Warm DAC's
Jun 4, 2007 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

XENOPHOS

100+ Head-Fier
what warm dac's are out there, preferably in the $300 and less range. i'm going to be using it with k701's and a heed so a warm source might be good.

Jun 4, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 9
CS4398 based DAC's are usually considered warm. However, I would recommend getting the warmth you need from the Amp, and going with a highly resolving DAC if possible. K701's love detail!

That's not to say the CS4398 DAC chip isn't resolving, it really is an incredible DAC chip. And in your price range, the Dah-AH, Zhalou, and MicroDAC are going to be the best options. All of which are very resolving.

Jun 4, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 9
I would like to throw out a suggestion for the MHDT Labs Constantine. I just replaced my Zhaolu with a used Constantine (just got the Constantine an hour ago) and I am absolutely floored by how good it sounds. Everything sounds more lush and warm. I didn't think I would like an NOS DAC but this thing just brings me goosebumps when listening!

I used to own the K701 and loved it. I think this DAC would have made them sound better than they already did. Just a suggestion...ymmv.

Jun 4, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 9
A NOS DAC, maybe DAC-AH with the appropriate entry level modifications.

I agree the K701 *can* be a little lean (some call it 'nimble'), but I also suggest you go for as neutral an amp as possible after getting a NOS DAC. Further warmth isn't really required, unless you like a reallly warm sound (ie. less accurate, but 'nicer').

Jun 5, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by XENOPHOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the canamp a warm amp though? i havn't tried it with any decent cans yet

i think the canamp adds some colour to the sound, and yes warms it up and ramps up the bass too

if you want warmth another vote for DAC-AH + mods if you can

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stello DA100 is getting warm, almost hot after some use.
But that's a bit over your $300 budget.

You really mean that the case get hot from working? I know this from Class-A headphone amps (especially asian amps), but i can´t imagine this from a DAC.

Benchmark says their DAC1 uses 8 Watts typical program, 16 Watts peak.

I don´t know how the DA is constructed. But heatness is a no go for me. Gets the Stello HP100 also as hot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back