Warm-sounding solid state amps?
Mar 17, 2005 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ReDVsion

Headphoneus Supremus
I've heard of the Perreaux SXH-1 being a relatively "tubey" sounding solid state headphone amplifier, but are there any others that fit this description without actually being a tube amplifier?

And please don't tell me that I should just buy a tube headphone amplifier, I know that already
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #2 of 25
The Ray Samuels Audio HR-2, especially with the stock AD797 opamps, is something you should audition. Full-bodied, with nice harmonic bloom. Very organic sounding. Still one of my favorites.

If you can find a Meier Audio Corda PreHead MkI with the AD8610 opamps, that's definitely one to try, too. Even tough the AD8610 opamp is associated more with borderline etchy treble in some circuits (including the HR-2, to my ears), it enjoyed an entirely different character in the PreHead. Similar to the PreHead MkI with LM6171 opamps, but with more rounded edges, slightly thicker mids, and slightly softer treble. NOTE: The opamps aren't swappable in the PreHead. So whichever version you buy, that's what it is.

Mar 18, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 25
Thanks jude! Is it just the HR2 or do any of Ray's other amps have similar characteristics?

Mar 18, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 25
THe majority of ray's products all have a similar ray house sound, so to speak - fast, dynamic, punchy, but full-bodied, rich harmonic color, great sweet extension up top and a really nice midrange, sr-71 and xp-7 all sound very similar to hr-2, the major difference is the application of how you are going to use it. The HR-2 is really the benchmark ray samuels sound when it comes to headphone amps, a lot of the other amps are tuned around it

Mar 18, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 25
The Emmeline HR-2 is exactly what you are looking for. You should start reading the reviews in the amplification archives about this magical and special headphone amplifier. Right now, I'm listening to mine with the Grado SR-60 using Amy Grant's Legacy...Hymns & Faith on Red Book CD (oversampled to 176.4kHz/24bit) and it's so seductively musical. Out of all the components that have come and gone in my system, the Emmeline HR-2 has stayed the longest.

Mar 18, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #9 of 25
Haven't heard the M^3 yet but I do have a soft spot for mosfets. What you don't want (or more correctly what I don't want) is a solid state that sticks resistance on the output and has a high output impedance to sound warm(Corda amps do this but as an optional output to match international standards and not because of cheesy design). It is possible to have a nice warm sound and still be high performance (which I don't consider SS Hi-Z amps to be). I have my doubts on the perreaux having low-z output based on reviews and when it was reported that some resistors were adjusted to eliminate hiss, etc. Otherwise I could use the headphone jack in my speaker amp which is definitely high-Z, warm, colored, and relatively mud.

Digital amps *can* have tube-like characteristics with their THD profile, but there aren't much of any digital dedicated headphone amps.

Finally the Grace amp I consider ever so slightly on the warmer side of neutral.

Mar 19, 2005 at 10:23 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim D
Haven't heard the M^3 yet but I do have a soft spot for mosfets. What you don't want (or more correctly what I don't want) is a solid state that sticks resistance on the output and has a high output impedance to sound warm

Agree completely. The M³ has ultra-low output impedance (s small fraction of an ohm) and has enough oomph to drive speakers. It achieves its rich sound without compromising resolution, detail and air.

Mar 19, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 25
Yet ANOTHER vote for the Emmeline HR-2...

It fits your thread topic EXACTLY... Warm-sounding solid state!
Even for $875.00, it was the best audio purchase I have ever made.

I do not regret buying it and will buy another one if something happens to it.

Private message me and I will give you my full impressions...

BANGPOD

Mar 19, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I found the Gilmore v.1 (can't comment about the others) to be warm for a tube amp -- not as much warm as the Perreaux, but much better overall.

I owned the V1... great amp, but I don't think warm is how I'd describe it... neutral yet musical, perhaps?

I'm surprised I haven't heard more about the HR2 before, considering how people are raving about it here.

I'll have to wait to rely on the impressions of the M^3. It's just too new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back