WARNING: Fake IE8s! Comparison pictures included!!
Dec 27, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #166 of 1,210
Actually it's hard to tell if the R and L are angled or not from those pics. And I thought I read that the red means they're real, not fake.

Take a picture of the right earphone withe plug coming from it pointing directly at the camera.

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #168 of 1,210
Yah, the L earpiece has orange colored wire while the R earpiece has a red-colored wire. But the box is really stressing me out.

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #170 of 1,210
I've added an edit to my first picture to show where the barcode starts.

On the real IE8 box, the barcode starts AFTER the "R" in Sennheiser (or right when the R is about to end). On the fake IE8 box, the barcode starts when the "R" BEGINS in the word Sennheiser.

Here is the picture (it's also been inserted in my original post):

packagingbarcode.jpg

EDIT: Apparently some genuine IE8s have the barcode starting at the "R". In this case, the barcode positioning just changes based on manufacturing dates/changes.

So I would not consider the barcode as a giveaway of fake IE8s.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #174 of 1,210
Then perhaps the barcode does not give it away, and it is just manufacturer changes/variance over time.

I will note that in my original post.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #176 of 1,210
Well if you're going to buy off ebay, 2 things i ALWAYS look for, the number of sales and the positive feedback percentage. i NEVER buy from any seller less than 99%.

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #177 of 1,210
I found this on ebay, and from what I see on the photo of the box, the barcode starts in the right place.
The title also says genuine, which means you could get your money back if they weren't.
However, the pictures at the end show fake IE8s, and although they don't seem to be the ones in the box, I'm really confused.
The price says they are fake, but the photo of the box with the barcode says otherwise, unless I'm seeing it wrong.

Can anyone else tell the difference?

Gah, didn't see the edit.

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #179 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The barcode thing was wrong...........

It seems to vary with different manufacturing times, so yes, the barcode should not be used to determine a fake. I've noted this in the original post through an edit.

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #180 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidVictory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems to vary with different manufacturing times, so yes, the barcode should not be used to determine a fake. I've noted this in the original post through an edit.

I know you did, I however don't think the poster above me noticed your updates, ! I was most certainly not pointing a finger at you, it was just a short answer. I applaud your effort here. Sadly I don't think many will know if they have a fake till they have it in their hands. I have no faith that sennheiser can slow this down whatsoever. We at the headfi and other forums will be all the help there is. lol....I still see people whining on ebay when their 2 dollar purchase of the sony mdr ex700 is fake. I ordered one just for grins, and find it funny that sony still has two customer images on their site, of fakes. (ex700)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back