Warwick Acoustics APERIO and BRAVURA
Jan 4, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #721 of 913
The value proposition is really pretty good since for this particular type of sound signature by the Bravura, I don’t think there’s competition. But this is retail price.

If we really dive into the whole second pricing and stuff, there’s even more really affordable flagship from yesteryears that’s now’s a fraction of its cost. Such as the original abyss or utopia, both are like 1/3 their original cost. Plenty of cheap amplifier too.

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #722 of 913
If one is a dedicated audio hobbyist or audiophile - the notion of a ‘plug and play’ music listening solution (no matter how brilliant) may not be where it’s at. There’s no upgrade routes - no introducing a Holo this or that, no chance to by-pass the excellent in-built DAC solution, no chance to bring in a non-stock 1k+ this that or the other cable - ear-pad rolling? Forget it. Modifying the PSU? Nope.

getting the Bravura system was based on 2 factors: achieving a very high level of music listening quality - where imaging, separation, frequency response (from top to bottom), soundstage, transients management, dynamics blah blah - where all of these sonic ingredients coalesce to present a thrilling and deeply satisfying music listening experience - not a perfect one - I’m not a perfectionist or a believer in perfection / endgame notions.

I continue to put on the Bravura headphones and lose myself in all the music I love listening to - everytime.

The Bravura system hasn’t made me want to sell my Feliks Euforia or Violectric v550. But I don’t yearn for a Nimbus 5 or Feliks Envy either. I’m not about to sell my 80 euro pair of 1980s DT880 or md HD650 and 600 - they were my first headphones from 10 years ago and they have scaled well. I really enjoy the synergies created with my R-2R MHDT Pagoda NOS and my modest Soekris 1421 - I don’t itch for a Holo or a Bliss blah blah - I’m not a collector (some would smirk and smile at that statement), I’m no hobbyist or audiophile.

Most of all I love music. Ideally live music - but I love listening to recorded music too.

I got a virtually brand-new Bravura system for a little under 4k euro. It’s not only worth ever cent - but would be if I’d paid the retail price.

The equipment disappears and the music takes over - everytime.

The second factor I wanted was to be freed of itches - the itch to change the DAC, the opamps, the cable(s) - blah blah.

So I am a 100+ percent happy Bravura system owner who can highly recommend this piece of audio design excellence.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #723 of 913
If one is a dedicated audio hobbyist or audiophile - the notion of a ‘plug and play’ music listening solution (no matter how brilliant) may not be where it’s at. There’s no upgrade routes - no introducing a Holo this or that, no chance to by-pass the excellent in-built DAC solution, no chance to bring in a non-stock 1k+ this that or the other cable - ear-pad rolling? Forget it. Modifying the PSU? Nope.

getting the Bravura system was based on 2 factors: achieving a very high level of music listening quality - where imaging, separation, frequency response (from top to bottom), soundstage, transients management, dynamics blah blah - where all of these sonic ingredients coalesce to present a thrilling and deeply satisfying music listening experience - not a perfect one - I’m not a perfectionist or a believer in perfection / endgame notions.

I continue to put on the Bravura headphones and lose myself in all the music I love listening to - everytime.

The Bravura system hasn’t made me want to sell my Feliks Euforia or Violectric v550. But I don’t yearn for a Nimbus 5 or Feliks Envy either. I’m not about to sell my 80 euro pair of 1980s DT880 or md HD650 and 600 - they were my first headphones from 10 years ago and they have scaled well. I really enjoy the synergies created with my R-2R MHDT Pagoda NOS and my modest Soekris 1421 - I don’t itch for a Holo or a Bliss blah blah - I’m not a collector (some would smirk and smile at that statement), I’m no hobbyist or audiophile.

Most of all I love music. Ideally live music - but I love listening to recorded music too.

I got a virtually brand-new Bravura system for a little under 4k euro. It’s not only worth ever cent - but would be if I’d paid the retail price.

The second factor I wanted was to be freed of itches - the itch to change the DAC, the opamps, the cable(s) - blah blah.

So I am a 100+ percent happy Bravura system owner who can highly recommend this piece of audio design excellence.
There are many times I wished I could replace the headphone cable it’s so microphonic while listening I sit completely motionless I’m sure others to i think # 2 complaint is owners are stuck with the dac , what's perfect those are my minor grievances ,..Ive never really thought about what category I would label myself as though I suppose like many that appreciate a taste of a little more realism while enjoying music . Ive always enjoyed live performances especially non amplified performances in acoustically sound venues New York City in our neighborhood had a few.

