Warning to Zune80 owners
Feb 29, 2008 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

tstarn06

Banned
Well, I now have a 3/4 inch crack in the screen of my Zune80, and I don't even know how it happened. I didn't drop it or anything. There was a tiny scratch in the glass, very small, not even sure how it got there. Tonight, I might have pressed too hard on the glass with my thumb or something, and all of a sudden, a pop sound and the tiny scratch became a crack. I didn't abuse the screen or anything, almost like a little pressure turned the small scratch into a major crack.

Anyway, I am very bummed, of course, and may have to find a case to cover the screen with, for fear it will get worse. I doubt MS will do anything about it in terms of warranty, though I really have not abused this DAP. I can't even imagine what dropping it on a hard floor would do to the glass. I might call MS tomorrow and see what can be done, if anything. I bought it on Amazon, but the money back is long gone.

So Zune80 owners beware, and be careful. Meantime, anyone have any ideas about a protective cover/case for the screen that gives you access to the controls, etc.?

Feb 29, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 29
Huh, there were isolated reports of the Zune 30s doing that a few months after they were released. The people claimed it was the batteries swelling. I never heard anything official from Microsoft, at least none that I recall. I hadn't heard about it on the 80s though. Hope that Microsoft is willing to help you out.

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 29
Thanks for that info. I will call them tomorrow. It seemed like a pressure thing, really. It should not have cracked so easily in my view. I didn't abuse it. Like it was ready to pop, with a little push. We'll see what, if anything, they will do about it.

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I now have a 3/4 inch crack in the screen of my Zune80, and I don't even know how it happened. I bought it on Amazon, but the money back is long gone

But you've only had it for around 3 months? So you have a 1-year guarantee with Amazon anyway, why not just return it as faulty and get a new one? Like you said, you haven't dropped it or abused it in any way, and a 3/4 inch crack already is not good for such a new item. Call Amazon and tell them. Self-cracking screens after 3 months?? They should just replace it.

Feb 29, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 29
Agree, but Amazon is out of the loop on the warranty, I believe. MS has to agree to the exchange at this point, not Amazon. But I will check with both, of course. Reason they may not replace it is they will claim I abused it somehow, believe me. If they easily agree to a replacement, I will be surprised.

Feb 29, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 29
My 1 year old Zune 30 survived many drops w/o even getting huge scratches on its body much less a crack

The 1 month old Zune 80 have already survived 4drops w/o a screen scratch..but the laser-etched tattoo is showing signs of wear.

Zune 30 was much of its time inside the small pouch included in the package.

Zune 80 have been totally naked. getting a silicone case + screen protector 'cause the tatoo is showing wear marks.

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 29
Good for you, Ricardo. Others, not just me, have not been so lucky. There are several sites where people have had Zune30 and 80 LCD screens crack for very little reason in a very short time.

In this case, the way this Zune screen cracked is ridiculous. I didn't drop it on the ground, etc. It cracked when I picked it up and mistakenly applied a little pressure on the glass with my thumb. I heard an audible pop, so the pressure must have caused the crack, of course.

Anyway, to update my situation with MS. As expected (and based on my google search), MS says tough luck, it's not covered on the warranty, it's "normal wear" (I've owned it for 3 months) and there is nothing they can do about it. Basically, it sucks, and represents some sort of design flaw. How could so many users (visit Zune Clan - Zune Central Digital music MP3 player for more about cracked Zune screens) have the same problem?

Anyway, the MS tech rep gave me a reference number and said MS is "collecting data" on the screen issue, and I should keep calling back to see if MS changes its policy and "supports" cracked LCDs (in other words, when they decide to include them in the warranty on a case by case basis). I won't be holding my breath.

I bought a silicone case with a screen protector on Amazon to try and avoid further damage, but I am really po'd at MS right now. Of course, the tech rep's other advice? Buy a new Zune or search the Web for Zune LCD repair shops. I found one that wants $115 to replace the glass screen. I might do it, but not until the current one deteriorates to the point where I can't use the Zune. It still works right now, and with the case, it might last for awhile.

Anyway, if MS doesn't change its warranty to include cracked screens, I certainly won't be buying a Zune again.

So owners out there, with the exception of Ricardo whose Zunes seem impervious to damage, be careful with your DAPs. Get a case, whatever, but don't ever press on the glass with any force whatsoever.

