Wanting to upgrade from AD700 (Considering Sennheiser 598s) Looking for more bass
Dec 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Zowzout123

New Head-Fier
As the title states I'm looking to upgrade from my AD700's.  My price range is $200-$250.  I am considering the 598's and wondering if that would be a good way to go.
I'm looking for more bass, but I'm not a bass head and not really looking for a ton of boom, honestly i liked the AD700's but just wish there was a little more bass.  Upgrading because my dog chewed up my cord on the AD700 and I cant properly repair it to work full time.  

Any other suggestions would be welcomed, I don't care if its opened or closed headphones, I just want something nice.  And again, I did like the AD700's, enjoyed the sound and found it pleasing, but more bass wouldn't kill me :)  If you have suggestions on headphones that are similar to the AD700's and are also light on bass, I will still listen :) 

Thanks for any input given! :)

Edit - I should probably put my intended uses lol.  I listen to music often and I game.  I don't need these for competition or anything like that, I rarely play FPS and could care less about pinpointing footsteps, I just want the game to sound good and my music to sound great.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
As the title states I'm looking to upgrade from my AD700's.  My price range is $200-$250.  I am considering the 598's and wondering if that would be a good way to go.
I'm looking for more bass, but I'm not a bass head and not really looking for a ton of boom, honestly i liked the AD700's but just wish there was a little more bass.  Upgrading because my dog chewed up my cord on the AD700 and I cant properly repair it to work full time.  

Any other suggestions would be welcomed, I don't care if its opened or closed headphones, I just want something nice.  And again, I did like the AD700's, enjoyed the sound and found it pleasing, but more bass wouldn't kill me :)  If you have suggestions on headphones that are similar to the AD700's and are also light on bass, I will still listen :) 

Thanks for any input given! :)

Edit - I should probably put my intended uses lol.  I listen to music often and I game.  I don't need these for competition or anything like that, I rarely play FPS and could care less about pinpointing footsteps, I just want the game to sound good and my music to sound great.

Are you plugging the ATH-AD700s straight into the motherboard's on-board audio or an add-on sound card?

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 9
Actually I have a desktop set of Logitech Z-2300 speakers that I plug into the volume control.  Its hard to explain, and that's probably why its not as good as it could be, but I've also plugged it into the front 3.5 mm jack on the PC and didn't notice a difference.  I don't have a dedicated sound card, just the on-board, but I was told it wouldn't make much of a difference.  Maybe I was informed incorrectly.  Even still, I hear that most people complain about the lack of bass from the AD700's so i'm sure some of them also have it amped and still think its lacking.

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Actually I have a desktop set of Logitech Z-2300 speakers that I plug into the volume control.  Its hard to explain, and that's probably why its not as good as it could be, but I've also plugged it into the front 3.5 mm jack on the PC and didn't notice a difference.  I don't have a dedicated sound card, just the on-board, but I was told it wouldn't make much of a difference.  Maybe I was informed incorrectly.  Even still, I hear that most people complain about the lack of bass from the AD700's so i'm sure some of them also have it amped and still think its lacking.

I never use my AD700s anymore because of the light bass, and the AD700s really do not change very much when amped.
But adding a sound card with a better DAC will help audio quality.
Even the Asus Xonar DG ($25) sound card will improve audio quality, plug the speakers into the back panel and new headphones into the front panel headphone jack.

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 9
I never use my AD700s anymore because of the light bass, and the AD700s really do not change very much when amped.
But adding a sound card with a better DAC will help audio quality.
Even the Asus Xonar DG ($25) sound card will improve audio quality, plug the speakers into the back panel and new headphones into the front panel headphone jack.

I agree with this, but want to clarify that a new pair of cans are probably still the best answer for OP. That said, a ~$20 soundcard would probably be a good investment as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back