WARNING: Fake IE8s! Comparison pictures included!!
Jan 18, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #286 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by algorythm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The seller lives near me and they apparently have a retail shop, so I'm planning on going there and checking them out for myself. I reckon they're fake but you just don't know. But of course I've nothing to lose.

i contacted someone on ebay who bought these from that seller asking if they were genuine and he replied saying

"Hi, when i received them i thought they were genuine, it sounds pretty good.
Thanks for the thread, looking to the photographs i'm sure at 99.99% they're genuine, the box looks more metallic and higher (the earphones), the R and L is angled, the S curves smoothly at the metal box, i can see the red wire...

Seeing this I would buy again at this seller."

i'm considering buying from this seller myself. just hoping not to have the same fiasco as last time.

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #287 of 1,210
Hi guys, me too bought two ie8s from the bay in nov 09, one for myself and one for my family. but both were fakes and paid like ~500usd.. how bad is that.
but luckily i won the claims and thank to this thread. i have been so innocent that i thought top-tier wouldnt have counterfeits.

one of the claims went so easily cause the japanese seller did not defend himself for whatever reason it is. the other one was very tricky, the US seller even misled me that he is an authorized dealer himself. i will keep the story short here otherwise i can go for days. basically, i need to obtain a proof of purchase from syntec australia and fax them to paypal. spent like a ~100aud for shipping and service blah blah but i won both claims now. i consider myself lucky cause many other buyers chose not to follow up on the claims and paypal can be very annoying at times.

my suggestion for anyone who reads this thread: always get a genuine proof of purchase alongside your ie8, be it used or brand new. these are expensive, you need to know what you're paying for.

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #288 of 1,210
i will share all the information ive got here.

these are the findings from syntec australia (sennheiser's only service centre on this 'huge island'), no further elaborations, quite general but they did find out something interesting.

as we all know,
-different colour packaging
-inferior print quality on fake packaging
-on actual headphones labels L & R are in different location

this is interesting,
-different metal used for magnet in packaging

will try to get some comparison pics uploaded here a bit later

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #289 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by jedi_edward007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i consider myself lucky cause many other buyers chose not to follow up on the claims and paypal can be very annoying at times.

yep paypal were b**terds with my claim. their customer service is simply appauling. i got nothing but automated replies when i tried emailing them explaining my situation. just out of the blue they gave me a 2 day deadline to fax them proof of postage otherwise they would simply cancel the case even though the seller got his ie8 back as displayed by the tracking number. 2 days?! i don't even have a fax machine! i explained to paypal i was given a reciept as proof and one paypal employee told me i could scan the reciept to use as proof. luckily my uncle had an old scanner which he had to dust off from the attic. paypal awarded me the claim but even now i'm still waiting for my refund and i opened the claim 31 dec. should get it tomorrow hopefully.

anyway, sorry to go slightly off-topic.

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #290 of 1,210
OK so my used IE8's arrived today and they check out OK except the red chip is in the left side vs the right side. Is this possible or does this mean they are fake. They came from England and are obviously used. The whole box they came with was not included, just the stuff from inside the box, so I can not compare the box to the original. I am looking at the case and they look like the real thing and the other things to look for all check out except that red chip in the right side.

Does anyone know if the little booklets for how to use the IE8 say they are printed in China or not?

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #291 of 1,210
Is it possible the right and left cables have been switched. I know that people have done that to wear the IEMs cable down.

And, how do they sound? If they sound better than anything else you have, the are more than likely real!

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #292 of 1,210
The say R and L on the connector as well so they are on the right sides. I defeinitely can see the chip on the left side though and the first page says that it can be hard to see the chip on one side or the other.

My initial sound impression was bad but when I switched to the included double flange tip the sound improved ALOT and I do think these a real
smily_headphones1.gif
wooohooo. They do need burnin though as the bass is kinda overwhelming right now.

By the way the tip cleaner/screwdriver was in the package, it just was installed into the case because these have deifinitely been used. I have to run back to work (drove home at lunch I was so excited LOL) so will listen at work and give more feedback later tonight.

Also took a quick picture using my camera and thery have that fleck decribed in the initial post.

Expect impressions tonight
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #293 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The say R and L on the connector as well so they are on the right sides. I defeinitely can see the chip on the left side though and the first page says that it can be hard to see the chip on one side or the other.

I forgot about that!

Quote:

My initial sound impression was bad but when I switched to the included double flange tip the sound improved ALOT and I do think these a real
smily_headphones1.gif
wooohooo. They do need burnin though as the bass is kinda overwhelming right now.

They might need burn in (sounds like they might), but IMO tips are very important and adjustment to the sound signature also take some. BTW, is the bass knob on the minimum setting?

Quote:

Expect impressions tonight
wink.gif

Looking forward to it!

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #294 of 1,210
I will take some pics and post them but I am 95% convinced these are the real deal.

The sound is too good to be fake I think. Having said that, I will definitely be playing with tips and such as I am getting severe ear fatigue. But I will leave those questions and posts for the appreciation thread.

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #295 of 1,210
Here are the pictures:

As can be seen the left has the red wire/chip thing but I can't see it in the right connector. Everything else looks real.

Left
dweaver-albums-pictures-my-phones-picture4539-sennie8left.jpg

Right
dweaver-albums-pictures-my-phones-picture4540-sennie8right.jpg

Plug
dweaver-albums-pictures-my-phones-picture4542-sennplug.jpg

Picture with flash to show flecks
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/member...ht-w-flash.jpg
Box cover logo
dweaver-albums-pictures-my-phones-picture4538-senncoverlogo.jpg

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #297 of 1,210
Well the lettering on the modules and elsewhere looks good as was stated earlier since the cables are replaceable it is possible that the left was put on the right and vice versa. How does the lettering look on the top side of the iem's?

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #298 of 1,210
sorry forgot 2 pics. I have no pics of the original box, they were used and they never came with the box.

picture with flash showing flecks in IEM as per first post
dweaver-albums-pictures-my-phones-picture4541-sennie8right-w-flash.jpg

another angle of top of IEM to show lettering
dweaver-albums-pictures-my-phones-picture4543-sennie8top.jpg

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #299 of 1,210
dweaver, im suspecting yours is a fake cause the line surrounding senn logo is thick. that is exactly what both my fakes show. any1 to correct me in this? my experience with fake sound: it sounded pretty fine at first but as it gets more and more 'burn out', the sound becomes worse.

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #300 of 1,210
Here is another angle of the top, I think we also have a difference in quality of camera's happening here. BTW these are definitely used not new, so I was expecting them to be at least partially burned in. Oh by the way I found the salt pad in the the bag of goodies BTW so I definitely have every accessory they are supposed to come with. I have added it's picture as well.

Can someone who knows for sure they have the real deal please measure the connector of the IEM, I am getting a length from where the connector joins the iem to end of the connector of 14mm as measured from the top side. The line going across the IEM body is exactly 16mm on mine as well.

dweaver-albums-pictures-my-phones-picture4545-sennie8top2.jpg

dweaver-albums-pictures-my-phones-picture4544-salt.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back