WARNING: Fake IE8s! Comparison pictures included!!
May 2, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #781 of 1,210
Just got of the phone with JR.com sales rep. Website has them listed for 399.00. Bought the IE8 for 249.00 shipped !! Woo hoo! cant wait.

Out of curiosity, is any chance at all that i will be receiving a fake from JR. One of the things that has be worrying is the fact that they are in NY (a heavy asian populated state) and most counterfeiters who has connections to china could approach this very company offering them a deal which can sound very lucrative - considering the fakes can be mimicked so perfectly that its hard to differenciate to the unknown.  This thread had caused a tremendous amount of nervousness everytime im prepared to buy the IE8 - till today i finally folded and said to myself, screw it. i cant wait anymore. But the sales rep, gave me a 30day no restocking.. so im rather relieved to say the least.

May 2, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #782 of 1,210
I just bought some IE8's as well i got them from the second most rated online audio supplier online.. so hopping they are real or i'll be crying for afew weeks.

May 2, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #783 of 1,210

Quote:
Just got of the phone with JR.com sales rep. Website has them listed for 399.00. Bought the IE8 for 249.00 shipped !! Woo hoo! cant wait.

Out of curiosity, is any chance at all that i will be receiving a fake from JR. One of the things that has be worrying is the fact that they are in NY (a heavy asian populated state) and most counterfeiters who has connections to china could approach this very company offering them a deal which can sound very lucrative - considering the fakes can be mimicked so perfectly that its hard to differenciate to the unknown.  This thread had caused a tremendous amount of nervousness everytime im prepared to buy the IE8 - till today i finally folded and said to myself, screw it. i cant wait anymore. But the sales rep, gave me a 30day no restocking.. so im rather relieved to say the least.

1/10 chances of that happening, otherwise you can get a refund instantly from them if you received a fake.

May 3, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #784 of 1,210

Quote:

Very low chance of happening. And even if it did happen, you can get a refund easily as DefQon mentioned.

May 3, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #785 of 1,210
..yes my originals had a serial number (10 digits, 0500000nnn). It was sticked on the foil which was wrapped around the box.
After a while listening again to the IE8 shows me that the sound is really "soft" and "warm" so sometimes one could think there is recessed highs. But after a few minutes one adapts to the beautiful sound(stage). Especially recordings like Nick Cave ("Let Love In") or Marianne Faithfull "Why D'Ya Do It" (album "A Perfect Stranger - The Island Anthology") or other recordings with "too much highs" and a lot of "clipping" are pure joy through IE8. Those recordings are e.g. "not suitable" for my Grado 325i.

Regards

May 4, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #786 of 1,210
Quote:
1/10 chances of that happening, otherwise you can get a refund instantly from them if you received a fake.

1/10 chance is not 0/10
frown.gif
.. I know what you mean though.. just paranoia thats all. But thank you for the reassurance.

Quote:

Very low chance of happening. And even if it did happen, you can get a refund easily as DefQon mentioned.

"very low" is not "no chance at all"... Theres still "that minor chance" ... Still paranoid. But thank you for the reassurance.

May 4, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #787 of 1,210
Hi everyone, need for help.
I bought a pair from a website in France, http://www.webdistrib.com/cat/home.php, whick looks quite profesionnal, at a price of 178euro. The price is not that suspiciously cheap because at that time, amazon.fr offered almost the same price officially.
The thing is, 2 or 3 weeks later, the website (webdistrib) stoped selling the whole IE series....And I have some concerns about the angled L/R and the package.

Is this what you guys mean the 'red chip/wire'? For mine, it's more visible when I look it from the side part but not the front part. And it's actully the color of a cable itself but not a third stuff besides two cables...

Is this the right angle???

The outer side of the cover is quite bright...

The most suspicious part, the inner side of the cover, is black and white! It's not a technical problem of photographing, but it is really black and white, while from all the pictures I see from internet, it should be colorful! I don't know whether it's just a recent change of the print or not. I bought them in February.