For me a more realistic human pitch is up there in importance while listening at home , my wife was a studio musician vocalist I have uncompressed files of her speaking and singing I use sometimes for partially evaluating components . Though a curious thing I belong to a small group we trade and try out different components occasionally and sometimes speaker systems the five of us have near completely different systems. It’s aways interesting and fun trying out different stuff lately it’s been sources streamer servers from $500.00 to 10K , wow personally I would say you can spend your money more wisely pursuing better speakers headphone's even a amplifier better suited for your transducer thsts for sure .Anyway it was fun checking out these servers however they all sound different some failed processing the human pitch to my liking some plain sterile sounding though i found it very interesting as interesting as trying different headphones and speakers .

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #724 of 913
Tthe cable needs replacement alternative. It's too long for me the connector and keep hitting my shoulder when im slouching on my chair. And I don't quite like its stiffness.

Actually the difference in electronics sound is a very tricky thing. depends on which camp you sit in. I think transducers no one will argue it's different. For amps I belong in the there's difference given the type of amp and design. But DACS/Streamers so far I find their difference is really small if you do AB. Then again its all part of the fun of this hobby :D

Jan 5, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #725 of 913
There are many times I wished I could replace the headphone cable it’s so microphonic while listening I sit completely motionless I’m sure others to i think # 2 complaint is owners are stuck with the dac , what's perfect those are my minor grievances ,..Ive never really thought about what category I would label myself as though I suppose like many that appreciate a taste of a little more realism while enjoying music . Ive always enjoyed live performances especially non amplified performances in acoustically sound venues New York City in our neighborhood had a few.

For me a more realistic human pitch is up there in importance while listening at home , my wife was a studio musician vocalist I have uncompressed files of her speaking and singing I use sometimes for partially evaluating components . Though a curious thing I belong to a small group we trade and try out different components occasionally and sometimes speaker systems the five of us have near completely different systems. It’s aways interesting and fun trying out different stuff lately it’s been sources streamer servers from $500.00 to 10K , wow personally I would say you can spend your money more wisely pursuing better speakers headphone's even a amplifier better suited for your transducer thsts for sure .Anyway it was fun checking out these servers however they all sound different some failed processing the human pitch to my liking some plain sterile sounding though i found it very interesting as interesting as trying different headphones and speakers .

I wouldn’t completely disagree about the cable carrying degree of microphonics – though I don’t find I have to still as still as you – I settle down and tend not to move around much when listening to music anyway – I’m more interested in the quality of the music that is carried through the cable. But I am not saying, by that, you don’t also focus on this. Given the nature of the system (it’s need for extremely heavy-duty cable – I can only speculate a thoroughly non-microphonic cable is a bridge too far. But that is a fair point – the buyer may need to be forewarned that is an aspect. For me though – not an irritant of any significance. I have spent hours on albums – immersed and not distracted by any serious microphonic cable interruptions. As I mentioned – I’m blissfully glad I don’t feel any need or wish to think about cable alternatives. I’ve about overdosed on cable acquisitions with my other headphones.

I don’t find myself ‘stuck with’ the DAC – in the sense I wish I could bypass it and use my other DACs – I have the audio-gd R1, Soekris 1421 and MHDT Pagoda (as mentioned) – I love the R-2R and NOS sound. I’m not interested in a Holo Spring or May, and the Ferum stuff doesn’t create an itch for me either – what I mean by this is I get that DACs can be great fun and allow the music listener to approach sound tuning in ways that please and become a very personal experience.

The DAC implementation of the Sonoma is – for me – brilliant. It delivers a presentation of highs and lows I am really very very happy with – I like clarity, micro-detail AND smoothness – which is what I like about the R-2R stuff I enjoy. I’m not averse to delta-sigma flavours – and to my ears and taste – the choices made with the Bravura / Sonoma tuning are spot on. The upper end has all the sparkle, air, and brightness I enjoy in my other set-ups – and I never (so far so good) experience the slightest hint of harshness or sibilance – and at the same time don’t get in any way bothered by a feeling of premature roll-off. Clearly, Warwick has introduced some DSP – and I’m cool with what they’ve done. Today I listened to:

76 minutes of Nils Frahm’s ‘Tripping With Nils Frahm’, 48 minutes of Céline Bonacina’s album ‘Jump’ – with her fabulous compositions, Baritone sax, Rachel Eckroth’s Fender Rhodes and voice – and more. Added to this, a spell-binding recording of Mahler’s Symphony No.1 – performed by the Czech Philharmonic and conducted by Semyon Bychkov – and for some wicked contrasts – Billie Eilish’s ‘what was I made for’ – from the Barbie soundtrack, Miley Cyrus’s excellent break-up song ‘ Flowers’ and John Batiste’s superb and optimistic ‘Worship’ – the Bravura and Sonoma have been delivering ace after ace.

