Waste of Money to get new IEM's with an ipod?
Apr 27, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #16 of 46
Wait until you get older and decide that you don't want to sell things off to buy new stuff :p

However the standard protocol is to give us an original budget and then double it at least
smily_headphones1.gif
But in all seriousness the only one who can say if something is worth it is yourself. We all have a different sense of what is worth it or not.

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please, for your sake, don't ask anyone around here whether something is a waste of money. These people lost any sense of frugality a long time ago.
tongue.gif

And average joe's top tier thread is a good place to start looking. You'd probably benefit from a strong vocal IEM with good bass.

x2 LOL
smile.gif

If you want bass, I would have recommend IE8, but now there are more out there for you: FX700, Monster Copper/Gold, perhaps Earsonics SM3 too.

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait until you get older and decide that you don't want to sell things off to buy new stuff :p

However the standard protocol is to give us an original budget and then double it at least
smily_headphones1.gif
But in all seriousness the only one who can say if something is worth it is yourself. We all have a different sense of what is worth it or not.

Haha oh I don't want to now, just being an 18 year old senior money doesn't just grow on trees for me (and by money I mean that much money lol).

In the future when I get a job and everything I'll definitely have more than one piece of equipment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Unless I get some customs that is haha

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couple hundred on cables? That's not a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

300 for a new pair of IEMs? That's not a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

300 for a new amp? that's not a lot. My mentality is that if I need to get something, all I need to do is sell something that I already have and that x>300$ piece of equipment is in the bag.
For some reason though, I think 50 bucks for a classical set on ebay is too much lol.

I like to justify my purchases by saying to myself: "well, it's not really $300. It's just 81 cents for the next year." So as long as I get my $.81 a day worth of enjoyment out of it (that I may have otherwise spent on, say, food
biggrin.gif
) it's all good.

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

I like to justify my purchases by saying to myself: "well, it's not really $300. It's just 81 cents for the next year." So as long as I get my $.81 a day worth of enjoyment out of it (that I may have otherwise spent on, say, food
biggrin.gif
) it's all good.

The problem is: you buy another $300 next week and another $300 next month. So you will be having $2.43 for a day
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Please, for your sake, don't ask anyone around here whether something is a waste of money. These people lost any sense of frugality a long time ago.
tongue.gif

Hey, we're frugal! This hobby doesn't involve expensive cars, alcohol and flying jet planes. Headphones are like, 3K, max
tongue.gif
(no one said anything about HE90's).

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

tongue.gif

That gave me the biggest smile of the day
atsmile.gif

The more I read here, the more my once rusty hinge of a wallet opens up wide to fork out whatever shiny things has caught my eye.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Region2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That gave me the biggest smile of the day
atsmile.gif

The more I read here, the more my once rusty hinge of a wallet opens up wide to fork out whatever shiny things has caught my eye.

Hahaha
smily_headphones1.gif
so true..

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #24 of 46
Funny thing is I still cringe to pay $10 for a CD. I'm from the pirate generation, so music has usually been seen as free until my audiophile days.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, we're frugal! This hobby doesn't involve expensive cars, alcohol and flying jet planes. Headphones are like, 3K, max
tongue.gif
(no one said anything about HE90's).

Right, because you only need one. And no amp or sources.
wink.gif

$2.43? That's only $1.22 if I spread it out over two years, and I'll probably sell it anyway when I upgrade by sinking another order of magnitude worth of my cash.

May 8, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #26 of 46

Quote:
Funny thing is I still cringe to pay $10 for a CD. I'm from the pirate generation, so music has usually been seen as free until my audiophile days.

Haha.... I haven't downloaded a song all year (and a lot of last year). The low bit rate mp3s just don't do it for me anymore. Of course it's not like you can find high quality classical recordings from pirates anyway :p

May 8, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #27 of 46

Quote:
Haha.... I haven't downloaded a song all year (and a lot of last year). The low bit rate mp3s just don't do it for me anymore. Of course it's not like you can find high quality classical recordings from pirates anyway :p

actually to derail the thread for a bit; depending on the genre/band you're looking for it isn't that hard to find flac files for download

*shifty eyes*

unless of course you use limewire, in which case you deserve lowest bit rate mp3s possible.

May 8, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #28 of 46
LOL

May 8, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #29 of 46
iPods aren't the best at SQ but they certianlhy aren't bad. Even older models are perfectly competent and listenable, even if the newer models are marginally... and I do mean marginally... better.

There are better sounding players out there, I point my fingers to the usual suspects Cowon and Sony, but iPod sound is just fine.

Headphones/IEMs will always have the biggest impact in the listening experience. Upgrade that first. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back