WARNING: UE Super.Fi new hard case with velvet bottom
Oct 26, 2006 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

IPodPJ

MOT: Bellatone Audio
Caution: Incomplete customer orders
I had to return my original Super.Fi 5 pro clears, because after 9 months they cracked, which I later found out was a defect in manufacturing. A few other thing I found out that were causing harm to the headphones were the soft case, the wiring wrap harness inside the hard case, and the cable was too thin and flimsy for most people.

So I receive my package back a few days later with brand new Super.Fi 5 pro clears.
So....UE rectified this by eliminating the soft case altogether. So bye bye to that. They also made this new hard shell case, that while may look nice and have a more attractive satin metal finish to it, has many flaws. First of all, it dents very easily. I wouldn't gamble stepping on these or even dropping them. They also don't seal very well. I had her send me another one which seals a little better but still not nearly like the original did. Why couldn't they just take out the wiring harness from the original, and keep everything else the way it was, higher grade construction and all. The third and MOST PROBLEMATIC of these issues is the black velvet bottom they put on the case. If you have a set of Super.Fi's and use this case [and while probably doing the same thing to all of the included tips] if you happen to use the standard silicone tips, you should know what I'm talking about.

Mass amounts of black lint fiber cling to those tips after being placed in the case, that take a bit to get all of them off. This indeed is a pain in the butt problem. I q-tip my ears every day, three times a day, and have no wax problems, but over the course of a working day, just through sweat, we build up little bits of liquid waxy layers in our ears. I think these pieces of lint are sticking to the waxy layers that adhere to the silicone. In addition to having to rub them down quite a bit to get all of this lint off [I certainly don't want it in my ears], you also have to wonder how much of this lint is actually entering the canals and potentially damaging your armatures.

Score 1 for Shure products here.... they have a metal screen that is replaceable and adheres to the tip of the canals to prevent objects like wax from getting in, but even the Shure screens may not protect against lint this microscopic and thin, and still wouldn't keep the lint from sticking to the tips.

[size=small]Is anyone else having this problem too?[/size] We need to know so we can address our concerns immediately to UE. I think they need to go back to their hard plastic case bottom [without the wiring harness if it was causing damage] or at least use some sort of foam or rubber, like they do inside their custom cases. This cheap velvet material is just a poorly made and not well thought out decision. Again, like I said, it may be less of an issue with other tips but if you use the standard silicone tips that are attached to the unit when you buy it new, those are the ones I use and so those are the ones I notice it on. Every ear builds thin layers of wax throughout the day - there is no avoiding that. It is part of being a human and having an ear. With that said, coming from someone who keeps his ears as immaculately clean as possible, I should not have to "de-lint" my silicone tips [with quite some effort] every time I take them out of the case.

We need an all-points alert here to the people at UE for new hard shell cases for all Super.Fi [and potentially Triple.Fi] products on the following grounds:

1) Velvet lint amasses itself to the silicone headphone tips when placed in the new hard shell cases with velvet case bottoms. Need to replace case bottom material with higher grade velvet, or switch to foam [as in your custom products cases] or rubber.

2) Manufacturing strength of case is just not of same integrity as previous model. It bends and dents easily, and also does not form a tight seal.

If you have this same problem, please share your thoughts here, and send all concerns to Customer Service at Ultimate Ears.
Here is the customer service phone number, as well: 800-589-6531

Thank you.

Oct 26, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 26
wow, you're totally right. I just got a pair of Super.fi 3 Live's as a spare to my normal UM2s and the case is nothing like the old one for my Super.fi 5 pros. I made a post just recently on the new thick cables and how they're actually worse than the old ones. Same is true for this case.

I noticed a bit of lint on the tips when I took them out tonight. Of course, its from the case. hmm. UE's old stuff was a lot better. :\

Oct 26, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ
We need an all-points alert here to the people at UE for new hard shell cases for all Super.Fi [and potentially Triple.Fi] products on the following grounds:

why are you worried about the triple.fi's having this case as well? Are you getting a pair?

Quote:

If you have this same problem, please share your thoughts here, and send all concerns to Jeanette Coffey at Ultimate Ears, at:
snip

and let her know you are concerned.
Here is the customer service phone number, as well: 800-589-6531

Copy and paste her this post.

Thank you.

you'll never stop tormenting this poor woman won't you?
rolleyes.gif

I always clean my tips before i put them on anyways, so the lint has never been a problem for me

Oct 26, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 26
Take off her e-mail address and don't tell people to send her e-mails..
If your suggestions are valid she doesn't need a flood of e-mails telling her the same thing
It takes UE money to make changes and design changes, so they didn't just do it for the kicks.. I'm sure what you didn't like others will

She might have other things to do, stop bothering her..
Imagine if someone who's buying your product is nagging you constantly. You'd hate their guts but still have to give a nice reply because they're your customer.

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
She might have other things to do, stop bothering her..

rolleyes.gif
uhh...sounds like thats her job which she's paid to do.

I suppose I'm bothering UE by buying one of their products too.

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 26
I did have the same problem with my new metal case. Thankfully, a leather pouch was sent as well. If you don't have a leather pouch, just place the IEMs in a small plastic or small fabric bag (like a sunglasses pouch) then put them in the metal case. Lint problem solved.

If you truly have a legitimate problem send UE a polite email. I know some think that the sqeaky wheel gets the grease, but a nag can be rather irritating. Try to think positive (take happy pills)
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 26
That explains why people said I have "ear hairs" sticking out of my ears, now I know where that's where it's come from, no, just kidding, I didn't noticed that until reading this thread. I usually give it a good "blow" before I insert it in my ears, hmmm...., that's sound a bit dirty, let me rephrase, I air blow the IEM tips with my mouth to get off any potential wax or dirt or in this case, lint, before I place it in my ears.

Is Jeannette Coffey the model we see on UE site? If it is, I like to bug her more often, that model is fine looking.

UE needs feedback so they can improve their product but not being BOMB BARDED with emails.

Word.
etysmile.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 26
Not.cool. Please remove her email address from the first post, or does the post need to be reported to a mod?

The idea is a good one, but you can email UE as a company. They have accounts set up for this kind of thing, but to spam one person, and to post her contact info publically is the height of rude and immature. She doesn't exist to serve you, and doesn't deserve this.

Oct 26, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 26
I noticed the black fabric sticking to the ear tips too. At first I thought it was because I was wearing a wool coat. But after reading this I finally know what is going on.

But in any case, this metal case is just way too bulky. I think I'll probably just spend 10 dollars to buy a Shure case instead.

Oct 26, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 26
Oct 26, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Not.cool. Please remove her email address from the first post, or does the post need to be reported to a mod?

The idea is a good one, but you can email UE as a company. They have accounts set up for this kind of thing, but to spam one person, and to post her contact info publically is the height of rude and immature. She doesn't exist to serve you, and doesn't deserve this.

Certainly wasn't meant so people would spam her... Obviously, that isn't the intention.

However, being a customer service rep is her job, and that IS what she gets paid for, to handle CUSTOMER SERVICE.

But I will remove her e-mail if it will make you a happier camper.

Oct 26, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Certainly wasn't meant so people would spam her... Obviously, that isn't the intention.

However, being a customer service rep is her job, and that IS what she gets paid for, to handle CUSTOMER SERVICE.

But I will remove her e-mail if it will make you a happier camper.

But she is still human, she can't handle all those emails by herself.

Oct 26, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 26
Thanks for removing the email addy. She's just one person, and spam bots troll for email addresses, and there are more lurkers here reading than you know, even weirdos and what have you. It's teh internets. I'm sure if enough people email UE, they'll hear you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back