Warwick Acoustics APERIO and BRAVURA
Aug 12, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #46 of 863
My APERIO review is now live on YT if anyone is curious.
Man I miss these so much already....

Another phenomenally insightful and entertaining review. I've pretty much conceded to the fact that I personally like playing in the under $3000 price bracket with multiple headphones in a collection but it's awesome to see the flip side of that logic with one system that does it all correctly. Warwick is probably going to be selling quite a few extra units because of your efforts.

Aug 12, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #47 of 863
My APERIO review is now live on YT if anyone is curious.
Man I miss these so much already....

Great review. Not just about the Aperio, but insights into so many other things too.

It's too bad given the price that the DAC is not as good as it could be. I have the Bravura and after trying a couple of other DACs (through other headphone systems) I concluded that the DAC in the Bravura is what holds it back. That said, it's still very, very good. But other dedicated DACs are better. I have an older Resolution Audio Cantata (v3) that is better.

I noticed you have the Ferrum Oor too, which so far I don't believe you've reviewed. I've been considering that for the DAC Stealth and Meze Elite, which I also have on hand. The Aperio might be better, but I'm reluctant to go all in on one system (not to mention that price). I kind of like having options, depending on genre and mood. The comments on the ZMF Atrium were interesting (and compelling) as I have no experience with that brand.

I can see a really nice simple system with the Aperio and a good pair of powered speakers like the Genelec G Three.

Aug 12, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #48 of 863
Another phenomenally insightful and entertaining review. I've pretty much conceded to the fact that I personally like playing in the under $3000 price bracket with multiple headphones in a collection but it's awesome to see the flip side of that logic with one system that does it all correctly. Warwick is probably going to be selling quite a few extra units because of your efforts.
Oh yeah the pricepoint is WAY above what I can play with too :p

Could never afford them myself but was certainly fun to get to play with them for a bit!

Aug 12, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #49 of 863
Oh yeah the pricepoint is WAY above what I can play with too :p

Could never afford them myself but was certainly fun to get to play with them for a bit!
As you are talking about "the best," don't you owe it to yourself and your audience to listen to the Shangri-La Sr headphones? I'm not talking about the whole system, but just the 18K USD headphones themselves. More of us have heard or own these excellent SGL SR headphones so it would provide a reference point when trying to determine where the Aperio stands. No dealer near me has the Aperio on hand for a casual listen. You have to order it straight out with the money upfront. If the tuning isn't to your personal preference, or it's no better than what you already own, you are out of luck. So, if you can beg or borrow a set of SGL Sr headphones for comparison, you would really be doing a service to those of us who are considering the Aperio. You review is sounding like the Aperio is very similar to the SGL Sr. I'd really like to probe the similarities in sound. Can anyone reading this compare and contrast the two?

Aug 12, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #50 of 863
As you are talking about "the best," don't you owe it to yourself and your audience to listen to the Shangri-La Sr headphones? I'm not talking about the whole system, but just the 18K USD headphones themselves. More of us have heard or own these excellent SGL SR headphones so it would provide a reference point when trying to determine where the Aperio stands. No dealer near me has the Aperio on hand for a casual listen. You have to order it straight out with the money upfront. If the tuning isn't to your personal preference, or it's no better than what you already own, you are out of luck. So, if you can beg or borrow a set of SGL Sr headphones for comparison, you would really be doing a service to those of us who are considering the Aperio. You review is sounding like the Aperio is very similar to the SGL Sr. I'd really like to probe the similarities in sound. Can anyone reading this compare and contrast the two?

I have listened to the Shangri La Sr, both on its own source and the BHSE (in a quiet environment, thank you HeadAmp!)
I liked the Shangri-La Sr a lot, but definitely prefer the Aperio

ezgif.com-gif-maker (7).gif

Aug 12, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #51 of 863
I have listened to the Shangri La Sr, both on its own source and the BHSE (in a quiet environment, thank you HeadAmp!)

ezgif.com-gif-maker (7).gif
FYI that exact Shangri-La Sr is in front of me as I type this and the pads were well used even before they made it to CanJam. I wouldn't place a lot of weight into our impressions on that configuration, especially after having heard what newer pads can do on the same sample.

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #52 of 863

As for resolution, I feel Rockana Wavedream that you reviewed beautifully could transform any systems with super duper resolution! ( In an "exaggerated" way)

As a matter of fact, some Rockna dealer I know will kindly warn the potential buyers if their current setup already has top notch resolution in that adding Wavedream to an already highly detailed system could turn it to a too much of a good thing, which I personally experienced with quite a few dacs.

