Warm, lush sounding headphones
Oct 7, 2015 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Tic-Tac

100+ Head-Fier
Hello again,

I will be a lot more specific this time :)

1. I'm looking for a headphones that have lush, warm and full sound signature.
  2. Purpose : Movies, games and music (Daft Punk, The Prodigy, some various rock'n'roll bands)
  3. Looking for great sub-bass/bass and mids but not too recessed highs.
  4. Would prefer a removable NON-COILED cable
  5. Price: up to 200 euros

Really having a hard time choosing the best for my needs lol

Thanks to all!

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 31
Your price is the limitation here.  The only headphones I can think of that might fit that description are the AKG Q701 on a warm amp (Little Dot 1+?) which you might have to buy used to fit that budget.  Another is the discontinued HiFiMan HE-300 but who knows what this goes for now.

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 31
I don't have much experience here, but the HD 598 (not much sub bass unamped, but quite warm and lush) or any of the grado headphones (good for rock but cable isn't removable) should be good.

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 31
  The only headphones I can think of that might fit that description are the AKG Q701 on a warm amp (Little Dot 1+?) which you might have to buy used to fit that budget. 

That would have to be quite a warm amp since it's rare to hear "warm, lush, full" and "Q701" in the same sentence.  I've tried many times to warm mine up with eq and mods, and any headphone can be made warm if you try, but if extremes are needed it can lose the things it was good at.

I guess HD558 could fit the warm, lush description, but they're also slow and muddy.

The list kind of describes the Brainwavz HM3/Fa-004, other than a fixed cable, and sub-bass maybe could use a little help.  It's ok, but doesn't quite dig down like some headphones can.  I find the mids great though.  Sort of a lush aggressiveness.  And the highs still have a sparkle.  It's an on-ear (and closed) so probably not physically what you're looking for.

I had to laugh when I was listening to Senn HD449 the other day, they're nice in their own way, and then I switched to the HM3 and immediately thought, "Ah, that's what voices should sound like."  There's just something with the timbre.  

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 31
Not sure if this will or won't fit within your pricing (or if it is even available in Europe), but the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 is quite warm and lush, has good bass response, very nice mids, rolled-off but pleasantly extended highs, a straight cable, decent isolation, and do well enough with movies and games. Cable isn't removable, but they can't all be winners. If that doesn't do it for you, the Razer Kraken Forged is also close-ish - more rolled-off on the top-end, and more bass response, but still very-much and smooth headphone that will do very nicely with games and movies in addition to the genres you've mentioned. You might also look at the Creative Aurvana Live, if that's still available in your area, as they are warm and have a decently balanced response, but they're not going to be as lush/rich as the Kraken or the ESW9. The Koss PRO4/AA are also a potential candidate, and have a warm and rich sound, but their sound-stage isn't massive, they're relatively heavy, and have a fixed and coiled cable. Finally, the Ultrasone HFI-2400 are fairly warm and pleasant sounding, and have fantastic sound-staging (thanks to S-LOGIC), but may be over-budget (they also may be discontinued - I'm not clear on whether or not that is true though).

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 31
Thank you for that info :)

Well, I've tried a few good headphones but all of them are open-back style which doesn't suit me atm :frowning2: 

This is THE LIST of all interesting headphones that I've found : 

1. Beyerdynamic DT-770 80Ohm
  2. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro +
  3. Takstar Pro80/HyperX Cloud I/II
  4. Creative Aurvana Live!/ Live 2
  5. Sony MDR-1R/1A
  6. Audio-Technica ATH-WS99
  7. AKG K545
  8. Soundmagic HP150
  9. Philips Fidelio L1

And I think this is it. These are my choices for the most part and the more I look and investigate the more I'm confused tbh.
Personally Fidelio L1 is one of the best looking headphones that I've ever seen and definitely the most beautiful out of this list, it's semi-open, doesn't leek much sound which is great, the cable is short but I can use some quality extension cable.

AKG K545 looks like a good candidate, quality sound with more sub-bass added should be a win, of course with some good, possibly braided replace cable.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 31
Well, Yamaha MT220 is pretty close but the cable is coiled and non-detachable. Marshall Monitor may be what you're looking for, leaks almost no sound at all, very warm and smooth, the bass is awesome and very clean, NEVER distorts, no matter how loud you turn up the music.

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 31
DT150 surely? Different class to most mentioned on that list.

Meets all the criteria with plenty of change. Biggest bargain in the world of headphones £96 / €145

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 31
These DT-150 seems to be an interesting choice but they are ugly as hell :) BUT those Marshall Monitor headphones, omg how I didn't saw them earlier, damn :) It seems to me that those would be a perfect headphone for my uses and taste. :) I believe that they are waaay too underrated! I wonder if other, possibly braided cables could fit into those...

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 31
DT150 surely? Different class to most mentioned on that list.

Meets all the criteria with plenty of change. Biggest bargain in the world of headphones £96 / €145

Agreed. If you want closed DT150 is the one to get in that pricerange. Very underrated headphone.

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 31
I reckon you could get hold of the original over ear Senny Momentums for your budget.

Given your requirements they would appear to tick most of the boxes.

One caveat is that they are small for over ear headphones and people have had problems with the fitting - although I don't have a problem and I have fairly large ears.

I have a love / hate relationship with these cans as I prefer a brighter more direct presentation, by I do appreciate them for what they are, and they're especially good with electronic genres.

EDIT: If you do go for the Momentums then buy from a reputable source as there are a lot of counterfeits out there.

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #15 of 31
Well, I've tested Marshall Monitor headphones and I must say that the build quality is excellent, very high level! They sound very good but sometimes a little bit muffled, bass is extends well but sounds a bit muffled sometimes. Mids are pretty good. Highs are pretty rolled off but they sound acceptable. BUT that clamping force!!!!!!!!! THAT clamping force is too much for me, it literally hurts after 30-40mins and that is a no no for me.

So, Marshall Monitor :

Sound - Very good
Build quality - Excellent
Comfort - Bad to very bad

The hunt is still ON.... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back