WARNING TO EVERYONE, DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM Rakuten.com (buy.com)
May 29, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 18
Dang, good thing I didn't go for Rakuten's special with tenso to buy some Jpop CDs then...
Thanks for the heads up!

May 29, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 18
I mentioned this in the deals thread a week ago, but it does deserve it's own thread since a lot of head-fi'er buys from Rakuten.

I think it's safe if you use paypal, but I wouldn't risk it. I hope the police investigation will encourage Rakuten to do something since they've been dismissive about the complaints

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 18
One question: how and why the !@#$ does Rakuten.com have SSN's for their customers???? I've used Buy.com for over a decade and have never, to my knowledge, been asked for my SSN and if I were I most certainly would not give it to them. So what gives? The northjersey.com article mentions that SSNs were stolen along with contact info and credit card info. How is this possible???

On a related note.... never, EVER, give your SSN out online, certainly not to a retail website. I see no reason why they would need it and it would be irresponsible for them to ask for it and/or store it.

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
One question: how and why the !@#$ does Rakuten.com have SSN's for their customers???? I've used Buy.com for over a decade and have never, to my knowledge, been asked for my SSN and if I were I most certainly would not give it to them. So what gives? The northjersey.com article mentions that SSNs were stolen along with contact info and credit card info. How is this possible???

On a related note.... never, EVER, give your SSN out online, certainly not to a retail website. I see no reason why they would need it and it would be irresponsible for them to ask for it and/or store it.

I'm not sure how they got it because I'm 100% I did not give it out. It could be those that use their SSN to get their buy.com(rakuten) credit card?

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #13 of 18
I'm thinking that the report that SSNs were part of what was stolen is a mistake. I just don't think there's any way Rakuten.com would ask for or store SSNs for their customers. And the perp certainly doesn't need more than contact info and credit card info to place fraudulent orders online.

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
I'm thinking that the report that SSNs were part of what was stolen is a mistake. I just don't think there's any way Rakuten.com would ask for or store SSNs for their customers. And the perp certainly doesn't need more than contact info and credit card info to place fraudulent orders online.

I got this from slick deals

in order to open CC in your name I think they need to get your SSN somehow. And the only place one needs to type in SSN on rakuten is when using bill me later.

So I guess it's people who open a rakuten credit card or people who use bill me later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back