Every second of music has worked wonderfully for me. I have a quite eclectic taste and interest in music – and the Bravura / Sonoma are meeting this taste outstandingly. So I just feel no need or desire to explore the tuning and synergy in ways other than Warwick has designed. I like what they’ve done that much. And I know they have the Aperio with the chance to introduce one’s own DAC choices – and many other features. I’m not in a position to buy that and would never spend that amount of money on it if I were even in a position to. And that is NOT taking a sneaky dig at anyone who does have an Aperio. Live and let live.

I also enjoy live music – and make a point of experiencing it at least once a month. I also find it keeps my ears and hearing cultivated and alert. Educates them too, to frequencies, instruments, and all the other expressions we use to describe the headphone experience. It’s often Jazz but last year included stuff like Paul Weller, Big Thief, Marc Ribot, and Kruder + Dorfmeister. Never big stadiums – smaller auditoriums to small Jazz venues (here in Munich).

I usually spend some time listening to an artist’s work / latest album before the gig – and then after the gig. It’s also a good way (I find) of gathering a sense and scale and scope of that sonic ‘realism’ you mention.

I’m not that techy or technical but I’m not an uninformed or purely instinctive listener. I’m 60 and throughout my life I’ve had quite special friendships with musicians and performing artists. My ‘critical listening’ is not really informed by Mhz references and charts and graphs – I get lost with them – but I can and do trust my hearing. It’s clear you have a great solid reference (human voice pitch) and I find this helps with exploring DAC, AMP, HP and speakers.

I finally introduced a modest streamer into one of my set-ups – the audio-gd R1 NOS DAC and its sibling Class A Master 19 HPA – I wanted to leave the USB once – and do LAN into streamer and from there some other connectivity. I found the sound enriched and not in a day and night way but definitely something is different. Of course, these are personal journeys we make – filled sur enough with degrees of psychoacoustics and fantasy – but not only that. I’m still getting to know and appreciate the couple of different set-ups I have.

Coming back to the Bravura system – it’s the being freed of itches and thoughts of modifications that I like. I’m on the third listening to the Mahler Symphony No. 1 and it is shockingly and soothingly fun and revealing and real. Like the equipment isn’t here. That’s the golden vein of sonic pleasure I like.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts.

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #726 of 913
The value proposition is really pretty good since for this particular type of sound signature by the Bravura, I don’t think there’s competition. But this is retail price.

If we really dive into the whole second pricing and stuff, there’s even more really affordable flagship from yesteryears that’s now’s a fraction of its cost. Such as the original abyss or utopia, both are like 1/3 their original cost. Plenty of cheap amplifier too.
We have one guy in our group with deep pockets who flips components constantly he never seems satisfied I bought his Boulder 866 integrate from him though he is one of many who contribute to the avalanche of used audio component's to the benefit of others .

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #727 of 913

Wow, what a deal. I wish I could find a deal like that as for retail price it is totally impossible for me.

The second issue, as an EU resident, is the fact that the Company is from the UK and without a repairing center in any EU Country. I have learnt the hard way to avoid gear in circumstances lie that. God forbids that you have an issue and have to send it to the UK and back. Customs, at least in my Country, got organized and ruthless. Not only when you get something from abroad they will ask for invoice and proof of payment as no matter if it´s coming back from repair, they will tax you and if you don´t want to pay they won't release the package. It is a hassle that only who goes through can believe it!

So, unfortunately, for these sort of gear the only safe option is to get from a EU dealer and enjoy it during the warranty period. Once you're out of it, just sell it or take the risk. But then again... retail prices are absolutely impossible for someone like me.

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #728 of 913
Wow, what a deal. I wish I could find a deal like that as for retail price it is totally impossible for me.

The second issue, as an EU resident, is the fact that the Company is from the UK and without a repairing center in any EU Country. I have learnt the hard way to avoid gear in circumstances lie that. God forbids that you have an issue and have to send it to the UK and back. Customs, at least in my Country, got organized and ruthless. Not only when you get something from abroad they will ask for invoice and proof of payment as no matter if it´s coming back from repair, they will tax you and if you don´t want to pay they won't release the package. It is a hassle that only who goes through can believe it!

So, unfortunately, for these sort of gear the only safe option is to get from a EU dealer and enjoy it during the warranty period. Once you're out of it, just sell it or take the risk. But then again... retail prices are absolutely impossible for someone like me.
Hello again my friend, i Think that the repairs are made a bit different. The manufacturer should provide you the shipping label to ship to them and also by sending back it should be label as as service return unit to avoid paying taxes once more. This was my knowledge until now. US repairs are having another scheme I think.

