Warning to Zune80 owners
Feb 29, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #16 of 29
@goober
iMirror level scratches or normal wear hairlines ?

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #18 of 29
Wow, that's pretty amazing of Amazon to do such a thing. Congrats to you, and I'll certainly be trusting Amazon more in the future. This and other reports are bringing them up to NewEgg levels of customer service quality.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's hoping your next one arrives, and stays, perfect!

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #19 of 29
My 15 yr old's Z80 screen is cracked too. Just the glass - the display beneath is fine. I'm under no illusions about how it got that way - he's 15.
rolleyes.gif
So when I called M$ I didn't even try to invoke warranty - I just wanted to pay to have it repaired. It appears they don't know that word. I'm now considering finding some kind of DIY replacement glass. I was really surprised, and disappointed, to discover that M$ doesn't have any kind of repair system in place. Nintendo, for instance, will 'repair' any broken system for a flat fee ... usually you just get a refurb back, but at least they have an option for customers that's short of 'go buy yerself another one.'

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good for you, Ricardo. Others, not just me, have not been so lucky. There are several sites where people have had Zune30 and 80 LCD screens crack for very little reason in a very short time.

In this case, the way this Zune screen cracked is ridiculous. I didn't drop it on the ground, etc. It cracked when I picked it up and mistakenly applied a little pressure on the glass with my thumb. I heard an audible pop, so the pressure must have caused the crack, of course.

So owners out there, with the exception of Ricardo whose Zunes seem impervious to damage, be careful with your DAPs. Get a case, whatever, but don't ever press on the glass with any force whatsoever.

You make it sound like some major problem with the Zune. Not so.

Like Ricardo I have a Zune 30 and a Zune 80 - the 30 has some minor scratches, the 80 is still clean as a whistle.
Both are "naked" and transported pockets, bags, cars, thrown into desk drawers, etc...
I don't "abuse" them but I don't "baby" them either.
The Zune 80 is the most durable by far of the dozen or so DAPS that I have owned.
I frequent most of the major Zune boards and I have not heard of this complaint before.

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Like Ricardo I have a Zune 30 and a Zune 80 - the 30 has some minor scratches, the 80 is still clean as a whistle.
Both are "naked" and transported pockets, bags, cars, thrown into desk drawers, etc...
The Zune 80 is the most durable by far of the dozen or so DAPS that I have owned.
I frequent most of the major Zune boards and I have not heard of this complaint before.

Your lucky, I had a couple of defective zunes, on one 8 gig the plastic around the glass was cut ragged and the screen was crooked. One 80 gig had a dead (blue) screen and another had really loud HD noises. Anytime you have something made of glass- tempered or not you run the risk of it breaking. I have all my babies in cases (except the zune which I will remedy), for something so $$$ it just makes sense. I myself am not impressed with microsoft's QC, especially after seeing the red ring of death on 2 360's.

I'm not impressed with many daps build quality these days anyways, cowon D2 and sony a818 do impress me though. And the touch does look like it's put togeather nice, maybe I just have horrible luck with daps
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Same here. I use my Zune 80 with no protection and it is blemish free to this point. I have debated buying some sort of case for it but I really don't see the point as it doesn't mark up at all. Perhaps for protection against drops, because I don't think the Z80 would stand up to a fall on a hard surface very well.

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #23 of 29
I remember laughing at a guy on a gaming podcast saying "I don't get to mad when a Microsoft product just stops working. When I buy Microsoft products, I buy them expecting them not to work, so it's not that bad when it screws up, and I get really happy when it does."

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Well, glad it's worked out for you. I didn't drop mine or anything like that. I simply, mistakely pressed on the glass just a little with my thumb and the glass cracked. Are Zune screens more prone to cracking? I don't know. All I know is I pressed on the screen with very little pressure and it popped and cracked. Is that abusing the product? Apparently, with a Zune80 at least, it amounts to that. When I get the new one, I will be sure to keep my thumbs/fingers away from the glass.

And there are reports and posts from people who claim their Zune screens cracked for no apparent reason. In my case, the reason was apparent, just a little surprising.

Heck, I really like the Zune80, prefer it over all the DAPs in our house, in fact. But it really surprised me on how easy it was to break. My OP was just warning to anyone who owns one to be very careful, and to vent my frustration with how easy it was to break. I am sure there are plenty of happy Zune30 and 80 owners whose glass is still intact.

As I said, the MS CSR gave me a reference number and said they were looking into the issue, which has been ongoing for the last year or more (the logging of incidents, that is). Could turn out the Zune screen is more prone to cracking in the end. Maybe not. I'm just glad Amazon turned out to be so classy in its handling of the matter.

Mar 2, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another way you could of solved the issue is by going to a glass shop and asking for the same dimensions as the zune screen and pop it in yourself.

that's what I'm planning to do with my kid's .. but what kind of glue would you use? I'm thinking about getting one of those rear-view mirror replacement kits and using that glue (very sparingly of course)

Mar 2, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another way you could of solved the issue is by going to a glass shop and asking for the same dimensions as the zune screen and pop it in yourself.

Yeah, but I'd rather get a new one. Not sure I am enough of a DIY'er to replace the glass, either. No matter, I will be much more careful this time.

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #29 of 29
good luck tsarn06! i hope microsoft fix it or replace it for you. it sucks when these things happen. probably getting anything even an ipod socks for it might help keep a little more protection: all my players are in sox? d2, nano, touch, meizu m6 - they is cutests!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back