Waste of Money to get new IEM's with an ipod?
Apr 26, 2010 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

boy2671

Head-Fier
Hi,
I was wondering if i should get new IEM's or a new Mp3 player since i hear that ipods have terrible playback. Anyway what IEM's would you recommend. I Listen to R&B mostly and my budget is about $250.
Thanks

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 46
That depends on which generation of iPod you have. For example, starting with the 2nd generation of iPod touch, the audio was updated and it has a relatively low static floor.

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 46
Always upgrade earphones phones first. The largest gains are to be had from a new set of earphones, followed by an upgrade in source material (e.g. 128kbps to 256/VBR), followed by source quality. A $250 investment in an IEM will do far more for you than a $150 source and $100 earphones. I'm not an Apple person but the iPods I've had (4/5/5.5G classics and a 4G Nano) were all quite competent, if not as full-featured as other players, in terms of playback.

In terms of specific recommendations, you'll probably need to be more specific in terms of what you're looking for and do quite a bit of research on your own. Average joe's top-tier thread may be a good starting point for reading.

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 46
iPods are fine and dandy mate, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And as for iems with them, don't think twice just do it - you telling me the producers of a commercial in-earphone are not going to be designing with their market in mind? Given that Apple devices account for a hefty slice of the portable pie, you can rest pretty well assured most iems, even up to the high end and beyond will sound ace on a stick when paired with an ipod of some sort. People who tell you different have elephant sized ears and listen to their music on things made in production runs of less than one. Brick sized things that run on uranium batteries that last 3 nanoseconds. And have displays in braille and instructions in martian. Etc.

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 46
iPods aren't terrible, at least the latest ones aren't, and if you can't decide on some earphones to go with it, try the RE0.
atsmile.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 46
I dont think there is much wrong with an ipod's sound quality at all, whilst it may not be the "best" out there it is more than good enough for most, myself included.

I found my 6g classic drove some HD555's with nice results...

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 46
Yes the iPod sound is good. It would be fair though to let the OP know that there is "better" out there. At least something with an actual equalizer for one....

However if you spend some money on an amp and get a LoD cable you can get some adequate sound out of the player. They do sound a little thin though :/

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #12 of 46
There's a bunch of reviews on the Golds. They could be good depending on what you want out of them. I would suggest looking at joker's iem review thread (in his sig) as well as looking at the link he posted on the top iem thread. There's a bunch of information here to look at.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 46
Please, for your sake, don't ask anyone around here whether something is a waste of money. These people lost any sense of frugality a long time ago.
tongue.gif

And average joe's top tier thread is a good place to start looking. You'd probably benefit from a strong vocal IEM with good bass.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #15 of 46
Couple hundred on cables? That's not a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

300 for a new pair of IEMs? That's not a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

300 for a new amp? that's not a lot. My mentality is that if I need to get something, all I need to do is sell something that I already have and that x>300$ piece of equipment is in the bag.
For some reason though, I think 50 bucks for a classical set on ebay is too much lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back