WASAPI Shared
Jan 16, 2010 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Crazy*Carl

500+ Head-Fier
I am running windows 7 64bit with foobar2000 v1.0 and WASAPI. Is there a way i can still use foobar with WASAPI while still getting sound from everything else on my computer? Is this what "shared" mode is? Thanks.

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 13
WASAPI blocks all sounds but Foobar. I suggest you use Kernel Streaming instead.
With either WASAPI or Kernel Streaming you get bit perfect playback and you bypass windows kmixer.

Jan 16, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest you use Kernel Streaming instead.

serious drivers run KS in exclusive mode, mine do
wink.gif

the whole point of bit-perfect is to forbid mixing, if you want mixing..use DS, the mixer works in 32float on Vista/7, hardly audible I would believe and you'd get mixing.

can't tell about WASAPI shared, but I'm sure google could.

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 13
As far as I know, if you choose WASAPI in Foobar, Foobar uses it in exclusive mode.
In this mode the Win audio engine (the mixer) is bypassed.
You might try to uncheck ‘allow exclusive mode’ in the sound panel but I wonder if this will force Foobar to use shared mode.
The advantage of WASAPI in exclusive mode is bypassing the mixer, in shared mode it doesn’t. You might ask yourself what you gain by using WASAPI if you are in need of mixing. I agree with leeperry, if you want system sounds and audio at the same time, use DS

Jan 17, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 13
Its just annoying to have to close foobar everytime I want to watch a video or any other thing I do on the computer that uses sound. So DS I shall use.

Jan 17, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its just annoying to have to close foobar everytime I want to watch a video or any other thing I do on the computer that uses sound. So DS I shall use.

As far as I can tell, you just have to hit stop instead of pause and it will relinquish control of the driver.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 13
With ASIO it sometimes worked like that. With WASAPI, I have to hit stop, then reload the application that I want to use sound with. And what if I want music and something else at the same time? I'm gonna stick with DS.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 13
I'm not sure how Win7 works as I haven't received my copy yet, but it's very possible it works just like Vista. Go to control panel/sound and make your speakers the default audio device. This means anything soundwise comes out of your speakers or the headphone jack of course. Have foobar use wasapi in exclusive mode and you will get exclusive use of whatever output you have told foobar to use; like your dac. Both at the same time.

I listen to music with my phones connected to my usb dac/amp while I surf the web (like right now). I can listen to videos or music or any other sounds from websites (or any other program running) at the same time I'm listening to tunes. In fact, if I don't put my tunes on pause, I will hear music from the headphones and whatever from the speakers. Often I will browse my favorite new music sites where you can legally download new music (usually low bitrate mp3s) from artists, I guess hoping you will buy the cd. I pause what I'm listening to, sample the new song, start the download, then go back to what I was listening to.

Again, tell the system to default to speaker/headphone jack. Tell foobar to use wasapi exclusive to whatever output you want. These both can exist at the same time. I used to use asio or kernal streaming before wasapi made them unecessary (unless you're still using xp)

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

I don't have speakers.

There is no speaker in your computer?
(The computer sees a headphone jack as a speaker too)
Go to control panel and open 'sound'
What is listed under playback device?
Use that.
Normally it says speakers, but that doesn't mean big external ones, it means the little one(s) built in.

Is "everything else" possibly something you have hanging off a usb port?

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #11 of 13
I use my external DAC as the playback device. I have an onboard sound which is there, but not being used. If i set that to default, foobar works with wasapi but i still cant hear any other windows activities.

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

I am running windows 7 64bit with foobar2000 v1.0 and WASAPI. Is there a way i can still use foobar with WASAPI while still getting sound from everything else on my computer? Is this what "shared" mode is? Thanks.

Shared mode is normal playback and exclusive mode is what wasapi uses (I think). You can listen to things on your PC and use wasapi if you are using digital output and still have your speakers connected to analog output. You can get crappy speakers for real cheap

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #13 of 13
Do you have an SPDIF passthrough device in the sound settings? What I do is select speakers as the default audio device, and then in Foobar select WASAPI for the SPDIF passthrough device. I can stop Foobar without closing it to get other sounds to play, and I don't have to reload the browser either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back