WARNING! Buy Phillips Headphones AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
Oct 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Tenchi211

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

I just wanted to let anyone who owns Phillips Fidelio L1 headphones that since there are no immediate replaceable parts, you will be stuck IF or WHEN the leather like material that is stitched over the foam ear cups starts to separate. There is no way to easily replace the material, and Phillips will not do anything when the one year warranty expires. I bought my pair in July, 2012, and of course my warranty period is up. But the fact  that I can't even get a replacement ear cup or have them repaired at my own expense makes me very upset. I guess I will stick with a TRUE audio company like Sennheiser or AKG or one of those brands. I just figure that a quality pair of headphones should be supported by the company that sells them. No more Phillips headphones for me. I'm done. I have treated these headphones with kid gloves and have been extremely careful in handling them, and this is what I get for my $300 spent: a "sorry, nothing I can do for you" from a Supervisor names Rusty from Phillips Support. I wish I would have waited a month or two more and purchased the Sennheiser Momentum. Lesson learned, the hard way.

Oct 26, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 24
  Hello All,

I just wanted to let anyone who owns Phillips Fidelio L1 headphones that since there are no immediate replaceable parts, you will be stuck IF or WHEN the leather like material that is stitched over the foam ear cups starts to separate. There is no way to easily replace the material, and Phillips will not do anything when the one year warranty expires. I bought my pair in July, 2012, and of course my warranty period is up. But the fact  that I can't even get a replacement ear cup or have them repaired at my own expense makes me very upset. I guess I will stick with a TRUE audio company like Sennheiser or AKG or one of those brands. I just figure that a quality pair of headphones should be supported by the company that sells them. No more Phillips headphones for me. I'm done. I have treated these headphones with kid gloves and have been extremely careful in handling them, and this is what I get for my $300 spent: a "sorry, nothing I can do for you" from a Supervisor names Rusty from Phillips Support. I wish I would have waited a month or two more and purchased the Sennheiser Momentum. Lesson learned, the hard way.

Philips has been like that since way back. Their customer support is beyond terrible. The only time when they will ever help you is if your entire headphone malfunctions and must be replaced with a brand new one. But the warranty doesn't cover wearable parts, nor do they ever have replacement parts in stock. A lot of times Philips doesn't even know the different models of the headphones they are selling. I had a lot of trouble with the Citiscape Uptowns.

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 24
It's my fault for not waiting a few months to get the Momentums. I will be saving up to get a pair though. At this point, I will try to use some glue or perhaps a small piece of tape to try to hold the seam together. Appreciate the info, viralcow. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 24
I agree. I wasn't even able to have the ear cup replaced. I was told that the only thing they could do was offer a replacement if it was still within the warranty period, but of course, the right ear cup material decided to come un stitched a few months AFTER my warranty expired. Ah, well...I just have to be extremely careful. I used a piece of tape to try to keep the two pieces of material together, but I don't know how well it will continue to work.

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 24
Sorry to hear that... but it's nice to see another head-fier who's from the bronx! ^^

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 24
My Citiscape Uptowns show the same exact problem.  I haven't even worn them that much, either. I'll try superglue to fix it, but I think Philips headphones have a consistent manufacturing defect of this type.  

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 24
Looks like the earpads came undone. Are they removable to begin with? Since it seems some of their models have non-removable pads.

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 24
  Thanks gunner! Raised in the Mott Haven section...15 minutes away from my beloved Bronx Bombers
biggrin.gif

South bronx eh? I live in Parkchester when am back at home for vacation or the weekends :D

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 24
Yeah, I bought the X1, sounded pretty good, but I ended up returning them because of non-user replaceable ear pads.  Perhaps if the cans were around $100, but at >$200, it makes me wonder if it is a bit of built in obsolescence as I doubt the designers are idiots.  Definitely, not user friendly.  Good thing Philips is not the only game in town and it is easy to find really good sounding cans with user replaceable pads.

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #14 of 24
Agreed. My next pair of headphones will most likely be Sennheiser Momentum. I've enjoyed my HD-580s which I still use for my home set up, and the fact that I can still find user replaceable parts for them is a plus! Heck, I can still find parts for my Koss Porta Pros too. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoy the sound of the L1, but spending that much or more on a pair of cans that don't have user replaceable parts is not what I want to ever do again. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back