Warm, smooth, lush IEM's?
Jan 26, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #16 of 49
thanks for all the replies folks.

at this point i've decided to check a few out. i'm defintely going with the ie8 and i was going to try another set and possibly a lower cost one to compare if the ie8 is worth the extra money for me.

i was pretty set on the shure 530 but i have just read so many times about cable issues that i am honestly scared off in that regard. i was also thinking shure 310 but again the cable issue scared me away. i'm always skeptical about "issues" and the internet but it really seems like this is a legitimate problem with the shures. this is too bad since i have a feeling i would really like them. i just can't see spending that money and potentially having cable issues which can not be rectified on your own. am i crazy?

i'm now leaning towards those phonaks especially since they give you the 14 day trial. the big thread here makes me think they are brighter than the others mentioned but i think there are enough positives and the risk free trial have me thinking i will try those out for my lower priced pair.

the custom 3's were high up on my list but i can not find anywhere to buy them without return hassles (amazon says only new unopen items can be returned).

i will check out the ue5's as well.

for those who recommended the atrio's--there were two model numbers mentioned. can someone comment on which is the more lusher sounding model? i will research those as well but any other info is appreciated.

further comments and suggestions are of course welcomed and valued.

thanks again.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #17 of 49
oh i was also very seriously considering the sleek sa-6's but again cable issues coupled with the new sa-9's coming have me thinking now is not the best time to be looking at those.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #19 of 49
Sleek SA6 sounds fantastic and the cable is replaceable in case it breaks. The SQ is really great for the price and I prefer the SA6 to Shure SE530, because SA6 sounds more balanced with more sparkly highs and less mid-bass emphasis. Now, Senn IE8 is another possible option, if you have the dough. Hoewever, fit can really be a problem with the IE8s - that's the reason, why I just traded mine for Westone 3s. The sound of the IE8s is great for sure - more balanced than that of Shure SE530 and fuller than that of Sleek SA6 - but the fit is a hit-and-miss, so beware.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by gov /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for all the replies folks.

at this point i've decided to check a few out. i'm defintely going with the ie8 and i was going to try another set and possibly a lower cost one to compare if the ie8 is worth the extra money for me.

i'm now leaning towards those phonaks especially since they give you the 14 day trial. the big thread here makes me think they are brighter than the others mentioned but i think there are enough positives and the risk free trial have me thinking i will try those out for my lower priced pair.

I have the IE8s and the Phonak Audeo PFEs, the IE8s are darker! The PFEs are smoother and have better detail, but not by too much (and the IE8 isn't fully burned in yet).

I think both are excellent, have different strengths and sound sigs. The high end on the PFEs is just right to me.

I also think dfkt's chart sums it up well with the PFEs having the best treble, clarity, and value.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gov /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for those who recommended the atrio's--there were two model numbers mentioned. can someone comment on which is the more lusher sounding model? i will research those as well but any other info is appreciated.

The only difference between the Atrio M5 and M8 are the color.

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #21 of 49
thanks again for all of the suggestions folks. so here's what i'm trying:

phonaks pfe
ie8
sleek sa6

i will compare the three and keep the one that suits me best. if there is interest i will post my thoughts in another thread.

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #24 of 49
If you are considering the IE8's you may as well consider the Radius DDM's (bit surprised no one has mentioned them for warmth.) Fit and isolation may be an issue but you are looking at a great sound for a great price.

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #25 of 49
I had a pair of Ultrasone UM3X's.  I loved them until I lost them.  From what I understand they are warmer than the Westone 3's.  The thing that I have heard described and can also confirm is that they are not fatiguing, even after listening for long periods of time.

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #26 of 49
i was also looking for this sound sig and bro joker advised me to purchased either the MONSTER MILES DAVIS or the FISCHER audio SILVER BULLET...but told me to wait for the revision 2 of SB.
but really, my only aim is LUSCIOUS MIDS, very warm, and relaxing.
upfront vocals and 3d soundstage.

guess ill be byuying the MDs...or the SB.

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #27 of 49
Silver Bullets are indeed amazing they're not as good as MDs but get pretty damn close beating out (MTPC/DDM/IE7), imo of course. The bass is big (bigger than MTPCs) yet very very polite. The mids are very slightly laid back but have that amazing body ala DDM (thought slightly less) with the clarity of more analytical IEMs. With the treble, no sparkle is lost

Oct 16, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #28 of 49
ink,

which do you think is the best?

mds or the bs?

i am about to buy the mds now...
because monster is about to release a new version of MD with the control talk.
i dont know if the MILES DAVIS cds and booklet is still included, i think not.

is the SUPERTIPS that good???
i wonder????

hmmmm...

Oct 16, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #29 of 49
The MDs are better but the SBs offer some things better than the MDs. The bass extension and texture is a tad better on the MDs but the SBs get a lot closer to it than the Coppers to give an example. Mids are more forward on the MDs and have that lush feel due to a nice controlled midbass. The SBs also have a nice controlled midbass that gives the mids texture and the mids aren't as forward as the MDs, but have better resolution. The treble on the SBs wins with a better extension (does 20hz easily, even beating out Coppers) and yet manages to stay smooth/clean throughout. For soundstage I'll also give the nod to the SBs, but don't expect deep soundstage like the DDMs or IE8s. As joker wrote in his review these not also have good width, but height as well. In comparison to the MDs it still feels intimate like being in jazz concert but it's as if the concert hall itself is taller/wider rather than you being placed further apart. This gives the overall spectrum an airy feeling but yet very coherent at the same time. I'm sure this has to do with it's size and the choice of metal sure helps keeping the whole thing together in regards to resonance unlike IEMs like IE7s or DDMs.

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #30 of 49
well said inks.
thank you very much!
it seems i should opt more for the SBs than the MDs, do you think so?
if you were me, which would you choose???

oor should i wait for the version 2, to be so much better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back