Warning against buying Gateway DMP-X20 or other Gateway products
Feb 12, 2004 at 10:41 AM Post #16 of 25
heh, i've bought stuff from places with a "no quibble" return policy before, and when opening the item finding it was defective in some way, taking it back the next day, i've had to quibble lots.

i got thrown out of dixons once for arguing with the manager becuase him and his stupid stuff claimed i broke something myself. which i didn't
*proud*

p.s. i got my money back in the end

Feb 12, 2004 at 10:47 AM Post #17 of 25
Hmmm... I've had no problems when I've had a quibble with a no quibble
biggrin.gif

In addition to my last post, it was also the arrestingly titled thread. austonia had a problem with returning one product. I couldn't particularly accuse austonia of bad judgement but I could accuse him of being a drama queen...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 11:40 AM Post #19 of 25
I wasn't in any significant way under it to begin with... To me it's irrelevant who posted this thread. Having spotted it, I would have made the same reply with the same information at hand.

I suppose it's a case of what the problem is about... whether I made that post or whether it was because I said it was faintly unethical to use the money back guarantee that way. If the latter, I've explained where I stand. If the former, that's not my problem.

edit: Er OK. [pout]Be like that then. [/pout]

Feb 12, 2004 at 2:39 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
Some internet vendors charge restocking fees (like Newegg.com) but others do not (Amazon.com).

Amazon does charge 15% restocking. At least they did for the hand held GPS I returned after Christmas.

Feb 12, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by utdeep
austonia,
I don't know when you became such a jerk, but I've put you on my ban list as of this moment.

You mean you've put him on your 'ignore' list?
evil_smiley.gif

That said, the local Best Buy superstores around here in the Chicago area have a 30-day return policy on most items - but only a 14-day return policy on computer systems (desktop and notebook) and certain other items, such as cellular (mobile) phones. And restocking charges may apply, again depending on the item being returned.

Feb 12, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

i don't know where you live man since it's not in your profile, but in the U.S., that is how it works at major retailers. I can buy something at Best Buy, Circuit City, Wallmart, Target, etc.. take it home, try it out, and if I don't like it, I can return it for a full refund within a specified time period (usually 15 to 30 days). Assuming it is in like-new condition and all parts are included.

edit: I've returned products to these stores in the past, so I don't see the argument against it. They offer money-back policies on most items (excluding CD's, software, etc). I'm sure some mom-n-pop shops charge restocking fees, but, like most people here, I shop at the big stores because they offer better prices and better return policies. Some internet vendors charge restocking fees (like Newegg.com) but others do not (Amazon.com). Anyway, I was told at the Gateway store that they had a money-back policy so I expected it to be the same as all the others and that is not the case.

Best Buy charges a restocking fee, Wal-Mart gives you store credit, not sure on Target but im think they give you credit, Circuit city is one of the few retailers that does this. I live in WA state BTW, and I'm talking about retailers.

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

i don't know where you live man since it's not in your profile, but in the U.S., that is how it works at major retailers. I can buy something at Best Buy, Circuit City, Wallmart, Target, etc.. take it home, try it out, and if I don't like it, I can return it for a full refund within a specified time period (usually 15 to 30 days). Assuming it is in like-new condition and all parts are included.

actually, using BB as an example, there are items that involve restocking fees (things like digital cameras/laptops/video cams etc) mostly stuff i imagine someone might buy for a trip and expect to return later.

DAP's are not on that list though.

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #24 of 25
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit: I've returned products to these stores in the past, so I don't see the argument against it. They offer money-back policies on most items (excluding CD's, software, etc). I'm sure some mom-n-pop shops charge restocking fees, but, like most people here, I shop at the big stores because they offer better prices and better return policies. Some internet vendors charge restocking fees (like Newegg.com) but others do not (Amazon.com). Anyway, I was told at the Gateway store that they had a money-back policy so I expected it to be the same as all the others and that is not the case.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Guys, I just purchased a G3 20GB Ipod from Compusa three weeks ago. I was considering taking it back until I read the fine print on the back of my reciept and it stated that there would 15% restocking fee for returning a non-defective product. I guess I am keeping it now because I not going to take a $60+ hit in my refund. It's a good thing that I decided to keep it because I am really injoying it. If you are having a problem with getting a response from Gateway for the balance of your return just keep on calling them everyday and take names. They will eventually settle with you just stop hearing from you. Good Luck!

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #25 of 25
Bottom line: most (if not almost all) retailers will charge a restocking fee and return shipping for non-defective usable items. Dell's policy is no different than Gateway's. And, Amazon seems to be more secrective than these two.

I can't support Gateway's lack of crediting your refund or lack of response. But, I've had very good luck with Gateway for the last 15 or so years.

And, I've had very poor luck or help with Dell. Bought an Axim last year. It took me seven months and six units before I got one that worked "reasonably" well. The D-pad doesn't work properly. But, it's easier to live with this than spend hours and hours trying to get a properly working unit from Dell. That experience, plus Dell farming out tech support to people who have difficulty with English and can do nothing more than read from a canned script, has caused me, and my business, to never buy a Dell product again.

Each to their own I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back