an Omega Seamaster Pro and chose to go with an automatic. I figured if I'm going to spend that much on a watch, might as well get something that has the extra craftsmanship built into it. I find the smooth, sweeping motion of the second hand of mechanical watches to be more "elegant" and unique than the "jerky" ticking of quartz. It also gives me a sense of pride wearing something different from what 99% of people have. My Omega is very accurate. It runs +/- 2 secs per day, depending on the position I store it overnight. By alternating positions, it can be dead on after over a month!
However, with mechanical watches, even though there is no battery to replace, it is recommended that it gets serviced every 5-7 years. Alot of places charge a couple of hundred bucks to do this.

Here is a pic of my watch...
621380_51_full.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back