@headphonefranz welcome to head-fi my friend 😉

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #729 of 913

I can appreciate the retail price issue. I could never afford/justify that outlay - I was VERY lucky with the 50% less - it was patience and perseverance and selling some stuff I already had + luck.

I live in Germany - so I know what you mean about the customs issue. Fingers crossed I won't need a repair anytime soon - but there are ways of reducing the customs charges - I've been successful with that in the past. The customer relations of Warwick is extraordinarily good - so that would help too.

I like to keep things 'real' too - and I would say the quality of music listening with my 80 euro Beyerdynamic DT880 (the 1980s model) - coupled with my Lake People G111 (bought secondhand for 300 euro) - and DACed with either the Soekris 1421 or the Lake People RS-06 - that's an approx 900 euro for the former and 700 euro for the latter). This keeps the experience below the 1K euro mark. I have other set-ups - but the one mentioned is an example, for me, where great music listening quality can be attained for not crazy prices.

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #730 of 913
Hello again my friend, i Think that the repairs are made a bit different. The manufacturer should provide you the shipping label to ship to them and also by sending back it should be label as as service return unit to avoid paying taxes once more. This was my knowledge until now. US repairs are having another scheme I think.

@headphonefranz welcome to head-fi my friend 😉
Hello, :beerchug:

You are absolutely right. Unfortunately, many times things are not that linear or smooth.

But in all honesty, It could be easier with a Company like this, especially from the UK. Of course my experience, in the terms mentioned, is mostly with Chinese Companies and some are more serious than others.

Cheers.

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #731 of 913
I can appreciate the retail price issue. I could never afford/justify that outlay - I was VERY lucky with the 50% less - it was patience and perseverance and selling some stuff I already had + luck.

I live in Germany - so I know what you mean about the customs issue. Fingers crossed I won't need a repair anytime soon - but there are ways of reducing the customs charges - I've been successful with that in the past. The customer relations of Warwick is extraordinarily good - so that would help too.

I like to keep things 'real' too - and I would say the quality of music listening with my 80 euro Beyerdynamic DT880 (the 1980s model) - coupled with my Lake People G111 (bought secondhand for 300 euro) - and DACed with either the Soekris 1421 or the Lake People RS-06 - that's an approx 900 euro for the former and 700 euro for the latter). This keeps the experience below the 1K euro mark. I have other set-ups - but the one mentioned is an example, for me, where great music listening quality can be attained for not crazy prices.
I perfectly relate with what you say. I know what I have is perfectly fine to be happy listening to music but, contrary to most, I´m not interested in diversity nor in the experimenting different configurations and gear. I would perfectly settle with something, like this system, that has amazing synergy as it was built to work exactly like that.

As long it would suit my music, I would be a happy camper and end-game for me.

The problem is, in my case, my lack of technical knowledge together with the fact that I cannot demo gear, I´m always questioning synergies and weak links in the system and most of the time don´t even know what to do and that leads to just spend more than needed in the long run.

Funny that you refer the RS-06, as I just sold mine (lovely dac by the way), not used by many anymore.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #732 of 913
I perfectly relate with what you say. I know what I have is perfectly fine to be happy listening to music but, contrary to most, I´m not interested in diversity nor in the experimenting different configurations and gear. I would perfectly settle with something, like this system, that has amazing synergy as it was built to work exactly like that.

As long it would suit my music, I would be a happy camper and end-game for me.

The problem is, in my case, my lack of technical knowledge together with the fact that I cannot demo gear, I´m always questioning synergies and weak links in the system and most of the time don´t even know what to do and that leads to just spend more than needed in the long run.

Funny that you refer the RS-06, as I just sold mine (lovely dac by the way), not used by many anymore.

Cheers.
So far I haven't experienced anything the Bravura/Sonoma can't present exceedingly well - and then some. And still - each piece / artist sounds different. They are doing soundstage gymnastics - for example.

I had the V850 but sold that to invest in the V550 - but the RS-06 was partnered up with the G111 - and I'm nostalgically attacked to that set-to. And yes - it really is a very capable Burr-Brown delta sigma DAC. I bought it new and so will hang on to it - it's good to have a dedicated Buur Brown DAC around.

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #733 of 913
I bought my Bravura completely by accident. Saw this at Selfridges in London, they had a great Christmas discount and the price was £4600 for the black version.

I didn’t read any reviews or tests, I just listened it in the store and fell in love with the sound I heard😄 This is truly a wonderful all-in-one kit. I look forward every day to the evening when I can sit in my chair and spend a few hours enjoying my favorite music.

The only thing that is a little annoying is the hard and long plugs.

So far I have given the Audeze LCD 5 to my eldest son, he is also very happy 😂

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #734 of 913
well, I forgot the photo 🤟

IMG-9843.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #735 of 913

Users who are viewing this thread

Back