There is a small paper sticked under the bar code, showing the series numbre in my box and I tried to register on Sennheiser's website with it and I succeeded. Does it mean the product is real or they just recorded my information without checking the code?

Anyone can help analyse my case?
Thank you!!!

May 4, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #788 of 1,210
I've done nothing but look into Fake IE8s for the past 4 days since mine are here in less then 24 hours, To be honest you need more pictures from all angles of the phones and the box.

And apart from the R letter the sleave and the wire looks real the wire should have a soft feel and matt finish,At the looks of the phone itself is quite shiny and the fake ones are dull, No idea about the sennheiser's barcode but i did read that the last 5 numbers are a UNR for the headphones.

I ordered mine from a division of a authed dealer who are the same company so i'll know mine are real and i'll post some pics tomoz if you want to compare.

May 4, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #789 of 1,210
Many thanks to natashaful!
Actually I only took pictures of and posted the suspicious points for me. For the rest, like the 's' on the metal box, the 's' on the phones etc. are all perfectly matched to the real ones.
What I concern the most is the black and white color of the inner cover.
But on the other side, isn't it a stupid and impossible mistake for the counterfeiters, who made everything else so real, cause it's so evident to find out...

May 4, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #790 of 1,210
I think the best possible way to figure out if they're fakes or not, if you actually have them on-hand, is to listen to them.  If they sound like total crap, they're fake.  The real IE8s, while not for everyone, don't sound like absolute crap. :p

May 4, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #792 of 1,210
I found a site with a review with the box and close up shots of them if you google for "Sennheiser IE 8 Review" its a site with Ipod in the name i can't post it i don't know the rules on linking.
IF you look through the pictures here you will see the R and the L is vertical also and the box barcode depending on the angle looks like it's before the R but one thing is for sure the colours of the BOX are really black.

The only true way to tell is going to be to Burn them in over a 20-30 hour period while you sleep, Email Sennheiser, Try reg the product with them(Although i'm pretty sure this does nothing until they break and you send them in for repair).

The fake ones apparently have muffled bass and the adjuster makes a small difference, Real ones with bass based music it makes a big difference so the only real way is to listen..

As i say i get mine in 24 hours so i will post pictures, Mine are also coming from a Authed dealer so we can compare :).

May 5, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #793 of 1,210
@ bunta and taidu...both your IE8's look real, as for your box taidu where it looks kind of white and black only but with a tad bit of tonish skin colour is normal, well its the same case with my IE7's and my IE7's are genuine so yeah. With the red wire, if you can't see your red wire doesn't mean you have a fake, listen to the sound, if your sound is dull and really loose, then its a 9/10 possibility if you have a fake. Also where you purchased from and for how much also counts towards whether or not its a fake or not.

May 5, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #794 of 1,210
Quote:
@ bunta and taidu...both your IE8's look real,....
listen to the sound, if your sound is dull and really loose, then its a 9/10 possibility if you have a fake."

I would also say, that yours are real. I have exactly the same symptoms.
But to get an imagine how the real IE8 sounds you need time to burn in. Out of the box, I didn't like the sound; not, at all. But the fake one I got in relation sounded great (if it was really a fake, because of missing red-wire)!

May 5, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #795 of 1,210
Just got mine doing afew tests etc i'll post pics of mine tonight, I was alittle concerned when i got them because the top of the packaging has started to peel but it looks like they have been sat in a wherehouse for the past 12 months being moved around on the underside of the packaging where the price was direct from sennheiser pricing barcode for €319.95 i was told they order them direct from senn wherehouse and it appears they do.
I've checked  all the things you are supposed to check for fakes etc and half of the things match fakes half don't and thease are from a authed dealer.. But it's the sound right ? well out of the box they sound better then my sound staged HD555's so i can only assume they are infact real the adjustable bass works as well but if you are controling the base through the amp the bass adjustment does very little but if you adjust the bass screw for say a ipod the differance is night and day... All reports of sounding like real ones out of the box.. lots of muddy base no mids tinny highs which is from what i read the real ones do sound like, Comparing them to the Hd555 my 555's actually sound quite bad and tinny now.. :frowning2: damn. pics later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back