WARNING: Fake IE8s! Comparison pictures included!!
Aug 10, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #902 of 1,210
I just realised that the manufacturer of the fake IE8's could look at this page and make adjustments to his product.

Then, they would truly be identical copies : )

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #904 of 1,210
I have purchased Sennheiser IE8 from eBay, reputable seller. 

They seem to be genuine, they correspond with the genuine IE8s pictured.

1. They have the red wire in the right jack.
2. The R and L are slightly angled.
3. The aluminum box is smooth, rather than noticeably brushed.
4. The cables are slightly dark.
5. The Sennheiser IE8 logo is surrounded by very thin lines, rather than thick lines found on fakes.

They have been burned in for around 100H, however the bass adjuster makes absolutely no difference.

I have also found the barcode to start before the R, however apparently not determining factor of fakes.

EAN  4044156013091
UPC  615104118997

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #905 of 1,210
"Reputable" sadly means nothing.   Many of these fake dealers on Ebay have perfect or near perfect feedback ratings with hundreds or thousands of seemingly happy customers.  Most buyers likely don't know they're getting fakes or if they figure it out, it's too late since they received their purchase and left positive feedback.

I'm a major bargain hunter and Ebayer, but I will pretty much NEVER buy any consumer electronics on Ebay.....

If your bass adjustment doesn't work that might be your only hope.....try to see if the seller will accept a return since it's "defective".   Hope you didn't leave feedback already....

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #906 of 1,210
I have removed the driver, and compared to the genuine driver from this thread, and I'm happy to confirm my IE8s are genuine.

However the bass adjuster must be faulty. I can't differentiate between the minimum and maximum bass, make absolutely no difference.

Apparently they were brought brand new in January, though I doubt sennheiser will repair them.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/464460/inside-the-fake-ie8

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #907 of 1,210
xtremetechuk,

Have you checked the storage case magnetic latch, per post #862? The eBay fakes I bought initially (and returned) did not have this.

Also, the top and bottom plates of the storage case should be finely brushed aluminum and not any sort of galvanized (splotchy) looking metal.

Real IE8's have a (2) year warranty, so yes they would replace yours if the adjuster is faulty.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #911 of 1,210
Yes the storage box does have the magnetic, and one side smooth, yet opposite side slightly more brushed.

I have removed the driver, and have already confirmed authentic from comparing to other pictures. However doing so, I have violated Sennheisers terms and conditions regarding warranty. Not that it matters anymore, the bass adjuster was working originally. However I have been using them with my Pioneer receiver, and couldn't differentiate the bass dial. Once I started using them with portable source, the difference was much more distinct.

After 100H, I'm still not impressed though, they sound rather muddy compared to my CK10. I suppose I can't really compare them considering the sound signatures. I do believe the IE8s to be more pleasant and suitable with rock though.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #912 of 1,210
^ had a friend who didn't mind fake ones buy them from that site. I checked it out, and confirmed it's fake

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #914 of 1,210
Your photo's showing the back of each ear-piece (headphone?) seem to be in error.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/iem2.jpg/

The one you say is fake (RHS) looks identical to the picture on Sennheiser's website, yet the one you say is real (LHS) looks different from the official picture.

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_portable_500772

Any thoughts? (Two different versions early and late? Or are the pictures the wrong way around?

I'd really like to know, 'cos I've bought a (cheapass) pair off Ebay and am awaiting their delivery - and having read this in the meantime, I'm a bit nervous about what I'll receive.

Paul

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #915 of 1,210
I just pulled the trigger and ordered the IE8I's off amazon.co.uk and I'm now getting worried about this fake business. Does anyone know if there is a danger that my IEMs will be fake using Amazon UK?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-IE-8i-High-fidelity-Ear-Canal/dp/B003WV391Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317341223&sr=1-1

That is the one I have gone for. If someone can confirm to me that it is a safe place to buy from just for my peace of mind, I will be hugely grateful.

If not then I will have to cancel and find somewhere that is known to supply genuine products.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back