BONUS: SOUND DEMO of SHANGRILA SR System with Rockna Wavedream ( Starting from 08:49) which is recorded by 3audio:

https://b23.tv/ixAj3Qy

I am a bit surprised it is not as sharp nor bright as I thought it would be. The synergy is actually quite amazing, yet still noticably bright to netural. 🌞 The biggest contributions of Rockna to SHANGRILA SR system are fuller notes and bass. The caveat could be still hot on the top. Playback Designs DAC will be a superior alternative yet with a even bigger but worthwhile price tag.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #54 of 863
Aug 13, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #55 of 863
@GoldenOne just to clear, you're saying the Aperio all in one beats Susvara/X9000 + BHSE + a TOTL dac?
Personal speaking and from a owner perspectives, I feel HE-1, Aperio, and X9000 with T2 are all hitting the ceiling just with distinctive presentation, tuning and forte:) But if there is a best system I vote for this personally. Yet for solid state system, there is rare competition against APERIO except maybe MSB Select with MSB Electrostatic amp (110K USD, and will mostly due to the dac 😂). Personally speaking, while I appreciate Aperio a lot, it just doesn't have the best vocal, timber, bass, realism and anologue weight note. honestly some aspects are far from the best. But then there is no best system in my opinion cause it can always go better if price is no object.

Attachments

• C850E4E9-C38A-4027-B6DE-B37F5E722D44.jpeg
    C850E4E9-C38A-4027-B6DE-B37F5E722D44.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #56 of 863
Personal speaking and from a owner perspectives, I feel HE-1, Aperio, and X9000 with T2 are all hitting the ceiling just with distinctive presentation, tuning and forte:) But if there is a best system I vote for this personally. Yet for solid state system, there is rare competition against APERIO except maybe MSB Select with MSB Electrostatic amp. Personally speaking, while I appreciate Aperio a lot, it just doesn't have the best vocal, timber, bass, realism and anologue weight note. honestly some aspects are far from the best. But then there is no best system in my opinion cause it can always go better if price is no object.
@hifixman So, as a headphone enthusiast who has heard the Aperio and most of the other very top TOTL headphones or systems, how much real difference is there among them, in your opinion. At this level, are the differences very subtle and a matter of individual preference, or does any one of these top headphones stand miles ahead of anything else available? I ask because I am so thrilled with the SGL Sr /x9000 -> Carbon CC setup that I have a hard time imagining what could be improved.

Aug 13, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #57 of 863
@hifixman So, as a headphone enthusiast who has heard the Aperio and most of the other very top TOTL headphones or systems, how much real difference is there among them, in your opinion. At this level, are the differences very subtle and a matter of individual preference, or does any one of these top headphones stand miles ahead of anything else available? I ask because I am so thrilled with the SGL Sr /x9000 -> Carbon CC setup that I have a hard time imagining what could be improved.
I could ask you the same of your X9k/ Carbon vs the Meze Elites , as i also struggle to imagine how they could beat my current setup :p . I prefer them vs the Susvara, unpopular opinion as it may be

Aug 13, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #58 of 863
Carbon is the amp with innate flaws, which is alarming noticable when playing movies, (hollowww) and yes I do watch movies with my headphone systems. You need Woo 3SE for your ShangriLa SGL and T2 for your X9000. I also crave for the convention of one system for all cans, but it just doesn't work that way 100%. Yet T2 is a close solution which will raise the performance of both of your two cans like 200% more than Carbon.

Apologies this is Warwick Accoustic thread so we better focus on that, yet it is also subjective to personal reference. Anyway Aperio is my Top 3, a class of its own.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #59 of 863
Carbon is the amp with innate flaws, which is alarming noticable when playing movies, (hollowww) and yes I do watch movies with my headphone systems. You need Woo 3SE for your ShangriLa SGL and T2 for your X9000. I also crave for the convention of one system for all cans, but it just doesn't work that way 100%. Yet T2 is a close solution which will raise the performance of both of your two cans like 200% more than Carbon.

Apologies this is Warwick Accoustic thread so we better focus on that, yet it is also subjective to personal reference. Anyway Aperio is my Top 3, a class of its own.
I see you also own Dave. Personally, there's no way i would get a T2, it's just too big. Maybe an Eksonic Aeras +x9000? An Aperio would be a more tempting solution though.

Aug 13, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #60 of 863
I see you also own Dave. Personally, there's no way i would get a T2, it's just too big. Maybe an Eksonic Aeras +x9000? An Aperio would be a more tempting solution though.
Actually Eksonic tailored T2 and make it actually noticeably smaller than the original Stax T2, plus you can stack the power below. For width of the unit alone T2 is less than Aperio actually. But if you want a more netural sound, Aperio may suit you better. Also I don't think T2 are sold in EU due to tubes and their wattage matching.

You have two very distinctive tuned cans, ShangriLa JR is bright and X9000 is warm:) So Aperio will definitely complement well to your other cans.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back