Watch for Falling Helicopters too ...
May 15, 2008 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

frozenice

100+ Head-Fier
Helicopter death spurs headphone debate
FIONA MORROW
From Thursday's Globe and Mail
May 15, 2008 at 9:03 AM EDT
VANCOUVER — The death of a pedestrian in Cranbrook, B.C., on Tuesday has raised the question of how loud is too loud when it comes to listening to iPods and other personal music players.

Isaiah Otieno, a 23-year-old student, was killed when he was struck and dragged by a helicopter that crashed to the ground as he was walking to the mailbox.

Eyewitnesses reported that Mr. Otieno seemed completely unaware that he was in danger and a friend told reporters that he often listened to music through earbuds (in-ear headphones) with the hood of his sweatshirt pulled up over his head.

Concern over safe use of headphones is growing. Last year, Carl Kruger, a Democratic state senator from New York proposed a bill to ban the use of iPods and other electronic devices while crossing the street.

Though Mr. Kruger's bill was defeated, his position was echoed last fall by the charity Deafness Research UK, which launched a similar campaign to persuade young people to switch off their personal MP3 players while crossing the road.

But Lorienne Jenstad, assistant professor in the school of audiology and speech sciences at the University of British Columbia says that it's too early to draw any conclusions about the degree of risk.

"There are a lot of beliefs and assumptions right now on how dangerous this headphone use is, but currently no data to back them up," Prof. Jenstad said.

"In our own informal tests, we've found that the range of volume used is very wide - from moderate to levels that are potentially able to cut out all background noise," she said.

And if you've got the volume cranked too high, you may be able to tell by the ringing in your ears, said Geordon Hoag, digital music product consultant at Tom Lee Music in Vancouver. "The average downtown street registers at around 60 decibels. A jet plane flying overhead is generally quoted at 120 to 130 decibels. If you are playing your music loud enough to cut out that level of noise, then you have it cranked to a degree that is damaging your hearing."

It may also depend on the type of headphones you are wearing, he added. Though the perception is that in-ear headphones are more isolating than over-the-head headphones, the reverse is actually the case. "The seal that surrounds the ears on a good set of traditional phones shuts out more external noise," Mr. Hoag said.

Still, research on headphone use has focused on hearing loss, for a reason: Other safety issues are "pretty obvious," said Linda Polka, associate professor in the school of communication science and disorders at McGill University. "I see people riding bikes while listening to iPods, and it's horrific. You shouldn't need to educate people about that."

May 15, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 12
I understand the danger in this but does the fact that Senators and others try to ban their use? I really think it is a personal decision not an area for the government to ban its use. I would have a real problem if I were not able to wear by headphones while crossing the street.

May 15, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 12
That's whacked. A Helicopter fell on the guy while he was listening to his music..
-Getting serious again-
Well, they do have a point. It is dangerous to listen to loud music/isolation headphones in specific situation, but I believe the true moral of this article is to always be aware of your surroundings; No matter what you are doing.

May 15, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand the danger in this but does the fact that Senators and others try to ban their use? I really think it is a personal decision not an area for the government to ban its use. I would have a real problem if I were not able to wear by headphones while crossing the street.

Just like seatbelt laws for cars,and helmet laws for bikes. Im not hurting anyone but myself if im not wearing one, so its none of daddy-governments business.

People want to pass a law that all music players have a microphone to pick up outside noise so you can hear whats going on around you,especially when wearing IEMs. Well doesnt that just ruffle my shorts! What good are the noise blocking propertys of IEMs then?????!!!

Yeah just what i want to hear......cars and people talking, wind, etc...while listening to a quiet passage in a song.

People on average are just plain stupid.

May 15, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 12
Actually, I listen at a low enough level with my IEMs that I can hear traffic. I don't do critical listening while walking around so, I'd rather be aware of my surroundings. That said, unless the helicopter's engine had completely died, I can't imagine any IEM isolates well enough to block out the sound of a crashing helicopter. Helicopters are extremely loud.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just like seatbelt laws for cars,and helmet laws for bikes. Im not hurting anyone but myself if im not wearing one, so its none of daddy-governments business.

Only if you die when you crash. If you become a quad and get SSA disability for life, or if you have no insurance, other people pay for your choice.

May 15, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 12
Don't mean to be picky & all, but I'm w/ filipelli: this is in the wrong forum. This is 'Equipment Forums' after all...

It's a good thread but it would do much better & get more hits over in Member's Lounge.

May 15, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may also depend on the type of headphones you are wearing, he added. Though the perception is that in-ear headphones are more isolating than over-the-head headphones, the reverse is actually the case. "The seal that surrounds the ears on a good set of traditional phones shuts out more external noise," Mr. Hoag said.

You could've fooled me. Has this dude ever worn an IEM?

May 16, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 12
btw guys, there is a better-placed thread about this in the Member's Lounge.
wink.gif

May 16, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 12
Its the stupidiest of people who give rise to Law.

If all were intelligent & wise on planet earth ..then there wouldnt be even a need for Government Jurisdiction.

So take care of yourself is all i can say.

May 16, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 12
Its a dangerous world!
tongue.gif

Not only to we have to look ahead, right and left when walking outdoors. We have to look up as well..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back