Warm-up ears and "Audiophile Body" disease
Aug 7, 2005 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Patrick82

Banned
Day 1: Connected 'PS Audio High Current Ultimate Outlet' between wall and Power Plant, it made noise floor lower. Surprisingly listened to music 8 hours straight with no fatigue!! Sounded very good!

Day 2: Put on music, sounded HORRIBLE, transparency was all gone, I thought someone had been tampering with my audio rig! I let the equipment warm-up 2 hours with music running and left the room, came back and still sounded very bad! I wondered what kind of placebo I had yesterday when it sounded so good.

Day 3: Wake up and immediately turn on music 4AM in morning, sounds HORRIBLE
confused.gif
. But this time I left music playing while playing chess on the computer, I didn't focus on the music. 2 hours later, OMG this sounds almost as good as Day 1 !!! 6 hours later (after playing more chess), I took a 30 minute break, and when I came back it still sounded good. 2 hours later and it sounds as good as Day 1, it was not a placebo!! This is after 7+ hours of total warm-up!

Does music sound better when you don't focus hard on it? My state of mind is different after many hours of listening, more relaxed. It feels like I don't focus on the music but still hear everything in the music, it is almost like I am part of the music.

Audiophile disease

Since I started listening to music many hours per day my body has got VERY WEAK, the music makes me more relaxed when sitting in my chair. When I am in the kitchen or someplace else I keep dropping things and it often feels like my body will fall to the floor, not because I am not strong enough, but because I don't want to use the effort needed. I just want to sit back in my chair and listen to more music, I am addicted. Is this an audiophile disease? Looks like I have developed an "Audiophile Body"
icon10.gif
. This is a problem since you can't cut back on listening because you need to warm-up many hours!

Aug 7, 2005 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 16
ah ah ah
eh eh eh

mumble ... mm ..

rolleyes.gif
don't know what to say in concrete , because I understand what you mean .. it's kind of a personal philosophy what one intend music to do to his body/brain other then joy
icon10.gif

my "solution" to audiohiple disease would be (/is) doing other nice things in life , and breathing some air now and them between music sessions is very good.. alterning music with other things works well ..

..music as a drug does not work well on the long in my body .. it get me bit sick ..

..anyhow since you describe the music as horrible sometimes , it might be the system you have has some anti-synergy with your particular ears and differs maybe too much from the way you hear everyday reality ..supposition.. you might need some tailoring then - I have gone ( and going still ) through that , my aim is to get on music and have music on ears as anything real around me before putting cans on , and be the less bothered i can by gears ..

Me too , I found sometimes things that got me addicted or raised my awe for a particular presentation , but also - in the end - the same things got me kind of stressed period ( for ex. a super wide un-natural stage , since you have k1000 ... awe on first , unnatural on period )..

Quote:

Does music sound better when you don't focus hard on it?

..for me , yes..

Quote:

My state of mind is different after many hours of listening, more relaxed. It feels like I don't focus on the music but still hear everything in the music, it is almost like I am part of the music.

I tend to let come in this state itself , without searching for it .. it's quite welcome , but I don't mind I don'ìt notice , and I really enjoy a listening that is as normal as it can be ..
team " as natural as it can be " ..bar " team synergy " when team natural is not available ..; it may be you have to find better synergies..

Aug 7, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
don't know what to say in concrete

I wouldn't say a lot in concrete Boodi just in case it sets hard when I'm in there
tongue.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 16
I really don't need any warm up, it's all good baby. It's very seldom that I hear any large variations in the sound quality of my systems, although there are times when I might be able to enjoy them more than others. I really don't perceive the difference as being in the gear, it alway seems to come through loud and clear as the mood.

Aug 7, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 16
The only time music sounds significantly better on my system is when I'm on drugs* or when I'm lying in bed late at night about to fall off to sleep. Music sounds good at all times and it's always fun to listen to, I'm in the groove and all is good. No warmup or rituals required. Chill to music, do everyday stuff at the same time, no problem.

*[size=xx-small]100% legal drugs of course[/size]

Aug 8, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 16
i think its should be agreeable that music sound differently at different time of the day or different health condition, awake state, what drugs you're on, etc.

yes sometimes i am amaze with my system other time it sounded like crap and i thought why i'd spend so much money on it.

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 16
Ok, it makes more sense now, for it to sound optimal I need to get used to the headphones and the unnatural sound they provide. I noticed after I removed my K1000 real life sounded a bit weird, so I wanted to put back my earspeakers.
k1000smile.gif

Day 4: 3.45 AM. Not as horrible as yesterday but still a bit unacceptable. Seems that the 8 hour warm-up carried into the next day. This has happened to me many times in another sport (pocket billiards).

When thinking about it, audiophilia is just like other sports. There is practice, warm-up, and the "Zone" where everything goes automatic and you are part of the music. Like in billiards, the cuestick became a part of my arm after I played 7 hours when I was a beginner! But now I only need 5-10 minutes of warm-up until I can play good enough to make all shots, but I have never been in the "Zone" since I was a beginner! Seems that 7 hours is the magic number for me in all sports.

Aug 8, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #10 of 16
Yes, I've had experience with my rig (not my current rig though
evil_smiley.gif
) sounding wonderful one day and lackluster the next. I honestly think this fluctuation has more to do with me - ie my mental/physical state and my perception of sound - than my rig.

I enjoy music more when I'm well rested. Also, it helps if I do some exercise during the week. Can't prove it, but I also believe getting outside, eating a balanced diet, and interacting with others (even though none of the above comes naturally to me) in healthy proportions throughout the week also contributes positively to the quality of my audio time. All things in balance, man!

Finally, I think we all have our days where things sound "off", but rigs that synergize better with my tastes give me a much, much higher percentage of quality listening days (plus, when it's good it's really good). That's why it's hard for me to judge a rig based on a single listen - listening over the course of a week or two is a much better indicator. If a rig does not excite me the majority of the time I listen to it, then I'll be looking to upgrade (or sidegrade) very soon.

That said, personally I find that "warm-up" factors very little into the overall equation compared to the above.

Aug 8, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 16
i have a solid state everything and dynamic cans, so i fire it up and i'm off. but i do keep the solo on all the time just to keep it on standby...

Aug 8, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #12 of 16
Best time for time is at night, with a 30 min. warmup.

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #13 of 16
One hour is what it takes for me to start realizing the sound I am hearing to my fullest capacity. Though, sometimes, with very good recordings, I am warmed up after about five minutes.

This "weakness" thing, however, is something strange to me. Sounds like you need some exercise is all
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #14 of 16
I do hear variations in my system, or at least there are variations in my subjective appreciation of my system. One objective factor that I believe can contribute to this is that the quality of power delivered to your wall socket from the local grid varies depending on usage conditions. (Yes, power is a very big deal in audio – not something I would have believed before I heard it.) My system seems to sound better later at night, for instance. But subjective factors are also a big (bigger?) issue. Sometimes my brain and body grove, and sometimes they don't. I would be careful of trying to overcome biorhythms with yet another new upgrade or expensive tweak. Enjoy music when you can, when you can't, do something else.

Aug 9, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #15 of 16
I definitely hear my system continue to warm up, the longer I leave it on. But I'm not always leaving it on, for a variety of reasons (waste, etc.). But I guess the point of diminishing returns is about an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back