Warmest solid state amp?
Dec 29, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #16 of 38
Is Schiit Audio stuff (Jotunheim, Asgard) warm? Or just neutral like everything else
Magnius is definitely neutral and detailed. Works best with balanced inputs and balanced headphone outputs. I have seen others describe the Jotunheim as slightly warm.

The hybrid Schiit Lyr+ (tube pre-amp and solid state amp) is (as you would expect) slightly warm, but can be tuned by selecting from various tube manufacturers (only one tube required). The Lyr+ can also be run in 100% solid state mode.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #17 of 38
I'm a total Schiithead. Recently i bought the Vali 2++ and now have a new old stock RCA Command 5670 tube in it and my Asgard 3 hasn't been turned on since. Plenty of power for my Sennheiser HD600 headphones and my Focal Clears have never sounded better. Best $$$ that I've spent in this hobby in years.

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #18 of 38
Are the solid state Schiits like the Asgard 3 and Jotunheim obviously warmer than something like a THX or NFCA Topping amp - or do you have to really A/B them within milliseconds and listening to a specific micro detail of a certain test track to discern any difference?

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #19 of 38
Are the solid state Schiits like the Asgard 3 and Jotunheim obviously warmer than something like a THX or NFCA Topping amp - or do you have to really A/B them within milliseconds and listening to a specific micro detail of a certain test track to discern any difference?
I have the Drop THX789 and comparing it to the Asgard 3 is apples to oranges. I've read posts from Jot users that suggested saving your money and buy the Asgard if you use SE and not balanced. I've never heard the Jot so I cannot comment.

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #20 of 38
I saw that Jason Stoddard (co-founder of Schiit) said that the Jotunheim is a little bit softer and less detailed than some of the other Schiit amps, so I assume you can hear the difference. Jason said he prefers the Jotunheim, but most others in his company prefer the more neutral ones.

I think the term "warm" is a little confusing, because some people associate that with a slight bump in the mid-bass frequency response and/or less bright on the top end, while others associate it an amp that less revealing of details or with tube-like distortion, frequency response notwithstanding.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #21 of 38
I think that the Asgard 3 is a neutral amp and doesn't really enhance your music source. I don't think that the Drop THX789 does either but the 2 amps are polar opposites. Hard for me to put words to "warm".
I like both amps. The Asgard 3 was $200 when I bought mine so for a hundred dollars more than the Magni 3 it was a no brainer!

Jan 2, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #22 of 38
I think that the Asgard 3 is a neutral amp and doesn't really enhance your music source. I don't think that the Drop THX789 does either but the 2 amps are polar opposites. Hard for me to put words to "warm".
I like both amps. The Asgard 3 was $200 when I bought mine so for a hundred dollars more than the Magni 3 it was a no brainer!

Sorry, I don't understand... If both Asgard 3 and THX789 are roughly neutral, how can they be polar opposites?

Anyone know where the JDS Element 3 lines up in this spectrum? More towards the Asgard 3 side or to the THX789 side?

And does anyone know when the Asgard 3 with MultiBit module built-in will be coming back (if ever)?

Jan 2, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #23 of 38
I'm planning to get a warm solid state class A amp to complement something like a Topping DX5 (which is very clinical and neutral).

I want the difference between the two units to be obvious. Not like you have to squint and convince yourself it's there, or a change only evident when paying attention to a miniscule detail and A/B'ing the units within seconds - I want it to be obviously warmer sounding than the Topping unit...

Is there such a thing out there? Preferably with power to drive almost any headphone? And preferably a DAC/amp combo...?

I'm not going to go down the tube path because of how finicky and delicate they are - but I essentially want as tube-like a sound as a solid state unit can possibly get?
What's the price? If $1500 for Wells Milo lvl 1. If you are looking at holographic sound you are spending more and going tube. I using Hifiman ef4 and I like it very much. It has a tube quality to it. I couldn't resist.
You could always buy one of these.
PXL_20220128_231205707~2.jpg

I mean two of them. I don't own them anymore but one day I'LL HAVE THEM 😜

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #24 of 38
Another option might be a hybrid tube amp. I have a Well Dragon hybrid amp that works well with iem’s and maintains a excellent warm sound.

Jan 3, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #25 of 38
Then, there is Monolith (Cavalli) Liquid Platinum hybrid VT/SS - with added external linear power supply and NOS Mullard E88CC tubes (excellent!): all for under $900 when the LP is on sale.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #26 of 38
Another option might be a hybrid tube amp. I have a Well Dragon hybrid amp that works well with iem’s and maintains a excellent warm sound.
Another option is the Schiit Lyr+, which can operate in hybrid mode with a tube pre-amp section, or 100% solid state mode. But it only has single-ended input and outputs.

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #28 of 38
My current, and favourite amp: V222, but anything from Violectric will do :)
Edit: From the V2xx lineup, it seems that v5xx is brighter.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #29 of 38
My current, and favourite amp: V222, but anything from Violectric will do :)
I agree with FinHifi. I've had multiple solid state amps (SMSL SP200, Schiit Asgard, Singxer SA-1, Burson Soloist 3XP) and tube amps (Feliks Echo, Eddie Current ZDT Jr) and my favourite one of all has been the Violectric V222. I can't recommend it strongly enough if you want both warmth and clarity. And it costs less than other amps which go for a similar balance (GSX Mini, Ferrum Oor), but I haven't listened to those so I can't comment on anything other than the price.

I found the SP200 and SA-1 to be dry and sharp. Asgard was warm but too muddled. Soloist was an improvement over the SA-1 but I think it still falls into that THX/measurements camp. Just my opinion though, everyone's ears and preferences are different. But for what it's worth: two reviewers I respect highly (WaveTheory and MidfiGuy) both love Violectric amps the most, and I can see why.

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #30 of 38
The ‘best’ (to me) warmest solid-state headphone amplifiers are: Violectric HPA V281 and Pass Labs HPA-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back