Was going to buy a pair of MDR-CD3000's - and I may still buy them!
Sep 10, 2003 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
What's holding me back from purchasing the MDR-CD3000's at this moment is the fact that I haven't been using headphones on my home system recently (I've only been using headphones on portable equipment these days). In fact, I've been listening to music on my home system only with loudspeakers. And that's because my ears become overly hot and sweaty when I use headphones for more than a few minutes. Moreover, I knew that using CD3000's on an unamped portable player would be a waste of $400, unless I make my home system my primary headphone listening station. [Sure, the CD3000 will sound better than most other headphones straight out of the unamped non-Euro-c(r)apped D-EJ2000 PCDP, but the result will be nowhere near the CD3000's full potential.]

However, that may soon change as the weather gets cooler and colder... And for me, that may not come anytime soon. Nonetheless, I may still purchase the CD3000's as soon as tomorrow - unless there's another full-size closed/semi-closed headphone that's more suitable for my listening habits (dare I say... V900/7509
evil_smiley.gif
).

I went to Music Direct today, and thought seriously about buying a pair of the Sony MDR-CD3000's. Ultimately, I decided against such a $450 purchase, because I knew that I currently own nothing better than a mid-fi setup, even for home use. (In fact, I would have had to upgrade my front end - the preamp/power amp/tuner - to take anywhere near full advantage of the MDR-CD3000's, and my current setup consists of a good analog source, a mediocre digital source, a mediocre receiver/amp/preamp and a good headphone amp.) Instead, I picked up a 15-foot Grado headphone extension cable (for my two higher-line Grado headphones when they're being used with my home setup), a Classic Records 200-gram "Quiex SV-P" copy of the mono Cannonball Adderley/Miles Davis LP Somethin' Else (yep, Classic Records is re-issuing both mono AND stereo copies of two of the best-known Blue Note Records titles, the aforementioned Somethin' Else and the John Coltrane album Blue Train) and a Fantasy/OJC vinyl copy each of Cookin' with the Miles Davis Quintet and Workin'with the Miles Davis Quintet. On my return home I stopped at a Border's bookstore and bought a copy each of the other two titles in the Cookin'/Workin' series, Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet and Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet - but on CD (which I shall call "ceedee"). (Oh, well, I bought the complete Cookin' series - half on vinyl and half on ceedee. I would have liked to buy all four titles on vinyl, since the ceedees at Border's cost $3 more apiece than the vinyl sold at Music Direct.)

Well, I will enjoy the classic jazz titles - even though some are on those nasty li'l ceedees instead of vinyl.

Happy listening (and sorry that I didn't upgrade my cans),
Eagle_Driver

Sep 10, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 21
I congratulate you. You really have to have a lot of strength to walk away from a pair of CD3000's existing in the same store that you're in.

Sep 11, 2003 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 21
I am/was also interested in some CD3000's, but I have been wondering myself that even with a decent speaker amp driving them, and a really nice Terratec soundcard, whether they would be overkill for my needs. I see the CD3000's as being likely to be as receiving as £3,000 speakers. Now, if I had $3,000 speakers, I would not be plugging them into a $400 amplifier, itself connected to a $200 soundcard. Sure it gives a nice sound, but it just seems to me that the ratio's here are totally outta whack.

No, I think I really just want a headphone that sounds nice, is comfortable, can "groove" and is well built for not too money. Surely this must be possible....

I am of the opinion therefore, that unless you have very high quality ancilleries, then theres is very little point in spending so much on headphones, as you can probably get away with lesser ones, and perhaps even get a better sound, being as it may that expensive headphones will do more harm than good by being to revealing...

On a side note, expect a review shortly of the AKG K271S, I hope these can boogie like I want from a headphone... if not, then maybe its time for the DT531...

Sep 11, 2003 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 21
Actually, the CD3K's scale quite well with any level of hardware you have. Of course you want see the CD3K's true potential unless you have better gears, but with the OHM rating, it can sound good still even with cheap to mid level equipments.

Sony did a great job on the CD3K's, enjoy them =)
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2003 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 21
I admire your ability to resist such temptaion, I gave in when I saw a pair for 350 shipped from ebay... Promptly sold half of my gear to fund it.

All I can say right now is...
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif

Sep 18, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 21
I will get another chance of buying those Sonys. Fortunately, I won't have to sell anything right now - but I may, as soon as everyone at the next Chicago Head-Fi meet has heard my 'phones.

Gyah! I am sucked into this CD3000 trap now!
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Eagle_Driver

Sep 18, 2003 at 7:11 AM Post #10 of 21
Eagle,

Quote:

Gyah! I am sucked into this CD3000 trap now!

You should be sucked in long long ago.

Vik,
If we still alive after the Izabel, come by and check out the CD3K and Perreaux combo!

Purk
3000smile.gif

Sep 18, 2003 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 21
hey, even my Porta Corda makes them killer headphones!

Sep 18, 2003 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by bluesaint
Actually, the CD3K's scale quite well with any level of hardware you have. Of course you want see the CD3K's true potential unless you have better gears, but with the OHM rating, it can sound good still even with cheap to mid level equipments.

Sony did a great job on the CD3K's, enjoy them =)
smily_headphones1.gif

How well does CD3000 pair with a mid-fi Yamaha receiver? Cuz that's all I have.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
I went to Music Direct today, and thought seriously about buying a pair of the Sony MDR-CD3000's. Ultimately, I decided against such a $450 purchase,

Good move, because Music Direct is now listing them as a clearance item at $375 in their latest e-mail ad.

Sep 18, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 21
$375! That is a sweet price!

Sep 18, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #15 of 21
GIVE IN......GIVE IN......GIVE IN. You must buy CD3000, I just got mine and I love them to death they are incredibly comfertable and light, I prefer them way more than my Senn. 580's, in every category. And you can get them for 400 rather than 450 at www.imerchant.com. GIVE IN!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back