"WAR OF THE WORLDS" thread....
Jun 29, 2005 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
To my shock and amazement, nobody else has started a thread about this movie.

I just saw a 11:20 AM showing of it. Thought it was good, but overall I thought Batman Begins was a better film.

Jun 29, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 97
I'm not sure the advance publicity was very effective for this movie. None of the movie trailers actually show the aliens or any of the big special effects... this gives it a sort of "made for TV movie" feel (where they show mostly people because they can't afford heavy special effects).

I understand the idea behind this... I suppose they want to create suspense that gets people into the theatre, but from the movie trailers you'd have no idea this was one of the summer's big budget thriller movies. My guess is that it will flop unless it gets really good word of mouth, just because the advertising sucks.

Jun 29, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Listening to Jeff Wayne's "war of the worlds" album as we speak....... man this is GOOD........ dunno about the movie but the album kicks "arse"

And the SACD reissue comes out on Tuesday (at least in the US) - mixed into stereo and 5.1 by Jeff Wayne himself. I'll be in line.

-Drew

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Czilla9000
Thought it was good, but overall I thought Batman Begins was a better film.

Hmmm, looks like this is $8.50 I can put towards audio then! I didn't much care for Batman Begins, but would you really say it was better than War of the Worlds?

I've been hearing all over the radio that this was *the* summer action flick to see
confused.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 97
I'll buy a ticket to another movie and go in and see this. After Tom's bizzare behavior as of late I figure that's the only way I could send a message. Don't want him to have any of my $...

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
I'll buy a ticket to another movie and go in and see this. After Tom's bizzare behavior as of late I figure that's the only way I could send a message. Don't want him to have any of my $...

yea tom sucks now,

i used to like him back in the risky buisness, top gun, the color of money days.

Who is this new tom? I think it's an alien.

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 97
Why do you guys care about what Tom does in his public and private life? How does that have any bearing on whether you go see the movie? Celebrities only matter because you think they do.

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman

Great idea. I think that's what I'm gonna do as well...

cool.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #12 of 97
Tom Cruise is a goofball... but it sure was nice to see captain dip crap Matt Lauer get schooled!

As far as supporting movies by actors because of their personal politics, there are certain people I make a point to avoid but then again most of Hollywood is whacked anyway.

The movie looks like it has big potential, Spielberg usually does a good job on the epic battles like this. I just hope it's not another let down like that awful ID4 crap. The trick as usual with these is to combine good quality acting, writing, and FX.... we'll see.

After Episode III it will have a tough time standing tall IMGO (In My Geeky Opinion)
eggosmile.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 97
I've seen the previews and omg I can't help but ball over them! I cannot wait to see this! Has everything going for it so far.

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Hmmm, looks like this is $8.50 I can put towards audio then! I didn't much care for Batman Begins, but would you really say it was better than War of the Worlds?

I've been hearing all over the radio that this was *the* summer action flick to see
confused.gif

Well "War of the Worlds" has more explosive action than "Batman Begins". However, I enjoyed "Batman Begins" more due to the ideology. In terms of mindless action War of the Worlds is better.

If you thought Batman Begins lacked action and was boring because of it, you'd probably enjoy War of the Worlds more. If you like more contemplative movies, Batman Begins is better.

Basically, if you want less thought more action then War of the Worlds is better.

If you want less action but more thought then Batman is better.

Both are very good however. I just liked Batman more.

EDIT: I am still amazed that nobody else on Head-Fi has seen it.

On interesting thing is that spielberg did not feel the need to put excessive action that does not help the story. That is balls, because he could of if he wanted to.

Jun 29, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Czilla9000
Well "War of the Worlds" has more explosive action than "Batman Begins". However, I enjoyed "Batman Begins" more due to the ideology. In terms of mindless action War of the Worlds is better.

If you thought Batman Begins lacked action and was boring because of it, you'd probably enjoy War of the Worlds more. If you like more contemplative movies, Batman Begins is better.

Basically, if you want less thought more action then War of the Worlds is better.

If you want less action but more thought then Batman is better.

Both are very good however. I just liked Batman more.

It's "War Of The Worlds" so I'd imagine that the jest of the movie is in the title. Alien planet attacks Earth, Earth rallies together to defend. Doesn't seem to be room for a great deal of depth (with exception to battle strategies). So I guess the blunt question is was it a good war/save the world from ending movie??

How does it compare to other apocalyptic movies??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back