WARNING: Fake IE8s! Comparison pictures included!!
Sep 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #1,141 of 1,210
  I just looked trough the buyer's rating on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Sennheiser-IE8i-HiFi-Earphones-headphones-/161098300170?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258234fb0a

Everyone left a positive evaluation. Maybe they are really OEMs? There was a guy who bought it for like 40$. Can't believe that Sennheiser has such a profit on each and every quality product.

I have seen sellers with perfect feedback. Then I came along and bought one. Within a week, his listings were removed and replaced with ones that specifically stated it was generic and the price of the item was reduced by 75%. I got a full refund and kept the item. The seller's feedback was no longer 100% positive either.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #1,145 of 1,210
Thank you for the warning, your close observations, and detailed photos. I have to wonder how many people dislike a particular brand due to counterfeiting.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #1,146 of 1,210
  Thank you for the warning, your close observations, and detailed photos. I have to wonder how many people dislike a particular brand due to counterfeiting.

Oh contraire Cirric.... 

Perhaps it indicates the popularity and likability of the Sennheiser brand which is why it is counterfeited so rampantly by the Chinese. This is why I stuck to my guns and made sure I bought GENUINE IE8's, and then IE80's, instead of falling into the 'pay less, get-a-fake' trap. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #1,147 of 1,210
My headphone of choice has been Sennheiser since the early '70s. I was simply pointing out that folks who may have purchased counterfeit earbuds and were dis-satisfied with them might form a different opinion on their sound or quality. Long live the original Sennheisers! 

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #1,149 of 1,210
I know this thread is quite old -- but it's still the first thing that pops up on google when you search for fake sennheiser ie8 comparisons. As thus, if you guys can help me determine whether these are fake or real (leaning towards fake now though. Oh the paranoia), it would be very much appreciated! Also, I got these as a gift, so I can't very well ask him about the price and where he got it. That's would just be rude :D

Also, unfortunately there are no pictures of the foam and salt shaker. I ripped the foams out because it's just plain inconvenient and wouldn't fit the triple flanges I'm planning to get, and I threw away the salt shaker because, well, I thought it was one of those useless silica gel bags. Moving on.

Here is the album: http://imgur.com/a/O03ee

I've never touched a real ie8, so I wouldn't know this -- but they do look close to the original comparison pics. Very good quality fakes, perhaps?

The cable itself is very soft, very pliable. Not prone to tangling, from what I've observed. I think I'm imagining things, but there is a small, red cable on the right one. Not very evident without some serious lighting acrobatics. Something distinctly green on the left one.

The sound itself is very nice. The soundstage is utterly, utterly wide, almost 3D. Base is great, however it can be overpowering, clouding the mids. Treble is very good though, especially acoustic guitar. Female vocals sound somewhat harsh. Maybe around 10 hours of burn in now?

Any help to ease the pain would be greatly appreciated :)

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #1,150 of 1,210
maragi,

I see the disc in the back of the drawer, but is there a corresponding metallic plate inside the case so you hear a 'click' when the drawer closes? It's supposed to be a magnetic latch and often the fakes omit this detail since it is mostly invisible. If the drawer does have this magnetic latch then I vote 'real'.

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #1,151 of 1,210
Yes; I hear a very satisfying click, as well as trying to shake it lose with only the bottom drawer attached, but it's quite firmly lodged.

Are the fake ones supposed to just slide in smoothly without any sound whatsoever?

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #1,152 of 1,210
  Yes; I hear a very satisfying click, as well as trying to shake it lose with only the bottom drawer attached, but it's quite firmly lodged.

Are the fake ones supposed to just slide in smoothly without any sound whatsoever?

Look at the language sections on the box, does one of them only have 5 whereas the rest of them have 6?

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #1,153 of 1,210

Do you see a square silver metallic plate inside the back of the case? This is what the silver disc in the drawer 'clicks' to, it's magnetic. Fake makers usually don't incorporate this extra detail that the real Sennheiser cases have.

No the drawer doesn't slide particularly easy....it certainly won't just slide-out/fall-out accidentally. The foam piece usually rubs a bit which restricts the drawer from being really loose. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #1,154 of 1,210

Do you see a square silver metallic plate inside the back of the case? This is what the silver disc in the drawer 'clicks' to, it's magnetic. Fake makers usually don't incorporate this extra detail that the real Sennheiser cases have.

No the drawer doesn't slide particularly easy....it certainly won't just slide-out/fall-out accidentally. The foam piece usually rubs a bit which restricts the drawer from being really loose. 

The fakes have this too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back