WARNING - Dual Disc - Why You Should NOT Risk Buying Them!!!
Apr 27, 2005 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
Both here at Head-Fi, and various places around the net, I had heard the various reasons why the new Dual Disc cd/dvd format was a terrible idea, with many issues, and, until now, I had purposely avoided having anything to do with them.
As noted in another post, I was in a real dilemma about what to do concerning Bruce Springsteen's new cd "Devils & Dust since it is only being released in that format. Obviously, if I wanted the new Bruce cd, which, as a huge Bruce fan, I obviously did, I had to give in and purchase a Dual Disc.
Having read closely about the discs damaging car cd units, the poorer sound quality, etc. etc. etc. I really wanted nothing to do with these and had hoped to forever avoid them. But, especially having seen the Boss live last night playing most of the new cd, I finally gave in and purchased it at Best Buy on my way home from work tonight.
I came home, sat down earlier to listen to the album on my headphone system and had nothing but problems. In fact, I cant even tell you whats its like since my cd player has never even been able to finish playing it!
I started the cd, and everything was fine, for the first four songs. I got a call on my phone while listening to cut 5, answered a few questions froma friend, and went back to listening, or at least I tried to. I used the track skip/access control on my Sony C555ES (with the full SACD MODS "Hot Rod treatment) to return to the beginning of the song, and the cdp was unable to restart the track. It continued trying to locate the track, making unending noises as the laser assembly atttempted to lock on, but couldnt, even though I waited for several minutes. I tried pausing, and retrying to no avail. I then opened the transport, started over again, and it would play the disc beginning with track one, if uninterupted, but any attempt to change tracks resulted in the same problems.
At one point, it so completely confused the cd player that it refused to even open up, since it couldnt locate the cd it was searching for, and only by power failing it twice could I actually even make it usable again!
Since I was not willing to re-listen to the entire cd from the beginning just to get back to track five, I cant even say what tracks 6-12 are like. I tried repeatedly to use instant access to start the track, and everythign else, with zero success. I also tried the disc in two other quality cdp's that I own with the same results. It will play through, without a problem if uninterrupted from beginning to end but if you try to repeat or restart ANY track excepting the first one, or change the order of a track, forget it, you get nothing at all except your cd continuously hunting for a track beginning it cant find.
I returned the disc to Best Buy just before they closed, and the manager mentioned they have had numerous problems with Dual Discs, including several cars whose slot loading cd units were damaged by them, and have also had quite a few other returns. I took home another, exchanged, copy of the album hoping the first might be defective only to find the exact same thing.
My modded Sony 555ES is a superb player, and has NEVER, I repeat, NEVER experienced a problem with ANY normal cd, original or CDR. And its played thousands. If it, and my other cdp's cant play Dual Discs then you and your player(s) are at risk!
I can hardly find the words to tell you how disgusted I am. If only Bruce knew what they've done to his music, and that of anyone released in this format!

JC

Apr 27, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 54
Try copying the CD side to a CD-R - or - listen to the DVD side in a dvd player. The whole point of dualdiscs from my perspective is a way to sneak high res music out to the masses. Sony missed the point entirely with this though (they call advanced res: 48khz 16bit) and should not have even bothered with dualdiscs. Don't boycott dualdiscs guys, just don't buy the sony ones - they're crap!

Anyway good luck

Apr 27, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 54
Quote:

As noted in another post, I was in a real dilemma about what to do concerning Bruce Springsteen's new cd "Devils & Dust since it is only being released in that format. Obviously, if I wanted the new Bruce cd, which, as a huge Bruce fan, I obviously did, I had to give in and purchase a Dual Disc.

Actually, you can buy it as a CD/DVD package as well, but not for under $10, and not at the local department store
smily_headphones1.gif

I posted a link a few days ago in the Dire Straits SACD thread where you can get it for $16.95 postpaid if you want to avoid supporting the DD format. It's only at US stores where they're pushing it.