Feb 29, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 29
Man that sucks! I had a zune 80 with a dead screen, and one with excessive HD noise and the last one the pause and back buttons stuck constantly. Too bad, otherwise a nice dap, I took all mine back (my original was stolen) and finally got a good one. I had a problem with my nano screen (it was a problem with a small batch of screens cracking) and apple replaced it post haste- I had a new unit in 3 days. You would think microsoft would offer the same level of service as their rival.

Thanks for the heads up , I always thought the zune 80 was supposed to be built like a tank
biggrin.gif
Maybe I will get a case for mine. Microsoft should pony up and replace the defective units. Oh and I'm not saying apple has the best customer service- yada yada yada- it was my "only" interaction with them over all the years I have had ipods, and it was one of the best customer service experiances I ever had. Things like that stick in your mind when you have so many bad experiances with CS, creative with my multiple zen micro broken HP jacks come to mind- horrible
mad.gif
Also cowon has bugled stuff for me before, but they are really small and have limited resources (unlike microsoft) I think they have like 2 people in their service center in California, lol.

You still might want to contact amazon, even though it's well after your 30 days. I had a problem with an item after the 30 days and the company wouldn't help me and amazon replaced it. Of course a cracked screen is one of those touchy subjects, but still if you explained it to them as you did to us maybe they might help you. I have always had awesome results with amazon, and I buy "tons" of stuff, if microsoft won't help you maybe they will step up to the plate so to speak.

Feb 29, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 29
I will call Amazon, and see what they say. Thanks for the advice. After googling "cracked zune screen," I was at least feeling better that I wasn't nuts, and hardly alone. The fact that MS is giving reference numbers for the screen cracking indicates they know there is a problem. They must have some threshold before they will act. I bet if a major tech writer/site did a story on it, they would change their tune. Gives me an idea.

Meantime, I am at the car dealer (lousy wifi), another $250 down the drain. Doh! I could have bought a Zune replacement. Not!

At least I can still listen to the Zune, which does sound great.

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 29
Wow, is all I can say. Since I am a major Amazon buyer (Amazon Prime too), Amazon has agreed to make a one-time refund for the Zune80. They emailed me a label, and all I have to do is send back the Zune and the cable (I still have the box too) and they will credit my Amex card partially. Then, when I get an email notice about that refund, I am to call customer support again for them to refund the remaining balance on the Zune, which was $249.

I was told, of course, that this was a one-time effort, because I was an outstanding customer. But I have to say, this blows me away. I ordered the Zune on Nov. 13, and received it on Nov. 30, so it's well beyond the 30-day return/refund/exchange limits.

So anyone who doubts Amazon's commitment to customer service can use this story as proof that they rule as the premier e-tailer.

I still can't believe it. I have to wipe off personal photos, and get it ready to hand over to the UPS guy either today if he comes by or Monday morning.

Oh, and the Amazon CSR said that if there is the same problem with the Zune screen, I should contact them again, and they would make some noise with MS over the issue. Not sure that's gonna happen, because this time I intend to treat the machine with kid gloves, and a protective case, etc.

Finally, I also have American Express, and I would have been able use the 90-day insurance they provide on lost, stolen or broken items, but decided to stick with Amazon's offer, since they were so good to make it.

Feb 29, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 29
Maybe I should get a case for mine like I had been planning. Every time I think about I say the Zune doesn't scratch enough for me to worry about it, and while mine is still flawless I guess there is always that chance. I just need something slim enough, good looking enough, and cheap enough.

*Actually I found one, rather cheap but looks sturdy enough I might have to consider it.

Feb 29, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 29
I ordered a skin from Amazon ($11) with a screen protector, and also an Inciopio case, but it's out of stock. Not taking any changes this time. And certainly won't be pressing on the screen at all.

Feb 29, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, is all I can say. Since I am a major Amazon buyer (Amazon Prime too), Amazon has agreed to make a one-time refund for the Zune80.

I did tell you Amazon would refund you! You're such a pessimist
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 1 year old Zune 30 survived many drops w/o even getting huge scratches on its body much less a crack

The 1 month old Zune 80 have already survived 4drops w/o a screen scratch..but the laser-etched tattoo is showing signs of wear.

Zune 30 was much of its time inside the small pouch included in the package.

Zune 80 have been totally naked. getting a silicone case + screen protector 'cause the tatoo is showing wear marks.

I've had my zune 30 in the pouch for almost the whole time and it has plenty of scratches.

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did tell you Amazon would refund you! You're such a pessimist
biggrin.gif

This was a real one-off, as they say. I have to follow a two-step process to get a full refund, but they were great. Doubt they will do it again, but hope no need. The new Zune has already shipped. Will be here Monday. Into the case it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back