WARNING: Fake IE8s! Comparison pictures included!!
Nov 23, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #947 of 1,210
What we don't know is that the makers of fakes are reading all these articles to improve and make them even more FAKE to the point we don't recognize them anymore! The final proof is when you test them and pray that you have good hearing to recognize quality sound.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #948 of 1,210

Quote:
What we don't know is that the makers of fakes are reading all these articles to improve and make them even more FAKE to the point we don't recognize them anymore! The final proof is when you test them and pray that you have good hearing to recognize quality sound.

No your best bet it to not take a gamble at all and buy from a Sennheiser Authorized dealer to begin with. Unless you can confirm for sure that they are indeed legit and the price is worth it, generally in this case though if its too good to be true it usually is.

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #950 of 1,210
I'm not sure, but the website looks hardly professional, and personally speaking would be avoided.

Bargainpile.net also sells the IE8 for £119. however I believe they're hiding behind a proxy server.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #951 of 1,210
Everyone stop taking chances. PLEASE! Save your hard earned time and money on something you'll enjoy. The fakes will depress you beyond belief, and you'll say, "If only I waited a couple more weeks, I could have had real ones." Even if you got them with Paypal, if you have to return ship fakes overseas you're boned. I had to pay $40 to return (Canada to England) my fakes and they ended up back here anyways. What a waste. The real ones are so worth it, I can't stress that enough. It sucked for me in Canada having to use NCIX and paying 389.99 with tax and shipping included but it gave me piece of mind and to my delight they were real. I was able to get replacements when I had trouble as well, without an authorized dealer it's not so easy. I'm going to replace this pair as well and maybe they'll even give me IE80s, who knows. So please people, please, please, please stop trying to take short cuts. It will greatly benefit you, just save the money and get the real deal rather than be out money and have nothing but pretty IE8s that sound like you purchased them at the dollar store. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #952 of 1,210

Quote:
Everyone stop taking chances. PLEASE! Save your hard earned time and money on something you'll enjoy. The fakes will depress you beyond belief, and you'll say, "If only I waited a couple more weeks, I could have had real ones." Even if you got them with Paypal, if you have to return ship fakes overseas you're boned. I had to pay $40 to return (Canada to England) my fakes and they ended up back here anyways. What a waste. The real ones are so worth it, I can't stress that enough. It sucked for me in Canada having to use NCIX and paying 389.99 with tax and shipping included but it gave me piece of mind and to my delight they were real. I was able to get replacements when I had trouble as well, without an authorized dealer it's not so easy. I'm going to replace this pair as well and maybe they'll even give me IE80s, who knows. So please people, please, please, please stop trying to take short cuts. It will greatly benefit you, just save the money and get the real deal rather than be out money and have nothing but pretty IE8s that sound like you purchased them at the dollar store. 

Wait, so you payed for them to be shipped back? When I ended up with a fake pair of Bose IE2s I forced the seller to pay the shipping back to him or I wouldn't ship it back period as this is his/her fault and not mine. I made this clear with paypal as well, or was it eBay. Either-way if it is not disclosed that the item you are buying is a fake, then you cannot be forced to deal with it (at least when paypal/eBay is involved). But it's not worth going through the hassle of having to go through procedures to get refunded (PITA). Just stay clear of deals that appear too good to be true.

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #953 of 1,210
Hey guys; I need your help in deciding if my IE 8's are genuine or not.

I ordered directly from razordogdeals.

He is an authorized Sennheiser dealer, and as far as I can tell from Head-Fiers, he's a pretty reputable person to buy from. So, I received my IE 8 today, and even though I'm 95% positive it's a genuine IE 8, I'm concerned about a few things. I've taken several pictures, and commented on each. Hopefully someone can check to see if the one I received is genuine or not.

As for the sound quality coming from the IE 8 straight out of the box, I was pretty impressed with it, but I don't know if that's just because I'm telling myself I spent ~$300 on it. The only other IEM I've ever bought was the NuForce NE-700X (which I returned), so I don't really have any other top-end IEMs to compare the IE 8 to. Though, compared to the two full-size headphones that I own, HD595 and HFI-780, I think the IE 8 sounds equal to or better than either of them.

Here are the pictures with annotations:

So what do you guys think? Any telltale signs that it's a counterfeit?

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #955 of 1,210

Dude if you ordered from razordog they are real. He is an Authorized Sennheiser dealer. Stop worrying and enjoy your new IEMs. I bought my IE80s from him a few weeks back. Chill out and enjoy :wink:.
Quote:

He is an authorized Sennheiser dealer, and as far as I can tell from Head-Fiers, he's a pretty reputable person to buy from. So, I received my IE 8 today, and even though I'm 95% positive it's a genuine IE 8, I'm concerned about a few things. I've taken several pictures, and commented on each. Hopefully someone can check to see if the one I received is genuine or not.

As for the sound quality coming from the IE 8 straight out of the box, I was pretty impressed with it, but I don't know if that's just because I'm telling myself I spent ~$300 on it. The only other IEM I've ever bought was the NuForce NE-700X (which I returned), so I don't really have any other top-end IEMs to compare the IE 8 to. Though, compared to the two full-size headphones that I own, HD595 and HFI-780, I think the IE 8 sounds equal to or better than either of them.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #957 of 1,210
Quote:
Dude if you ordered from razordog they are real. He is an Authorized Sennheiser dealer. Stop worrying and enjoy your new IEMs. I bought my IE80s from him a few weeks back. Chill out and enjoy :wink:.

Thanks guys :) and yeah, I guess I should be less paranoid.

But I must say that having read through about half of this thread, and considering that I spent close to $300 on the IE 8, it got me pretty bothered.

Though, for anyone who has heard the "fake" IE 8's, is the sound quality noticeably terrible? Would I definitely be able to notice a fake one, without having ever listened to a "genuine" IE 8? I think I'm going to trust my ears and say that my IE 8's do in fact sound really good so far, and they haven't even been burned in yet.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #958 of 1,210

Quote:

Completely real. I can tell from a glance. Also, the recessed bass adjustment screw is also an attribute I noticed on my real IE8s. Also, as others have said, razordog is an authorized dealer, so you don't have to worry. Enjoy your IE8s!

P.S. Genuine IE8s are indeed made in China. Just because something is manufactured in China does not signal bad quality. It is up to the manufacturer to create production standards in their factories within China, so many good quality products are often made China (and misrepresented by consumers as lower quality).

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #960 of 1,210
Completely real - One really obvious sign of a fake is the foam that the IEM's sit in - the foam is dense and the opening is cut sharply - on the fakes, the foam is less dense and the cuts are rounded - I myself wondered about my second pair as it was hard to see any red chip in the cable. The newer revision seems to have a darker plastic. One other thing is that your box is not the shiny variety - the new ones have a matte finish - plus you have the second barcode - the fakes only have one. But most importantly, the fakes sound terrible! There is no low end whatsoever. You would know if you had a fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back