Wanting to get into Vinyl for use with Headphones.
Jan 10, 2013 at 7:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

KCxSmacker

500+ Head-Fier
Greetings all,

So I have been trying to resist for a while, but the more I research, the more I want Vinyl. I have done some basic research, and I am hoping to have simply some suggestions on turntables, cartridges, and phono pre-amps that would work well. 

I like warming sounding music and listen to many genres. According to what I have read pre-amps can really change the sound of the music with a turntable. 

Right now all I have besides headphones and a computer/soundcard is a Schiit Asguard.

From what I have read, for a headphone setup you would need the Turntable, a phono pre-amp, and a headphones amp for a complete setup. 

My budget should be anywhere from say 400-600 dollars? I can maybe Adjust but that range seems to give decent fidelity from what I have seen. 

Turntables I have been eyeing : 

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica AT-LP120:[/size]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p23_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=18K7ECTHHCTT8FS2ZF46&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Numark TTXUSB:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-NUM-TTXUSB-LIST?SRC=W1209CREE1209SRT&utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=retargeting

Only Phono Pre-amp I have looked at is the TC-750 : http://www.amazon.com/TC-750-BLACK-Audiophile-Phono-Preamplifier/dp/B000A36LQ4

Cartriidges:

[size=1.7em] Shure M97xE:[/size]

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-M97xE-High-Performance-Magnetic-Cartridge/dp/B00006I5SB/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357820595&sr=1-1&keywords=phono+cartridge

Again I am hoping for a number of ideas on what I could get and what would be the best for a newbie like myself. 

Another thing is accessories for my setup. Are there suggested cleaning supplies/ dust prevention products that you headfiers suggest?

(Location is the Midwest. Close to Kansas City. If location matters at all as far as access to product suggestions)

Thanks for all the help in advance ^_~!

cheers

EDIT: I also have some Harman Kardon Sound Sticks III. Nothing super special but I might hook them up to the setup for friends coming over etc. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 14
You can consider the Denon DP-300f. It comes with an ok cartridge and has a built in phono-amp and can plug direct into your Asguard. Later you can upgrade the cartridge or get a better phono amp or just spend the $$ on LPs.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 14
You can consider the Denon DP-300f. It comes with an ok cartridge and has a built in phono-amp and can plug direct into your Asguard. Later you can upgrade the cartridge or get a better phono amp or just spend the $$ on LPs.

Ok cool. I will keep this one in mind for the low end/easy setup choice. Seems nice being all in one.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 14
If you look at Agon, there are lots of vinyl pieces on there.  I was actually trying to spec out a basic vinyl setup for my brother the other day and I came up with a pretty decent rig (including headphones but minus turntable) for $500.  I had to think fast before he ordered one of those all-in-one USB/CD/turntable monstrosities from Bed, Bath & Beyond of all places. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
If you look at Agon, there are lots of vinyl pieces on there.  I was actually trying to spec out a basic vinyl setup for my brother the other day and I came up with a pretty decent rig (including headphones but minus turntable) for $500.  I had to think fast before he ordered one of those all-in-one USB/CD/turntable monstrosities from Bed, Bath & Beyond of all places. 

Agon? Not sure what that is. Can't find a website at least. Those all in ones do look pretty cheap. I read you want to say away from turntables with pre-amps in them too, but IDK.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Hey Mal long time no see! Probably out of all my inventory I would use:

HE-400
Denon D5000
Mad Dog - modded t50rp Fostex
Sony MDR-1R Brown/Silver
Sennheiser 598

The top three probably the most 

Cool,

Would probably go with the HE-400 primarily with Vinyl. The AudioTechnica you picked out is one I've looked at. I've used a few AT's for vinyl, and they were ok. You have it driven with direct drive instead of belts, so you're good to go in that sense. If it's your first turntable, it's a good entry point.

Very best,

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #9 of 14
Agon = Audiogon.  Sorry for the abbreviation.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 14
Jan 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 14
OK just got 

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica AT-LP120[/size]

Ordered like 20 vinyls already ^_^. Oh god I see my wallet going bye bye already. 

Thanks for the help guys. 

cheers

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
OK just got 

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica AT-LP120[/size]

Ordered like 20 vinyls already ^_^. Oh god I see my wallet going bye bye already. 

Thanks for the help guys. 

cheers

Here's one of my most recent albums. It will test all ranges of audio. Highly recommended.

Very best,

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #13 of 14
Listen before you invest money. Some people (including me) are very annoyed by the surface noise of LPs. This is all perfectly audible in high quality headphone setups.
For me, digital is a great improvement, especially, when talking about headphones. 
I'd invest the money in a really good (SA - ) CD player. And I mean really good, not the 500 $ class. Or, if you prefer virtual sources, into a first class DAC.

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #14 of 14
I like my vinyl on speakers, not on headphones. You hear just way to much of the imperfect playback technology with headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back