Warning: Some may find the image extremely disturbing, some wont - Who'z wearing the DT770 ?
Aug 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #21 of 28
@iDriveFerraris ... Thanks for all those images :) 

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #22 of 28
LOL, hate all you want but Bieber is gettin' paper.

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:
I don't quite get it, why are they recording while hearing it on a DT770 which is somewhat colored? 

I thought they should be listening via a neutral can? Am I right? Please help me understand this. 

Because, I have seen this happening often...using DT770 while recording....and I don't understand why?

Maybe the composer is using some other cans, where the singer uses DT770 ? I have no idea...but...would appreciate some answers.

Thanks in advance.

Here's a good thing to think about, because you can adapt to a headphone's sound and translate how it should sound on this headphone to sound great overall, after hearing lots of different tracks on the headphone you know how it's supposed to sound on THAT headphone, then you just make it similar sounding as the experience you have listening to wide variety of tracks on the headphone. I'm mastering hardstyle tracks for 2 different upcoming young talents on my M-Audio Q40 personally which I'd still concider better balanced as the mids & highs are more even but still has a significant bass bump especially and slight peak around 8kHz but otherwise slightly rolled off at 10kHz+. I'd even have trouble mastering if I swapped to a very neutral headphone now and couldn't probably master well until I've heard lots of tracks with this new headphone to get a better sense of what levels everything should be on. It's not necessarily what sounds best on the most natural headphone which leads to the best end result but what corresponds the best to the "golden middlepath" when listening to a wide variety of different tracks produced & mastered by a lot of different people on the headphone in question. Of course it'll still need a good pair of ears able to translate what they hear if going that route. However a muddy or forgiving sound for example is running the risk of missing some fine error as it's masked by the muddy (or whatever major flaw) sound so a good balance is still important but I'd say good clarity and analytical sound is more important than whatever it's V-shape sound or not.

It's funny when one of these DJs asked me for feedback on a track while I had bought a new headphone I was like "ok wait a few secs, gotta change back to my M-Audio Q40 to be able to tell".

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Here's a good thing to think about, because you can adapt to a headphone's sound and translate how it should sound on this headphone to sound great overall, after hearing lots of different tracks on the headphone you know how it's supposed to sound on THAT headphone, then you just make it similar sounding as the experience you have listening to wide variety of tracks on the headphone. I'm mastering hardstyle tracks for 2 different upcoming young talents on my M-Audio Q40 personally which I'd still concider better balanced as the mids & highs are more even but still has a significant bass bump especially and slight peak around 8kHz but otherwise slightly rolled off at 10kHz+. I'd even have trouble mastering if I swapped to a very neutral headphone now and couldn't probably master well until I've heard lots of tracks with this new headphone to get a better sense of what levels everything should be on. It's not necessarily what sounds best on the most natural headphone which leads to the best end result but what corresponds the best to the "golden middlepath" when listening to a wide variety of different tracks produced & mastered by a lot of different people on the headphone in question. Of course it'll still need a good pair of ears able to translate what they hear if going that route.

It's funny when one of these DJs asked me for feedback on a track while I had bought a new headphone I was like "ok wait a few secs, gotta change back to my M-Audio Q40 to be able to tell".

Bro, you just blew my mind away with this answer. Can't thank you enough. I mean, it totally makes sense...its a matter of individual choice and preference and what they have their ears tuned to...their favourite pair of cans. Then everything co-relates from there... Yes ! I totally get it now.

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #25 of 28
I don't quite get it, why are they recording while hearing it on a DT770 which is somewhat colored? 

I thought they should be listening via a neutral can? Am I right? Please help me understand this. 

Because, I have seen this happening often...using DT770 while recording....and I don't understand why?

Maybe the composer is using some other cans, where the singer uses DT770 ? I have no idea...but...would appreciate some answers.

Thanks in advance.

There is no "perfectly uncolored" is the other thing (to add to what RPG said about getting used to a given sound and so on - given that I've never seen the guy in the OP pictured without 770s, perhaps that's his preference), and most mastering set-ups use speakers anyways (to ensure that the mix will translate to speakers). He's probably wearing those headphones for monitoring or to listen to a click track or something, not because he's actually mixing (I don't really know much about that guy, but I'm doubting that he both performs and produces and masters all of his work - there's probably at least a half dozen other people working to make that happen). He also has them on backwards if I'm seeing that right (so does Ben Stiller) which makes me wonder if the images haven't been flipped or if they're just using them for something that's mono-fed where it doesn't matter (like a click track or talkback feed). Isolation is also probably more important than absolute accuracy here ("how are the children supposed to monitor the track if they can't hear the feed over their singing").

So you see whatever performer in front of the mic with their monitor cans on, but there's a guy on the other side of the glass staring down something more like this:
http://www.solidstatelogic.com/news/hires/Duality_SE_Abbey_Road_Studio_52_alt_large.jpg (didn't embed because it's HUGE) .

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
There is no "perfectly uncolored" is the other thing (to add to what RPG said about getting used to a given sound and so on - given that I've never seen the guy in the OP pictured without 770s, perhaps that's his preference), and most mastering set-ups use speakers anyways (to ensure that the mix will translate to speakers). He's probably wearing those headphones for monitoring or to listen to a click track or something, not because he's actually mixing (I don't really know much about that guy, but I'm doubting that he both performs and produces and masters all of his work - there's probably at least a half dozen other people working to make that happen). He also has them on backwards if I'm seeing that right (so does Ben Stiller) which makes me wonder if the images haven't been flipped or if they're just using them for something that's mono-fed where it doesn't matter (like a click track or talkback feed). Isolation is also probably more important than absolute accuracy here ("how are the children supposed to monitor the track if they can't hear the feed over their singing").
So you see whatever performer in front of the mic with their monitor cans on, but there's a guy on the other side of the glass staring down something more like this:
http://www.solidstatelogic.com/news/hires/Duality_SE_Abbey_Road_Studio_52_alt_large.jpg (didn't embed because it's HUGE) .

Interesting...thanks for adding in mate....u r right...the people behind the glass will be having all sorts of other equipments of a different nature. 
Wondering what are the most popular sets of cans in the studios...hmmmm...
Thanks for the image too...awesome setup...

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Wondering what are the most popular sets of cans in the studios...hmmmm...

Would probably say Sony MDR-7506s and V6s as the most ubiquitous headphones found in studios.  Every studio I have been to has several pairs kicking about. 

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Would probably say Sony MDR-7506s and V6s as the most ubiquitous headphones found in studios.  Every studio I have been to has several pairs kicking about. 

Wow...thats really interesting...out of all the phones we see here...7506s and V6s are preferred in recording studios...
After lookin at the FR graphs, I am not surprised why...Tks for the share mate...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back