WARNING: Fake IE8s! Comparison pictures included!!
Jun 3, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #826 of 1,210

Quote:
is there really such a thing as non-retail version? i asked my trusted dealer of headphones and iem's here in China and he told me that those non retail-versions which are sold in many online selling sites are class AAA fakes, and because they are highly imitation, even audiophiles are sometimes tricked. still. according to him, these non retail versions are coming from HK. I hope someone from Sennheiser can clarify this matter.

No...they are never sold that way by Sennheiser.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #829 of 1,210
those are legit

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 8, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #833 of 1,210
Hi!

First post on this site, registered basically just to say this:

Tomorrow I'll be getting two pairs of IE8:s in the mail, one pair of fakes and one pair of genuines.
I know the Genuine ones are genuine because they are bought from one of Swedens largest online retailers for home electronics, audio equipment and so on. Cost for them: $389

The fakes are from FocalPrice.com and cost me ~ $25

I'll try to post a video on youtube where I compare the two and give out some hints on how to detect the fakes.

Anyhow, is there any place to buy a replacement cable for the IE8:s so that it basically becomes a IE8i? I'm guessing the IE8i:s cable would work without any problems with the IE8:s? Can't really seem to find any retailers that will ship to sweden that carries the replacement cables.

Also, these IE8:s will join my current Jays T-Jays Three, Jays D-jays, Sennheiser CX300-II, Sennheiser CX400, Klipsch Image S4, SoundMagic PL50 and SoundMagic PL-11. I'm hoping these will blow away the competition as I'd hate to spend $400 on IEMs that sound just "a little bit better" than the ~ $100 Jays T-Jays Three...

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #834 of 1,210

[size=1.6em] Caveat emptor[/size]

There is not just one 'fake IE 8'. There are many, many evolutions of them. Some look extremely close to the real thing. The fakes pictured in the beginning of this post are circa 2009. Trust me the latest fakes are not the same - they have improved ALL the little details and are even closer 'looking' to real IE 8's. 

The one thing that all fakes have in common is - none have real Sennheiser drivers inside, since you can't readily see them, and this is ultimately the biggest problem with buying them from ANY source that isn't directly supplied by the Sennheiser factory through the authorized dealer network.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #835 of 1,210

Actually there are fakes out there sporting real genuine drivers inside albeit fake outer shell. These still cost around $100 or so dollars compared to the retail $350-400.
Quote:

[size=1.6em] Caveat emptor[/size]

There is not just one 'fake IE 8'. There are many, many evolutions of them. Some look extremely close to the real thing. The fakes pictured in the beginning of this post are circa 2009. Trust me the latest fakes are not the same - they have improved ALL the little details and are even closer 'looking' to real IE 8's. 

The one thing that all fakes have in common is - none have real Sennheiser drivers inside, since you can't readily see them, and this is ultimately the biggest problem with buying them from ANY source that isn't directly supplied by the Sennheiser factory through the authorized dealer network.

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #836 of 1,210

Quote:
Actually there are fakes out there sporting real genuine drivers inside albeit fake outer shell. These still cost around $100 or so dollars compared to the retail $350-400.

Hmmm..."genuine (Sennheiser) drivers"...huh? Care to explain how they obtain the drivers FROM Sennheiser?

I mean the definition of 'fake' is they have non-Sennheiser made parts like the drivers. Genuine Sennheiser drivers are actually made in Germany even though the phones are assembled at Sennheiser facilities in China. I seriously doubt anyone can obtain the German drivers separately. Also 'fakes' don't get tested and inspected to Sennheiser specs obviously.

I have actually talked to Sennheiser HQ about 'fakes'. They were very helpful in resolving questions regarding "are my phones real, or not".

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #837 of 1,210
Just had the rubbish experience of receiving fake IE8's. I purchased them from a UK Amazon Marketplace seller although they were fulfilled by Amazon for the price of £165.99.

As soon as I started unpacking them I thought something wasn't right. The packaging seemed fairly poor although I just ignored it and carried getting out the headphones. The thing I noticed on my first listen was a crackling sound when I put them into my iPhone jack. This also happened when the plug was moved around in the jack. I thought it wasn't very good for an expensive pair of headphones. I then thought that the sound wasn't very good, it all seemed very light and tinny with very little bass. I thought that maybe I needed to try different buds, so I went looking for some different ones to try. I found a pair which matched my old Sennheiser buds and popped them in my ears, but again the sound was very poor and not what I expected, so I then thought I would try playing about with the bass settings. Using the tool provided I twisted the left ear piece bass to a higher setting and then moved onto the right. However the right one wouldn't move and in fact bent the end of the tool. Again I thought that this was all a very poor experience. I popped them back into my ears again to then noticed that the right ear piece failed to work. Gutted! I carried on looking through the rest of the contents and noticed that various bits were missing. I didn't have the storage box or the clip and some of the buds were also missing. This made me immediatley suspect that something was wrong, so I went online and came across this brilliant thread. It helped me identify mine as fakes.

I can confirm that all of the following was wrong with mine:
  1. The right earphone was faulty
  2. The sound crackled when moved in the headphone jack
  3. Was missing many of the ear pieces
  4. Didn't receive the case
  5. Didn't receive the clip
  6. The right earphone bass control wouldn't turn
  7. The bass control tool bent when trying to adjust the right hand bass setting

I have since received some genuine IE8's and instantly noticed the difference:
  1. The quality of the box and packaging was much better on the originals
  2. The lettering on top of the box was embossed where it wasn't on the fakes
  3. The red chip inside the headphones wasn't present on the fakes
  4. There was no hologram sticker on the fakes
  5. The barcode on the box was positioned as stated in the original post
  6. The bass adjustment tool is of much better quality on the originals
  7. I have all the accessories and buds with the originals
  8. And oh yes, the sound is awesome!!

The scary thing is, that if they weren't faulty and hadn't been missing stuff, I may have never known and just thought they were a rubbish pair of headphones. So a big thanks to SolidVictory and his brilliant thread for helping me identify mine as fakes.

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #838 of 1,210
markwilliamsweb,

I have personally experienced IE 8's that don't have ANY of the issues you mentioned above. The packaging, the 'red wire', adjustment knobs, the accessories, the hologram, etc. were all present and accounted for, but they were still not authentic Sennheisers. 

I suggest those who want to check the legitimacy of their (hopefully refundable) purchase call Sennheiser directly @ 860-434-9190 in the US.

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #839 of 1,210
Blimey, it is scary isn't it?

It's the first time that I've ever (to my knowledge) received a fake item of any kind and whilst it was easy enough to spot mine, it is scary how well done these fakes are becoming.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #840 of 1,210
I had even had sennheiser stock check that they had sent IE8s to hughes direct, They confirmed they did, The other problem is with IE8s they don't sound that amazing out of the box they need alot of hours burn in before they settle down, Which is a problem because you still think you have fakes untill they are fully bedded in then you realize how good they sound lol.

Nat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back