"WAR OF THE WORLDS" thread....
Jul 2, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #46 of 97
Son: "Are they Europeans then?"
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #47 of 97
They never beamed people into the pods, they yanked them up with their tentacle-like arms. The beams were only used to vaporize the people and buildings. When Ray is running away from a tripod during the intitial attack a woman is vaporized right in front of him and he runs through and is covered by the dust-like remains of her body. Concerning the clothes in the field I think that was just random debrie.

Jul 3, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #48 of 97
yes afterwords I was wondering if the beams were beaming people away, but then I remembered 1) opening beam attack scene where you could see people getting sliced in half by the beams and 2) Tom Cruise being covered in cremated ashes.

Jul 3, 2005 at 11:59 AM Post #49 of 97
From the cover on the new Ed Gorey illustrated edition of WotW there are the war machines and people running away from them in flames. I chuckled.

Jul 3, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #50 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
in the very beginning the lazers simply vaporized people, you could see people exploding into dust because of the heat, and how it cut through the buildings. It was only later that they were beaming people into the pods and leaving the clothes flying.

somehow i doubt it was just 'heat' alone.. if so, then how did the clothes survive?
confused.gif

i liked the feeling of utter despair i got when i watched the movie, but i'm weird anyway.
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #51 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
i liked the feeling of utter despair i got when i watched the movie, but i'm weird anyway.
biggrin.gif

and that's the way you're supposed to feel while watching this movie.
wink.gif
i felt the same way... and for that fact the movie works on so many levels.

it's not a cliched hero saves the world type of movie, however way you slice it. we were following a single group of characters, and maybe that's why there seems to be plot holes and unexplained events along the way. we only know what Ray knows.

cinematography was great, the sound was really great. i'm sure the DVD version will be awesome on the home-theatre.

Jul 4, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #52 of 97
Just got out of it. Rumors of it being heavily 9/11 inspired (both in take and date) are certainly true. In fact I think an argument could be made that as fiction this may have caputured some of those feelings better than any other popular/commercial venture has yet.

Listen the film has problems, but I gotta say a great deal of the detail talk in this thread (the red vines aren't explained, etc.) is weird and statements like that Batman was more emotionally envolving is just plain scary.

Jul 4, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #53 of 97
I think war of the worlds is the worst movie I have ever watched and I have watched some bad movies. It was like Spielberg tried to make a good movie, but halfway through filming he realized he was too short on money and film and then tried to create some sort of cheap ending, that would satisfy people. First gripe: where is the plot???, where did those things come from (as in what planet or where)?? What was the vein stuff???? what killed the monsters???? how come Tom Cruises car always works??? How come the emp set off and yet somehow his car worked the second time???. Second gripe: its called war of the worlds not talk and skulk in a basement for 40 minutes. Third Gripe: Tom cruise is not a very good actor. Fourth Gripe: that little girl was annoyng as hell. These are my gripes. I have never read the book so take it easy on the "in the book it explains it all".

Jul 4, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #54 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twigs
I think war of the worlds is the worst movie I have ever watched and I have watched some bad movies. It was like Spielberg tried to make a good movie, but halfway through filming he realized he was too short on money and film and then tried to create some sort of cheap ending, that would satisfy people. First gripe: where is the plot???, where did those things come from (as in what planet or where)?? What was the vein stuff???? what killed the monsters???? how come Tom Cruises car always works??? How come the emp set off and yet somehow his car worked the second time???. Second gripe: its called war of the worlds not talk and skulk in a basement for 40 minutes. Third Gripe: Tom cruise is not a very good actor. Fourth Gripe: that little girl was annoyng as hell. These are my gripes. I have never read the book so take it easy on the "in the book it explains it all".

you just happened to hate the story and walked into the wrong auditorium. Take it easy,
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #55 of 97
Not the best movie I have ever seen, but certainly good enough to see twice. I will watch it again on Wednesday.

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #56 of 97
just saw "War of the Worlds" yesterday and didn't care for it. Certainly not the worst I have seen but pretty weak overall. 65/100 on my scale

Jul 5, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #57 of 97
Quote:

What was the vein stuff????

Aliens were terraforming the planet to make it habitable(sp) if i remember correctly there was lots of fog after the red stuff formed showing that they were changing the atmospheres composure.
Quote:

what killed the monsters????

Well in the books it was the common cold but in the movie it was the microbes that were introduced in the beginning and then showed in the end.
Quote:

How come the emp set off and yet somehow his car worked the second time???

There was no second Emp the plane crashed because it was most likely shot down or hit an emp farther away.

My biggest gripe with the movie was the humor that was thrown in. Sure it got a little chuckle out of me but it was completely unnecessary and just stupid. In a high tension movie I don't want to hear about how much Peach Schnapps sucks

Jul 5, 2005 at 10:56 AM Post #58 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by madcow235
There was no second Emp the plane crashed because it was most likely shot down or hit an emp farther away.

i would agree with this assessment. anyone noticed the lack of bodies in the plane wreckage and the large amount of clothes lying around?
blink.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 11:33 AM Post #59 of 97
Well...all my opinions have already been said, so i'll cut them short

+Intro
-Brother with the stock ipod earbuds
eek.gif

-screaming sister
+effects
+basement scene had me on the edge of my seat, but about half way through it started becoming repetitive
-terrible ending

A tip out to Vancouver/Richmond Headfiers. Dont go to the Richmond 6 at Richmond Centre. Their surround sound isnt surround anymore. When i went to see it, it only had sound coming from the center and left front of the theatre. I came out with a headache
rolleyes.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #60 of 97
Good:
Camera positioning, you're always in the middle of the action where appropriate.
Effects, landscape (i.e. when they came out of their parents' house), "atmophere."
Depiction of human nature (both good and evil)

Bad:
Sister/brother extremely cliched.
Many parts similar to Independent's Day, the whole impenetrable shield --> virus brings shields down sequence, the look of the aliens.
What ending -- their grandparent's neighborhood was untouched while surrounded by destruction?!! Brother just showed up out of nowhere...

Do these tripods seem similar to those in HL2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back