Waste of Money? Sony MDR XB1000
May 8, 2013 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

NickFerguson

New Head-Fier
So I just order a pair of the now rare Sony MDR XB1000's for $270 off of Amazon, I currently own their little cousin the MDR XB500's and they are great. I have never tried the 1000's so should I cancel the order or? Any feedback would be helpful.  I do love strong bass and good mids and highs.

May 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 6
Those cans have been discontinued for ages along w/ the rest of the line. I remember about 6 months back the xb1000 was supposedly sold out or had 1-2 pairs left for ~$299 or 300+.  Then I checked a month or 2 ago, and amazon is flooded with them. If anything, I would be worried about getting the legitimate thing since they could be fakes.

I'm not sure if they've been re-continued, but that rarely happens with anything unless it's something like an anniversary edition/re-release. The last I heard, they were discontinued, so you might want to be careful and ask around.

May 8, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 6
I can't recommend it. It was the only HP I've sold and I don't miss it. My issue was with the lower part of the higher frequency range. Voices tended to sound sibilant or distorted. I thought in general it was harsh. Bass was fine, but I don't think the XB 1000 did anything else well. I think retail was $299. The set I bought was from Beach Audio for considerably less. This is all subjective, but  in my opinion there are far better ways to spend $270 on a headphone. Good luck.

May 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 6
You may very well love the XB1000. I don't have an alternative because that is the only 70mm driver I'm aware of. If I was looking in that price range  and a similar bass response, I would probably research a Beyerdynamic DT 990/ 880 or a Ultrasone. Haven't heard them but they seem well-liked here. The best advice you'll get is from a member- MalVeauX. I'm sure there is a "best bass-head headphone for $300" thread in this forum. The search function is your best friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back