Apr 27, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 54
The market research that pushed development of dual disc probably indicated:

1) going forward most people will play music in (5 speaker) home theater system vs dedicated stereo system.
2)that the DVD side would be preferred for audio playback, 5 channel sound, and video content
3)CD side was included to cover any existing home CD system, car audio system, portable CDP etc.

Now we have some new album releases only offered in dual disc which in theory if everything worked and cost was comparable to old CDs would be a good thing......but seems to be some compatability problems in some systems.

Anyone else have the new Springsteen DD encounter problems?

Apr 27, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbamc119
Sony missed the point entirely with this though (they call advanced res: 48khz 16bit) and should not have even bothered with dualdiscs.

They didn't really miss the point, they just didn't want to made DVD-A discs when they have/had SACD -- that would be some sort of horrible concession (oh, the horror!!). Like the poster below me mentioned, "politics."

Like you though, I'd rather they made hybrid SACDs or yeah just not bothered at all.

***side-jack***

As a test, I'm going to see if I can easily make a backup (of a different DualDisc album) to take in the car so as to not mess up my new deck -- I'll let you all know how/if it worked.

edit:

Actually heard the drive have to re-sync or realign while reading. Wow. Never heard that before --- but then again I'm never here in the room while extracting, so for all I know that happens a lot (hope not, haha).

Lots more realigning towards the end of the disc. The "error correction" lights even came up (using EAC), but no errors popped up at the end of extraction, not even the error I normally get at the end of ripping most new discs. Cool.

Burning, no prob.

Playing: fine, right now.

And I guess this whole post was a side-jack. Sorry.
eggosmile.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 54
Not to get into the politics of the Dual Disc issue, I will say I did not have a problem playing Devils & Dust on my CD player, which is several years old, nor did I have a problem ripping the CD to my IRiver using my notebook. As for the sound, I can't complain about that either. However, it is thicker than a normal CD so I'm not about to try it on our automobile multi-changer CD player since a normal CD barely fits the input slot.

Apr 27, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 54
My copy of Devils & Dust is waiting for me in Florida. Let's see, who could the devil in me present it to as a gift, to turn thier CD player into dust?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'll try in on my $80 Toshiba "break in" CD player first and see what happens. If it works there, I'll try it on my Shanling T200, which is a top loader. I suspect that the main thing to worry about is damaging the transport mechanism, and this shouldn't happen if there is no chance of the CD getting "stuck" in the player. Or am I missing something?

Apr 27, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #12 of 54
All of the "horror stories" regarding DualDisc were enough to make me preorder "Devils And Dust" on vinyl. Backstreets.com just charged my credit card, so I should be receiving the lp in about 2 days. I can't wait.

DualDisc is a really terrible idea. I was too fond of Direct Stream Digital, but I would much rather have that and SACD as opposed to DualDisc.

Apr 27, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #13 of 54
I'm not sold at all on Dual Disc and had problems with the first one i bought, but since I am a big bruce fan , i bought his new one.

It wont play in my Jeep factory CD player, spins in and then rejects it.

It locks up my Rotel CD player on my main system, so much so that I had to unplug it and manually pry open the tray.

It does play on my sony dvd player (both sides)

I was able to successfully copy the cd audio side and now play the copy in the jeep and the rotel.

This will definitely be something I will avoid if possible in the future

Apr 27, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #14 of 54
Local Best Buy has new Springsteen for $11.99........those that have it what do they give you extra on the video side besides audio tracks?

Just for test made CDR copy of NIN Downward Spiral dual disc CD side and no problems, this is on Interscope label.

I mentioned in other thread depending which DVD player I use for NIN the menus/background are either constant or changing while playing music on DVD side which is a bit annoying.......obviously supposed to be changing.

Apr 27, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Local Best Buy has new Springsteen for $11.99........those that have it what do they give you extra on the video side besides audio tracks?

Just for test made CDR copy of NIN Downward Spiral dual disc and no problems, this is on Interscope label.

CC has it for $9.99

5.1 audio version of the album, 3 acoustic bonus tracks, a couple of videos. Nothing I would go out of my way for and the 5.1 mix sounds odd to my ears. It sounds like he's playing somewhere away from me while the Cd audio side sounds much more intimate. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back