warm sounding vs. dark sounding?
Aug 17, 2002 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
Can some one break this down for me?

Thanks,

Biggie.

Aug 17, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 32
ok
biggrin.gif

Dark = A warm, mellow, excessively rich quality in reproduced sound. The audible effect of a frequency response which is clockwise-tilted across the entire range, so that output diminishes with increasing frequency.

Warm = The same as dark, but less tilted. A certain amount of warmth is a normal part of musical sound.

I got these from here : http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?50

Aug 17, 2002 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 32
This is how I understand it:

Warm: Slightly accentuated mids and midbass and slightly rolled off highs.

Dark: Distant mids, somewhat muddled midbass and distant, possibly rolled off highs.

Aug 17, 2002 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 32
For me warm sound is mainly defined by smooth mids and highs, whereas dark sound implies more or less recessed upper mids and highs.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 17, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 32
Lini: that's the way I understand it as well. While were on the issue, what does bright mean? I mean, stereophile says that it means that the music has an edge to it. The way I've seen it used, is that it has fatiguing highs and upper mids. . .

Aug 17, 2002 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 32
Thanks for confirming by beliefs guys. Ok so I think I have the sound spectrum down now, but isn't it missing one type of sound to the left of neutral?
tongue.gif

bright - <insert cool term here> - neutral - warm - dark

I like symmetry hehe.

Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
what does bright mean? I mean, stereophile says that it means that the music has an edge to it. The way I've seen it used, is that it has fatiguing highs and upper mids. . .

I think something with an edge would imply fatiguing highs and upper mids (this music has bite.. my ears hurt).

Biggie.

Aug 17, 2002 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 32
Mhm, I'd rather define bright as having moderately pronounced upper mids and highs - in exaggerated form that would be harsh or shrill for me. So that would make dark -> warm -> neutral <- bright <- shrill/harsh in my order...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / Lini

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 32
Dark to me is less detailed or sounds recessed. I don't really like this sound.
Warm is smooth sounding, treble is not as pronounced, kinda rounded sound.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #12 of 32
Some examples:

Dark sounding would be like a stand up jazz bass. Listen to the bass player on the Miles Davis Kind of Blue album

Bright sounding could be a hi hat cymbal. It may not sound bright on a recording so I recommend that you actually go to a music store and hit a hi hat cymbal. Most music stores will alllow you to test out cymbals.

Warm sounding would be like the sound of a cassette tape or perhaps the sonic tone of a Frank Sinatra song.

Of course, it’s just a generalization

Mar 6, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #13 of 32
I would just add that 'mids-forward' is another phrase used around here a fair bit to describe a certain kind of signature. I suppose it is self-explanatory and differs from 'warm' in that it doesn't involve any treble change.

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #15 of 32
Can some one break this down for me?

Thanks,

Biggie.

Yes!

Grado house sound = Bright
Sennheiser house sound = Dark

I don't think I have any warm headphones, maybe Aeons Open Flow are a good example

Users who are viewing this thread

Back