WARNING: Fake IE8s! Comparison pictures included!!
Feb 6, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #376 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had a couple of PM asking me to email or send my pics because the OP's they can't access the attachments. I believe if a new users makes one post in the thread or a thread they can see and access the attachments. Can someone with more experience on the forums here confirm this? In any case if you can't see or access the attachments and you are a new user try posting something and see what happens in regards to the attachments. I don't mind helping where I can but I won't be able to handle to many PM's like that or at the least people will be getting responses very sporadically.

I included thumbnails/links for imageshack so I don't know why they are having this problem..

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #377 of 1,210
SolidVictory, they are asking me to send the pictures I have posted, I used the attachment feature of the forum here as I don't know how to use Imageshack. I guess I better find a different way to post attachments.

BTW thanks for starting this thread, it helped me get a refund without alot of hassles. In the end though I was much better off just going to an authorized reseller. The challenge here is the fakes only look like fakes if you can A/B compare them to the real thing and even then it's challenging. My fakes were pretty darn obvious though when I took the pictures of the real IE8 and compared them.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #378 of 1,210
Quote:

Thanks for the encouragement.

Here are four more photos, one is another shot of the right IEM with the red in the connector, one is the red wire showing in the jack, and two are fake and real shots of the side of the Y connector housing.

Can you see the red wire from the back side of the right ear piece dweaver? Looking at the side from the bass tuning knob? Hmm I can also not see the red wire from the top of the headphone jack as in your photo, however I can from the bottom the wiring is definately very neat.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #379 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poimandres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you see the red wire from the back side of the right ear piece dweaver? Looking at the side from the bass tuning knob? Hmm I can also not see the red wire from the top of the headphone jack as in your photo, however I can from the bottom the wiring is definately very neat.

Yes, I described it as, "the right IEM with the red in the connector". The picture doesn't show the red alot I may try a different angle to see if I can get the red to show up more but that red wire/chip is definitely there.

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #381 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headroom is an authorized dealer, when you buy from any authorized dealer, nothing to worry. It is often $30~$50 difference between worry and worry-free, why does anyone want to go through sleepless nights? Think about this, if one can't get his money back? If bad sellers demand one to pay both way shipping? Where is the saving? In fact, when one buys from a reliable source, this thread is no use to him at all. Think, think, 'If It's Too Good To Be True..."

Ya I do agree. Thats why I went with headroom. I just requested the lowest price they could quote me at and they gave it to me at 300+. Im pretty happy about that because like you pointed out I don't have to deal with all the other crummy things that could happen. Plus I got the 2 yr warrenty.
darthsmile.gif

Im pretty excited to get it, it should be arriving by monday!

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #383 of 1,210
I'm still unsure whether my ones are fake or not.

Hey, I have checked IEM with an UV lamp (stamps, banknotes...).
There is only ONE part which is visible as "light blue", the thing (what's the name?) which you can move up and down so that the cables don't knot.
Could somebody who has original/fake IEM check this.

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #384 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by apricum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still unsure whether my ones are fake or not.

The "beveled edges of lines near S" as in dweaver's photos...

Hey, I have checked IEM with an UV lamp (stamps, banknotes...).
There is only ONE part which is visible as "light blue", the thing (what's the name?) which you can move up and down so that the cables don't knot.
Could somebody who has original/fake IEM check this.

I'd say yours are fake, judging by the not-so-smooth bass knob and its levels, that detail really shows most of the time.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #385 of 1,210
Quote:

Yes, I described it as, "the right IEM with the red in the connector". The picture doesn't show the red alot I may try a different angle to see if I can get the red to show up more but that red wire/chip is definitely there.

I can definately see the red in mine from the front and side of the right ear piece, I was more curious about the red wire in the jack. I can see the red in mine although not as pronounced as yours and I can see it mainly from the bottom end of the conenctor by the wire and not from the top.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #386 of 1,210
Apricum:

The lettering of the R and L looks off as well and the Y connector also look less precise. My chin slider is not blue tinted at all, it is grey. Also the connectors going in to the IEM housing appear to be shorter.

Can you see the red wire in the right IEM connector? and can you post a shot of the cover of the box the IE8 go into for travel? It would appear those are likely fake though... How do they sound?

Poimander:

The red in my jack is mainly only seen from the angle I have shown, I can't really see the red from the angle you describe, I could see how that might not always be in the exact same spit or as visible though.

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #387 of 1,210
Quote:

Apricum:
and can you post a shot of the cover of the box the IE8 go into for travel? It would appear those are likely fake though... How do they sound?

It does look like a counterfeit compared with your orginal box. I have attached a side by side image.
properties of a my one:
# The S on the box has straight lines as SolidVictory said in #1. Original has not.
# Radius of the S curve is different.
# "brushed metal is overly polish/metallic" as SolidVictory said

Quote:

Apricum:
How do they sound?

Much better than my interim solution which I used because I lost my Koss Porta. So it's no tin can sound. But there is some background hissing when pluged in 1G iPod Touch. I thought high quality headphones will reproduce _everything_ of a bad source. Not at home to check with my cd player.

Quote:

Apricum:
My chin slider is not blue tinted at all, it is grey.

Interesting, a real one has _no_ UV active material.

Quote:

Apricum:
Can you see the red wire in the right IEM connector?

There is something red inside (last image).

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #388 of 1,210
Apricum;

Under that light those look an awful lot like my fakes. I don't have UV lighting but was taking all my pictures under an overhead spotlight type incandescent light that showed things very clearly and really shows the translucence of the fakes as compared to the real ones. That slider look exactly like my fake ones. I also had some red inside the connector to one of the IEM housing, in my case the left IEM connector, but it is not nearly the same as my real IE8 and was on the wrong side as compared to the real IE8. It really looks like the fake makers are starting to read forums like this to figure out what they have done wrong in order to make their fakes harder to detect.

BTW was this bought from a UK seller on Ebay? I ask because my fakes came from a UK seller so they may be from the same factory.

I am just very glad I decided to spend the extra mney and go to an authorized reseller, I don't think I will ever buy a high end item that is known to be faked off of Ebay again other than from authorized resellers, in which case I would just buy from more local sources or known resellers.

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #389 of 1,210
Thanks dweaver. I learned my lesson. I don't wanna know the percentage of sennheiser counterfeits in the market.
Quote:

Apricum;
BTW was this bought from a UK seller on Ebay? I ask because my fakes came from a UK seller so they may be from the same factory.

Yes it was. "Don't get stung by the copies and fakes going around Ebay."
angry_face.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #390 of 1,210
At what price is it a giveaway these would be fake on Ebay?

There's some on there selling at £90-£120 but all the feedback is positive and says the are great, boxed, brand new etc.

I was going to get some tomorrow off there for £140 and thought they were just cheap because Sennheiser stuff is cheaper in the EU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back